The MoFo Top 100 of the Seventies

→ in
Tools    

Will definitely watch that one! From Cassavetes I also still want to see Opening Night and The Killing of a Chinese Bookie for this list.

I have a question about the latter, though. Should I watch the long original theatrical version or the director's cut by Cassavetes himself that came out 2 years later?
i'm fairly certain i saw the theatrical version, but i'm not sure. it's usually a good idea to watch the director's cut if you can get your hands on it, though. i was a little bored by chinese bookie when i watched it, but i've been having a lot of fond memories of it lately and i think i may have underrated it, as i initially did with AWUTI. might have to rewatch it some time soon.

opening night might have had the biggest impact of all of his films for me upon first watch, but a lot of people consider it to be one of his lesser films. it's definitely more accessible than chinese bookie, at least. another amazing performance by rowlands.

minnie & moskowitz and mikey & nicky are also essential 70s cassavetes, even though the latter isn't technically directed by him.

and my 70s wishlist has 182 films, so i win (or lose?).

These are the '70s films I have available and am still planning to watch for this list:

Barry Lyndon
All the President's Men
A Woman Under the Influence
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
Amarcord
California Split
(I only have the DVD cut available, but I'd love to be able to watch the original one)
Enter the Dragon
Get Carter

High Anxiety
Le Cercle Rouge
Murder on the Orient Express
Opening Night
The Killing of a Chinese Bookie
(see question above)
Sleuth
Solaris
The Deer Hunter
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie

The Phantom of Liberty
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Turkish Delight

Obviously it's possible that I won't see all of them in time and that I'll see some other '70s films that are not on this list yet along the way. I just listed these to give you all an idea of what I'll probably still watch before sending in my list.
The ones in red are the ones I've seen. Get Carter and Murder on the Orient Express are the only two I dislike. All the others I recommend to varying degrees, although only one or two of those will probably make my own list. The second half of The Deer Hunter is great, but the 70's Countdown will probably be over before you get past the never-ending wedding sequence of the first half.

It's worth mentioning how good Peter Falk is as well. It would be easy to shrink into the background and let Rowlands do her stuff but he keeps up with her and is definitely part of what makes that movie great IMO.
This. I watched the movie quite recently and while Gena Rowlands' performance was really good, I thought Peter Falk's was far superior.

The ones in red are the ones I've seen. Get Carter and Murder on the Orient Express are the only two I dislike. All the others I recommend to varying degrees, although only one or two of those will probably make my own list. The second half of The Deer Hunter is great, but the 70's Countdown will probably be over before you get past the never-ending wedding sequence of the first half.
I'd also recommend skipping Murder On The Orient Express, unless you particularly like Christie. However, I couldn't recommend Get Carter highly enough. Up there just behind The Long Good Friday in terms of British gangster films, IMO. There again, I prefered the first half of The Deer Hunter to the second, so what do I know?

Which version of California Split did you see, Captain?
I have no idea. I watched it on Turner Classic Movies. It's a very good movie, though. Reminds me a bit of The Sting, but with much less plot and more focus on the characters.

Love all this '70s chatter! Definitely my favorite decade of film.

ROBERT ALTMAN of course had an amazing decade, and an amazing career. MASH, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Nashville, and The Long Goodbye likely don't need much help, as their profiles are significant enough and are well known. Whether they show up on a lot of lists or not, I think most of you are at least aware of them. But Altman made other interesting and memorable films than just those four, in the decade.

California Split is a good one. I wish Segal had done more work with Altman, though it is Gould's charisma that really drives the flick. Like much of Altman's work, the best moments don't arise from major plot points or twists, but from the small detail and idiosyncrasies of character and human behavior. Drunkenly trying to name all seven dwarfs, for example, is brilliantly funny and true.

Images is quite good, a cinematic cousin of Polanski's Repulsion and Bergman's Persona, with a nicely textured and tortured performance by Susanna York. It may be Altman's least-known film from that period of his career, but very much worth discovering. Thieves Like Us is adapted from the same source novel as Nicholas Ray's debut They Live by Night. On the surface it may be dismissed as a Bonnie & Clyde knock-off, but it is most definitely an Altman, through and through, and for those who responded to the gritty, muddy, unromantic look at the Old West in McCabe & Mrs. Miller, you will find much the same kind of attitude here towards the Great Depression.

