A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Hey all! If you don't know me I'm Deschain from the old Rotten Tomatoes forum and more recently the Correrieno, which just closed down.

This is a thread for everything horror and the people who love them. So welcome!

Hey all! If you don't know me I'm Deschain from the old Rotten Tomatoes forum and more recently the Correrieno, which just closed down.

This is a thread for everything horror and the people who love them. So welcome!
Welcome to MoFo! I noticed we had an influx of new members and one of them also mentioned Correrieno. What was Correrieno? I did a quick internet search but couldn't find it.

I cram horror all through October. Some stuff I watched in the last few days:

Dr. Sleep was really good and pretty close to the book. The movie ups the member berries which is mildly annoying but it doesn't impact the enjoyment too much.

Doom Annihilation was pretty subpar in all elements especially the acting, sets, and special effects. I heard this was bad but I'm a Doom fan so I checked it out anyway. It could have been fine if it was a little more competently made. The script is literally just Aliens with a Doom skin on it so I didn't think it'd be that hard to do. And how do you have a Doom movie without Doom Guy?

Revenge was damn good. Very simple and straightforward and more of a thriller than a horror but definitely effective. And I loved how much blood there was in this.

In Search of Darkness, a four and a half hour documentary on '80s horror, was definitely fluffy and nostalgic but not much else. And with it's desire to cram in as many movies as possible they don't dive too deep into any of them.

Downrange was surprisingly pretty good. Found this browsing on Shudder and it kept me engaged throughout. The acting is pretty bad but it's intense and gory and kept me guessing the whole way through.

The Furies was one I heard was real good but was kinda disappointed. It all felt so basic and done before. Also all the women were supposed to be like high school aged but felt way older which was a little confusing.

Welcome to MoFo! I noticed we had an influx of new members and one of them also mentioned Correrieno. What was Correrieno? I did a quick internet search but couldn't find it.
It's a relatively obscure movie forum several of us here posted at. I've posted at this place a bit in the past (you may or may not remember me), but never stuck around for some reason. Since Corrierino is closed down though, I plan to post here a lot more.

Thanks! it was a very small forum a bunch of us navigated to after the Rotten Tomatoes forums went down. It was run by a former RTer too who I think forgot it even existed for a while until he shut it down like 3 days ago.

Hey, cool, welcome. I remember RT from way back in the day, I was a regular there maybe 15-16 years ago.

Yeah, harder and harder to find longform forum/movie discussion. Glad you found us. Looking forward to seeing good horror recs/thoughts in this thread.

I gotta say, if we are to stay here, we need to know the situation here. How solid is this? I mean, we need assurances.

Hey, cool, welcome. I remember RT from way back in the day, I was a regular there maybe 15-16 years ago.

Yeah, harder and harder to find longform forum/movie discussion. Glad you found us. Looking forward to seeing good horror recs/thoughts in this thread.
Thanks! And the thread is for everyone to discuss horror not just me.

I gotta say, if we are to stay here, we need to now the situation here. How solid is this? I mean, we need assurances.
I offer you no assurance and hazy threats in response to the question.

Welcome!

I offer you no assurance and hazy threats in response to the question.

Welcome!
Seriously, though, thanks

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Neat. I USED to love the RT forums. I don't remember much of it at all at this point, but I remember things took a turn for the worse (IMO), when forums on specific movies were consolidated into some generic catchall forum. I spent less and less time there as a result of the restructure as it became more difficult to find the threads I wanted, then one day I heard it was gone completely. I find it easy enough to learn an existing structure or logic but difficult to re-learn once that structure changes as dramatically as I remember it being at the time. Sad. I actually wrote a few reviews back then. Not so much anymore. I hate that I have not learned of Correrieno before now.

