The 2023 MoFo Film Awards - Nominations

Tools    

It's the wrong time to bring this up, but does anyone else like the idea of a Best Character award for the future?

It's the wrong time to bring this up, but does anyone else like the idea of a Best Character award for the future?
Would've responded to this sooner but for some reason I completely missed this post.

I think there's already too many categories, and I imagine there would probably be a lot of overlap between Best Actor/Actress and Best Character anyway. I doubt there would be many instances where someone loves a character, but doesn't like the actor's performance. That's just my opinion though, I'm open to hearing others.

I haven't yet seen any 2023 films I absolutely loved, but also I don't think I really hated anything either. No strong opinions one way or the other, which might make it more difficult to find films for my ballot. Anyone else having that problem?

Would've responded to this sooner but for some reason I completely missed this post.

I think there's already too many categories, and I imagine there would probably be a lot of overlap between Best Actor/Actress and Best Character anyway. I doubt there would be many instances where someone loves a character, but doesn't like the actor's performance. That's just my opinion though, I'm open to hearing others.

Fair enough. To me, they are different enough. I was thinking about this last year (can't remember whether it was my idea or someone else's), when I probably would have nominated, off the top of my head, Lydia Tar, Albus Dumbledore, and Marcel the Shell. Now Cate Blanchett was obviously a strong contender, but Jude Law and Jenny Slate were never going to win awards for those roles. Though I suppose with twenty slots over four categories for actors, the top five characters are likely to be well represented. Anyway, just wanted to get the question out there while it was still in my brain.

I haven't yet seen any 2023 films I absolutely loved, but also I don't think I really hated anything either. No strong opinions one way or the other, which might make it more difficult to find films for my ballot. Anyone else having that problem?

Yep.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I almost finalized all needed 2023 views and I'm almost ready with the ballot.
Now, I'm just desperately in search for the Aki Kaurismäki's Fallen Leaves to fully complete the foreign language section.

FYI: Films like The Zone of Interest, Poor Things, Fallen Leaves and Perfect Days will be in my next years list as it was well into 2024 when they were released here.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I always see the film year as running from March to February... Anything released in Jan/Feb basically counts as the previous year.

I always see the film year as running from March to February
A lot of businesses seem to have fiscal years like that.

For me, I think it's kind of the opposite. Anything that released theatrically in December 2023 might as well be considered a 2024 film, especially since it's probably not going to get a wide streaming release until later in the spring, or even not until the summer.

I consider movie release year to be US wide theatrical or internet release, since US is the biggest market and it is most usual for movies to be released there first.

I'm having the opposite problem. I've seen so many amazing 2023 films that I am having trouble selecting which ones should come 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. It truly was a terrific year for film

So I'm just being uber harsh and selecting just one fo each award category.

Ever since I've joined this forum, years ago, the MOFO awards have consistently been far better than most of the actual big awards dished out in real life! I always look forward to this thread and the winners announcement. I think it shows the breadth of affection the users of this site have for film, and when there are no external factors or ulterior motives to vote for particular films then a more truer picture materialises of the best films of the year.

I'm hoping this year will be no different .

Some of the films I've been wanting to watch still aren't on streaming, and given that the deadline for nominations is in 10 days, I probably won't be watching many more films, and should probably start working on my ballot and getting the spreadsheets ready.

I'm having the opposite problem. I've seen so many amazing 2023 films that I am having trouble selecting which ones should come 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. It truly was a terrific year for film.
Maybe my depression is just showing its head then haha.

Ever since I've joined this forum, years ago, the MOFO awards have consistently been far better than most of the actual big awards dished out in real life! I always look forward to this thread and the winners announcement. I think it shows the breadth of affection the users of this site have for film
This was really well said, and is the main reason why I really wanted to revive the Awards. I always looked forward to them myself, and there are almost always some lesser-known or underappreciated films that make their way into the categories, and it's refreshing to see that.

There haven't been many lists submitted yet, but I hope now that everyone is done is watching noirs in preparation for the twin Countdowns, we'll see some more 2023 ballots coming in.

Sent my list. Compiling made me think I am going to change the way I log my watches going forward. Things like score and specific scenes are very hard for me to recall. Damn memory.

Things like score and specific scenes are very hard for me to recall. Damn memory.
Yeah, score's usually a tough one for me. The only film I remember any music from at all this year is Barbie, and that's mainly because of that Ken song.

Yeah, score's usually a tough one for me. The only film I remember any music from at all this year is Barbie, and that's mainly because of that Ken song.
What frustrates me is when other people talk about movies and bring up things they love, and I’m like, yeah, I loved that too but didn’t remember it till you brought it up. Oh well, more important things in life than being smart. At least I’m really really ridiculously good looking.

Just finalized my own list. I usually try to see around 50 films before the deadline, and I made it to 44 this time. I was going to wait until the weekend, but I doubt any of the films I've been wanting to see will become available in the next few days.

Looking forward to taking a closer look at the other submitted lists tomorrow, now that my own is locked in. It might still be too early to tell if there are any surprises in store, but I also like to see how the favourites sometimes change as more nominations come in.