I wouldn't say 3 Women is well known, exactly, but it being part of The Criterion Collection certainly raised its profile in the past fifteen years or so, and it is probably one of his most divisive love it or hate it projects. For me, Buffalo Bill & the Indians or: Sitting Bull's History Lesson is among Altman's most disappointing, because it had so much potential to be great but never seems to quite work. A Wedding likewise squanders an amazing cast, and at times it almost plays like an Altman parody, like an extended "SCTV" take on what Altman is about. I think his techniques have nothing to work with, in that one. And both Quintet and A Perfect Couple are pretty darn bad, the former being so high concept that it lacks any humanity, the latter stripping away the large ensembles of his best known films to examine two characters more closely...unfortunately they don't really warrant close examination.

In addition to Images, Thieves Like Us, and California Split, the other lesser-known '70s Altman I'd definitely recommend taking a look at is Brewster McCloud. Released the same year as MASH, if Altman's narrative techniques and sensibilities seemed bizarre in that extremely 1970 popular film to audiences of the day, I can only imagine how the odd, satirical parable of Brewster was taken?

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	cal split.jpg
Views:	1367
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	14827   Click image for larger version

Name:	brewster.jpg
Views:	1422
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	14828   Click image for larger version

Name:	images poster.jpg
Views:	1348
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	14831   Click image for larger version

Name:	images car.jpg
Views:	1405
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	14835  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

yeah, images is really underrated and probably my third favorite altman, behind the long goodbye and maybe short cuts. 3 women is a must-watch too, and i really like brewster mccloud.

I'd also recommend skipping Murder On The Orient Express, unless you particularly like Christie. However, I couldn't recommend Get Carter highly enough. Up there just behind The Long Good Friday in terms of British gangster films, IMO. There again, I prefered the first half of The Deer Hunter to the second, so what do I know?
I love Get Carter too, so i hope it will be on your 70's list like it will mine . Weirdly enough i also preferred the first half of The Deer Hunter, i always found it more interesting even when i was younger and didn't have the patience for some of the drawn out scenes in the first half. Regardless i'm not really a fan of The Deer Hunter, so it wont be on my list.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
There again, I prefered the first half of The Deer Hunter to the second, so what do I know?
Me too.

All these people who haven't seen Le Cercle Rouge, I vote that you watch that sometime in the next 8 weeks (or however long we have left).

Mmmmm so much '70s goodness. I'm crossing my fingers that Altman and Cassavetes get the love they deserve, probably the two best filmmakers of the decade IMO.

Guap has read The Giving Tree and Pride and Prejudice and judged this as "English literature"
I admit I haven't read much English language literature (haven't read anything by Shakespeare at school for instance, instead I read those classics of Portuguese literature) But overall I honestly say that I liked the first two thousand pages of Lone and Wolf and Cub better than Dune and Lord of the Rings, which are considered among the best English language literature has to offer in terms of genre literature. It's indeed a great work of art that belongs to the favorites works of fiction of many people. Your ignorant aggression is completely unnecessary.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Am I the only person who's not watching more 70's stuff because of the countdown? I'd say I haven't seen anything from the 70's for quite a long time. Anything widely known, that is.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I'm not. The only one I wanted to see before the submission deadline was The Mirror.

I admit I haven't read much English language literature (haven't read anything by Shakespeare at school for instance, instead I read those classics of Portuguese literature) But overall I honestly say that I liked the first two thousand pages of Lone and Wolf and Cub better than Dune and Lord of the Rings, which are considered among the best English language literature has to offer in terms of genre literature. It's indeed a great work of art that belongs to the favorites works of fiction of many people. Your ignorant aggression is completely unnecessary.
I don't think Dune and Lord of the rings are enough to classify all of English literature.

Cinematographer Gordon Willis' passing (see THIS THREAD) brings up a LOT of great 1970s movies. He shot three Best Picture winners in that decade, The Godfather, The Godfather Part II and Annie Hall as well as the nominee All the President’s Men. Those need less than no help to appear on many a list.

But he did some beautiful work in films that are less famous.

I think most would agree that The Drowning Pool is not in the same class as Chinatown, Night Moves, or The Long Goodbye for '70s private detective movies, but I do like it an awful lot, and would place it firmly on a second tier with The Late Show. The Drowning Pool is a sequel to Harper, which Paul Newman starred in back in 1966. After nine years, they decided to make a second one. It wound up the last (though the underrated Twilight from 1998 feels like a spiritual, unofficial entry). I think Newman is at his most effortlessly cool yet vulnerable here, and while perhaps the mystery isn’t super complex, the Louisiana setting and top-notch cast elevate it for me. I doubt it is going to make a lot of top twenty-five lists, but if you like detective thrillers and Newman, it’s a very good watch. Gordon Willis’ work is nice, though not as revolutionary or as lovely as some of his others from the ‘70s.