Anyhoo. Welcome to the forums, to all of you (and welcome back to one of you?), now that you're all popping in to this thread. Just a nice trick bank shot to get this out all at once

Also, horror stuff. @cat_sidhe

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Neat. I USED to love the RT forums. I don't remember much of it at all at this point, but I remember things took a turn for the worse (IMO), when forums on specific movies were consolidated into some generic catchall forum. I spent less and less time there as a result of the restructure as it became more difficult to find the threads I wanted, then one day I heard it was gone completely. I find it easy enough to learn an existing structure or logic but difficult to re-learn once that structure changes as dramatically as I remember it being at the time. Sad. I actually wrote a few reviews back then. Not so much anymore. I hate that I have not learned of Correrieno before now.

Anyhoo. Welcome to the forums, to all of you (and welcome back to one of you?), now that you're all popping in to this thread. Just a nice trick bank shot to get this out all at once

Also, horror stuff. @cat_sidhe

Thanks! And yeah, I've been here a bit in the past. Just never stuck around that long. Kind of wish I did, but now's the time to rectify that.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Thanks! And yeah, I've been here a bit in the past. Just never stuck around that long. Kind of wish I did, but now's the time to rectify that.

I'm digging that name btw. lol

I gotta say, if we are to stay here, we need to know the situation here. How solid is this? I mean, we need assurances.
Right?? Talk about abandonment issues, jeez. I'm not unpacking any of these boxes just yet.

Hi, I too am a Rotten Tomatoes and Corrierino refugee. Nice forum you have here.

Here are some short assessments of the horror movies I've watched so far this month:

Razorback - Probably the best Russell Mulcahy (Highlander, Ricochet) work I've seen so far. You could describe it as Jaws with a pig, but it has its own unique style and visuals. There's a surreal sequence in the middle that will make you check what's in your drink. The humans are a bit more scarier than the pig, however.

Overlord - It's labeled as a horror movie, but it's not that scary. It's still a very entertaining World War II action flick. If you loathed Pilou Asbaek in Game of Thrones, you'll really do so in this.

The Monster (2016) - If darkness and claustrophobia are what get your heart racing, this movie will do just that. Zoe Kazan and young newcomer Ella Ballentine and give very good performances. There are a quite a few flashbacks, which I'm not always a fan of, but movie places them at just the right times and each one provides meaningful character development.

The Skull - If you're a Peter Cushing fan, you'll love it. It's very close to being a one-man Peter Cushing show. He is scarily convincing as someone who has lost touch with reality and who has let his obsession with dark and disturbing collectibles take over his life (let that be warning to you, just kidding).

Hardware - Even if you've seen all the killer robot movies from Screamers to all the Terminators, you should still check it out. It has an atmosphere that expertly captures the hopelessness of dystopian life and the claustrophobia and grimness of being in what might as well be the last intact apartment building on Earth. What's more, it has a hilariously creepy performance from William Hootkins (Red 6 from Star Wars).

The Void - Disappointing, but I still recommend it for its visuals and performances. My main problem with it is that it combines the one-location thriller like Assault on Precinct 13 with sci-fi horror like The Thing and the malformed connective tissue between the two left me with too many unanswered questions to become fully involved.

Wes Craven's New Nightmare - It's probably my third favorite Nightmare on Elm Street behind Dream Warriors and the first one. Not much else to say about it other than I loved to see people like John Saxon and Wes Craven himself play small roles in it. It's also surprisingly similar to David Lynch's Inland Empire.

Near Dark - I already discussed it in the other horror thread, but again, it's one of the best vampire movies I've ever seen. It plays a bit fast and loose with vampire rules, so if you're a vampire purist, it may not be your cup of blood...err...tea.

Also, what do you all eat or drink while Horrorcramming? I've been drinking Howling Gourds Pumpkin Ale, which I like, although the vanilla sometimes overwhelms the pumpkin spice flavor.

Also, what do you all eat or drink while Horrorcramming? I've been drinking Howling Gourds Pumpkin Ale, which I like, although the vanilla sometimes overwhelms the pumpkin spice flavor.

Just some plain old boring hot chocolate for me. Pumpkin Ale sounds good though.