My Favorite Jane Fonda Performances

Tools    

Hannah Warren, California Suite

Fonda stood out among an all-star cast in this 1978 film version of a Neil Simon comedy. Fonda plays a workaholic New Yorker who flies to LA to confront her ex-husband (Alan Alda) when their daughter (the late Dana Plato) flies to LA alone to live with her father.

Ellen Gordon, Any Wednesday

Fonda won the role in the film version of a play that was originated by Sandy Dennis on Broadway. Fonda plays the mistress of hot shot executive (Jason Robards) who finds herself attracted to his new associate (Dean Jones).

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Wow I just found out she's 79. Amazing looking woman.

Hillary Altman, This is Where I Leave You

Fonda looked AMAZING and appeared to be having a ball as a recently widowed writer who quietly manipulates her 4 grown children (Jason Bateman, Tina Fey, Adam Driver, Corey Stoll) when they come home for their father's funeral.

Dr. Martha Livingston, Agnes of God

Fonda plays a chain-smoking psychiatrist who is sent to a convent to investigate the discovery of a murdered baby and the young novice (Meg Tilly) who may have been the mother.

Judy Bernly, 9 to 5

On the surface, Fonda appears miscast here, playing a ditzy recently divorced woman entering the workforce for the first time, but Fonda makes this role, which is the polar opposite of her screen persona, work.

Eileen Tyler, Sunday in New York

One of the stronger entries from her "sex kitten" period, Fonda plays a woman who shows up in Manhattan at her brother's apartment after breaking up with her boyfriend in Buffalo, who meets cute with the possible perfect guy (Rod Taylor).

Barbarella, Barbarella

Some might think this performance has no place here and others might think it's not rated high enough, but to do this list without including this performance would just be wrong.

Chelsea Thayer Wayne, On Golden Pond

Fonda received a supporting actress nomination for her performance as a recently engaged businesswoman who travels to her parents' summer home in an attempt to mend her relationship with her father (Oscar winner Henry Fonda). Father and daughter Fonda definitely bring some of their real life relationship to their performances and it comes shining through here.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
It's been a while since I saw Fun with Dick and Jane and California Suite, but I liked both movies.

I saw Any Wednesday when it was on TCM a few months ago. I wish I had saved it to a DVD-R because it was a good movie, and I'd like to watch it again.

9 to 5 is a good movie, but I thought Jane Fonda was the weakest of the three women in that movie.

I love Sunday in New York. It's easily my favorite of all of Jane Fonda's movies.

It's been several years since I saw On Golden Pond, but it's one of her best movies.

I haven't seen any of the other movies you listed.

Hallie, The Electric Horseman

Fonda reunited with her Barefoot in the Park co-star Robert Redford playing a reporter who chases after a celebrity cowboy who steals a rare and expensive horse.

Viola Fields, Monster-in-Law

Fonda returned to movies after a 16 year absence and pretty much blew everyone else off the screen in this comedy about a former television journalist fresh out of an institution after an onscreen meltdown who does everything in her power to keep her doctor/son (Michael Vartan) from marrying a fashion designer/dog walker (Jennifer Lopez).

Nora, A Doll's House

Fonda brings a viable contemporary sensibility to Henrik Ibsen's classic heroine.