Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

Cross Creek
(1983)

Director: Martin Ritt
Writers: Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings(novel), Dalene Young(screenplay)
Cast: Mary Steenburgen, Rip Torn, Peter Coyote, Dana Hill
Genre: Biography, Drama, Romance

In 1928 New York, a would-be writer, Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings finds her dreams of writing a Gothic romance novel smashed, when the legendary literary editor Max Perkins rejects her book. Max Perkins is famous for discovering such noted authors as: Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald and Thomas Wolfe and was the subject of a 2016 film Genius...But this is the story of Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, who after rejection of her writing, leaves her husband to move to the wilds of Florida where she has bought an abandoned orange grove. There she plans to work on her next novel in solitude.

Cross Creek (1983)
, is based on her memories titled Cross Creek. This is her story of her own life in a remote, dirt poor area of Florida, far removed from the closest town. There she encounters the poor folk who live off the land and struggling just to put food on the table.

One of the poor families she makes friends with is the Turner family who would go on to be the subject of her Pulitzer Prize winning fiction novel The Yearling. But Cross Creek is much more than just Marjorie's time with the Turners.

Mary Steenburgen
, plays the novelist. I liked her in this role, she brings a quiet sturdiness which aids the story. It doesn't look like this, prim and proper lady, can live in a jungle, but her tenacity and sheer stubbornness comes through the screen. Another actress might have been overbearing in this role but Mary Steenburgen is enduring and pulled me into her story. I really enjoyed this movie! And this is my second time watching it.

Filmed on location in the wilderness of Florida, the dense undergrowth and the lush greenery becomes part of the story. I have to say I was blown away by Rip Torn as Marsh Turner and Dana Hill who plays his daughter, who has found the young deer and grows attached to it.

Cross Creek is a solid movie and a must for fans of The Yearling.

++
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cross Creek 1983 (3).jpg
Views:	554
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	32830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cross Creek 1983 (1).jpg
Views:	298
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	32833  

Ah, Peter Coyote - he's that actor with the unique voice (sounds a little bit like Henry Fonda).
He does, doesn't he. I've heard his voice on several documentaries.

I just watched a sci fi called Advantageous (2015)

Have you seen that one? It's a very small indie film, I liked it, but very different.

I've seen Five Easy Pieces about 3 times and haven't been crazy about it yet. It's been a few years now, and I feel like it's something I should love so I plan on watching it again. It at least has one of my favorite scenes.

I've seen Five Easy Pieces about 3 times and haven't been crazy about it yet. It's been a few years now, and I feel like it's something I should love so I plan on watching it again. It at least has one of my favorite scenes.
I wasn't real hot on the movie either, I don't know if my review gave that impression? The film had it's moments of course, but I just didn't connect to it.

I think Five Easy Pieces greatest claim to fame is it's place in early 1970s cultural baby boomer phenomenon. I'm not a baby boomer, so maybe that's why I didn't connect to it.

The Blue Dahlia
(1946)

Director: George Marshall
Writer: Raymond Chandler (screenplay)
Cast: Alan Ladd, Veronica Lake, William Bendix, Howard DeSilva, Doris Dowling
Genre: Film noir

A Navy pilot (Alan Ladd) returns to the U.S. along with two Navy buddies: Hugh Beaumont and William Bendix. Bendix has a metal plate in his head, suffers from PTSD and is easily aggravated. Alan Ladd decides to surprise his wife at her apartment.

Much to his surprise he finds his wife having an affair with the sleazy owner of the
Blue Dahlia club (Howard De Silva). In a fit of anger Alan Ladd threatens his wife and storms out of the apartment, leaving his gun on a chair. Later she turns up dead and he becomes the prime suspect. On the run he meets the disenfranchised wife of the nightclub owner, Veronica Lake.

Left to right: The three Navy buddies, William Bendix, Hugh Beaumont and Alan Ladd

Alan Ladd pulls a .45 on his cheating wife Doris Dowling.