Bad Company I mentioned in my earlier post of alternative Westerns, but I didn’t go into detail about it. Directed by Robert Benton, it stars Barry Brown as a young feller who avoids the draft for the American Civil War by heading out into the untamed West. In Missouri he is bushwhacked by Jeff Bridges, and ultimately joins up with his band of young, desperate, not-too-bright outlaws (which also includes John Savage). It is a very unromantic, demythologizing look at life on the plains. No John Waynes or Clint Eastwoods here, just desperation and circumstance.

Benton had co-written the screenplay for Bonnie & Clyde, and Bad Company was his feature debut. He made two more movies in the 1970s: the aforementioned The Late Show with Art Carney and Lily Tomlin, and the Best Picture winning Kramer vs. Kramer.

The other Western Gordon Willis lensed was Alan J. Pakula’s Comes a Horseman. Their other collaborations in the decade, Klute, The Parallax View, and All the President’s Men, are all better known and more widely seen than Comes a Horseman. It features a star cast of Jane Fonda, released the same year that she would earn her second Best Actress win for Coming Home, James Caan, and Jason Robards, who had won Best Supporting Actor the previous two years for All the President’s Men and Julia. But for the powerhouse cast and elemental story types, it never fully comes together. It is magnificently shot by Willis, one of my favorites from him. And if nothing else, it gave us Richard Farnsworth as an actor. He had been a stunt man since he was a kid in the 1930s! But Comes a Horseman was really the first time he was given a part that was more than a bit, and he makes the most of it. It resulted in an Oscar nomination for Supporting Actor, the only nod the film received.

Annie Hall and Manhattan are both well known and loved in Woody Allen’s canon, and Willis shot both of them. But he was also the D.P. on Interiors, which remains one of Woody’s most divisive pictures. Sandwiched in between those other two hits, Interiors is a purposefully muted, quiet drama that owes more to Ingmar Bergman (who Woody adores) than it does to The Marx Brothers. It seems to be equally praised and reviled. That reputation is what generally keeps it being one of the last movies a new Woody devotee takes a gander at. Again, love it or lump it, Willis’ photography is definitely a highlight.

Hal Ashby is another director who had a marvelous decade, with Harold & Maude, The Last Detail, Shampoo, Bound for Glory, Coming Home, and Being There. But before all of those triumphs, his debut, The Landlord, was shot by Gordon Willis. The tale of a rich white kid, played by Beau Bridges, buying a tenement in Park Slope hoping to destroy it but becoming enamored with the low-income, racially diverse residents is well done, for what it is, but extremely dated and I think easily the least of those seven films Ashby exploded out of the gates with. Probably unlikely to show up on multiple lists here, but if you have just discovered Hal Ashby, or broadened your appreciation for him, The Landlord is surely worth seeing.

A dark and insane comedy that is dated but holds up much better for me is Alan Arkin’s debut as director, Little Murders, adapting Jules Feiffer’s play and starring Elliott Gould. It came out the same year as the slick Klute, and that’s the picture that really started to establish more fully his aesthetic of darkness and negative space. But I think the twisted fun of Little Murders is much more engaging at this point than the thrills of Klute, even if visually it is Pakula’s film that is much better regarded and remembered (mainly for Jane Fonda’s Oscar-winning turn).

The Paper Chase’s look at what it takes to survive Harvard Law was very well known at the time, even spawning a television series that starred the breakout performer who was not Timothy Bottoms nor even the pre-”Bionic Woman” Lindsay Wagner, but John Houseman’s droll, cruel, yet somehow inspiring Professor Charles W. Kingsfield Jr. The then-71-year-old had been Orson Welles’ producer on the stage and in the business ever since. He won Best Supporting Actor at that year’s Oscars, and it started an entire new career for him late in life as an actor. It isn’t Gordon Willis’ best shot film, but it is a crisp aid to the storytelling.

Gordon Willis also shot a couple movies for Irvin Kershner (best known for The Empire Strikes Back): Loving starring George Segal and Eva Marie Saint, and Up the Sandbox starring Babs Streisand. I haven’t watched either in ages. I remember Loving feeling pretty pedestrian, almost TV movie quality, despite a cast that also includes Sterling Hayden and Keenan Wynn, and Sandbox I barely remember at all, having melded in my memory with For Pete’s Sake and even All Night Long. Think I watched them all during the same period. Up the Sandbox is likely due for a re-watch, though something tells me the reason it didn’t separate in my memory is because it isn’t in the same class as Bogdanovich’s What’s Up, Doc?

ANYway, yeah, Gordon Willis had his visual fingerprints all over the decade, not just in those four or five big films likely everybody has heard of/seen.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	drowning newman.jpg
Views:	3948
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	14863   Click image for larger version

Name:	comes a robards.jpg
Views:	1525
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	14864   Click image for larger version

Name:	little murders.jpg
Views:	1486