The Blue Dahlia marks the 3rd out of 4 films that Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake were paired together. Along with Bogie and Bacall, Ladd and Lake were one of the most
notable onscreen couples of the 40s. The two were paired because of their height. Ladd was only 5' 6" and to look taller in his films they paired him with the petite Veronica Lake who was all of 4' 11". Together they made four films:

This Gun for Hire (1942)
The Glass Key (1942)
The Blue Dahlia (1946)
Saigon (1948)

What makes The Blue Dahlia unique is the famed novelist Raymond Chandler wrote an original screenplay for the movie. It was his first original screenplay and originally the ending was quite different but a change was forced due to concerns of the U.S. Navy. Not surprisingly then, the end scene is the weakest. But we're talking only a few minutes out of the entire film. The dialogue is classic Raymond Chandler with flippant one liners that oozes 40s film noir-ness. By far the best parts are the first 20 minutes when Ladd confronts his drunken wife about the affair.

I found the movie to be a middle of the road film noir. As much as I've liked Ladd and Lake in This Gun for Hire, here I didn't feel their characters were that compelling. By far the most interesting was Ladd's trashy wife played to nasty perfection by Doris Dowling and the cool as a cucumber, but sleazy club owner Howard DeSilva.

Reportedly Raymond Chandler didn't like the director who he thought was uninspired, nor did he like Veronica Lake. But to this reviewer I'd say the scriptwriter is mostly at fault as the characters never get flushed out so aren't that interesting.

Attachments

Name:	The Blue Dahlia 1946 (1).jpg
Views:	287
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	32877   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Blue Dahlia 1946 (2).jpg
Views:	304
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	32878   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Blue Dahlia 1946 (4).jpg
Views:	368
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	32880  

Cross Creek
(1983)

Director: Martin Ritt
Writers: Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings(novel), Dalene Young(screenplay)
Cast: Mary Steenburgen, Rip Torn, Peter Coyote, Dana Hill
Genre: Biography, Drama, Romance
Despite the awesome Mary Steenburgen, never really had any desire to see this film...I may have to re-think that.

Despite the awesome Mary Steenburgen, never really had any desire to see this film...I may have to re-think that.
Can I ask why you aren't interested in it? I'm not trying to change your mind or anything, I'm just curious.

It's a really good story BTW, and a lot of movies are void of good stories. It held my attention and I liked Cross Creek so much that I watched The Yearling (1946) which I need to review!

Can I ask why you aren't interested in it? I'm not trying to change your mind or anything, I'm just curious.

It's a really good story BTW, and a lot of movies are void of good stories. It held my attention and I liked Cross Creek so much that I watched The Yearling (1946) which I need to review!
Nothing specific, it just didn't look like a very interesting movie to me. But I'm willing to add it to my watchlist if you liked it.

Decoy (1946)
Director: Jack Bernhard
Writers: Nedrick Young (screenplay), Stanley Rubin (story)
Cast: Jean Gillie, Edward Norris, Robert Armstrong, Sheldon Leonard
Genre: Film Noir
Length: 76 minutes

"A mortally wounded female gangster recounts how she and her gang revived an executed killer from the gas chamber, to try and find out where he buried a fortune in cash."

Tagline
'She Treats Men the Way They've Been Treating Women for Years!'

Woohoo! what a crazy woman Margot is! Played by British actress Jean Gillie, Margot is a one of a kind character, for any film noir. She's nearly psychopathic in how she takes joy in seducing men, only to use them, then kill them! It's pretty bold stuff for 1946.

Right after WWII, movies in America took a dark turn, most of the big studios made dark themed, crime melodramas which later would be called film noir.

Decoy
, is a 'poverty row' film, which describes any of the small movie studios that made B-budget pictures on the cheap. Decoy was one such movie made by Bernhard-Brandt Productions and disturbed by Monogram Pictures, those are names most aren't familiar with.

What makes these smaller noirs interesting is they could do more daring stuff than the big studios would usually attempt. And it doesn't get much more daring than a non repentant female lead who takes joy in double crossing and killing men, so that she can get her hands on the stolen loot.

If that ain't enough to peak your interest in this cult classic noir, then how about the scene where a doctor is forced to revive a convicted killer who was just gassed in the prison's gas chamber. Who knew methylene blue could perform such miracles? I love this scene as it's reminiscent of Frankenstein ala noir.

Jean Gillie, made one helluva a wicked femme fatale. Sadly she died at 33 and her career was cut short.

Attachments

Name:	Decoy 1946 (2).jpg
Views:	426
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	32909  

The Blue Dahlia
(1946)

Director: George Marshall
Writer: Raymond Chandler (screenplay)
Cast: Alan Ladd, Veronica Lake, William Bendix, Howard DeSilva, Doris Dowling
Genre: Film noir

A Navy pilot (Alan Ladd) returns to the U.S. along with two Navy buddies: Hugh Beaumont and William Bendix. Bendix has a metal plate in his head, suffers from PTSD and is easily aggravated. Alan Ladd decides to surprise his wife at her apartment.

Much to his surprise he finds his wife having an affair with the sleazy owner of the
Blue Dahlia club (Howard De Silva). In a fit of anger Alan Ladd threatens his wife and storms out of the apartment, leaving his gun on a chair. Later she turns up dead and he becomes the prime suspect. On the run he meets the disenfranchised wife of the nightclub owner, Veronica Lake.

Left to right: The three Navy buddies, William Bendix, Hugh Beaumont and Alan Ladd

Alan Ladd pulls a .45 on his cheating wife Doris Dowling.

The Blue Dahlia marks the 3rd out of 4 films that Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake were paired together. Along with Bogie and Bacall, Ladd and Lake were one of the most
notable onscreen couples of the 40s. The two were paired because of their height. Ladd was only 5' 6" and to look taller in his films they paired him with the petite Veronica Lake who was all of 4' 11". Together they made four films:

This Gun for Hire (1942)
The Glass Key (1942)
The Blue Dahlia (1946)
Saigon (1948)

What makes The Blue Dahlia unique is the famed novelist Raymond Chandler wrote an original screenplay for the movie. It was his first original screenplay and originally the ending was quite different but a change was forced due to concerns of the U.S. Navy. Not surprisingly then, the end scene is the weakest. But we're talking only a few minutes out of the entire film. The dialogue is classic Raymond Chandler with flippant one liners that oozes 40s film noir-ness. By far the best parts are the first 20 minutes when Ladd confronts his drunken wife about the affair.

I found the movie to be a middle of the road film noir. As much as I've liked Ladd and Lake in This Gun for Hire, here I didn't feel their characters were that compelling. By far the most interesting was Ladd's trashy wife played to nasty perfection by Doris Dowling and the cool as a cucumber, but sleazy club owner Howard DeSilva.

Reportedly Raymond Chandler didn't like the director who he thought was uninspired, nor did he like Veronica Lake. But to this reviewer I'd say the scriptwriter is mostly at fault as the characters never get flushed out so aren't that interesting.

Doris Dowling is killing me in that dress...it reminds of that silver lame jumpsuit that Hepburn wore in Christopher Strong

I don't know if it makes it but I at least have The Blue Dahlia on my contender's list for the 40's. I seem to really enjoy anything with Ladd.

Doris Dowling is killing me in that dress...it reminds of that silver lame jumpsuit that Hepburn wore in Christopher Strong
Doris Dowling, who's the femme fatale is wearing a gold lamé jumpsuit. She looks dangerous in it too!

I don't know if it makes it but I at least have The Blue Dahlia on my contender's list for the 40's. I seem to really enjoy anything with Ladd.
I have another Ladd movie to watch (if I can) before I send in my 40s Countdown list, and that would be The Glass Key, another film noir with Veronica Lake.

Was it the diner scene with the toast?