Movie Tab II

Tools    

Somewhat philosophical, somewhat underachieving, and somewhat powerful, "12" is a film deserving of the phrase "worthy remake." The performances are decent, yet the cinematography and score are so compelling and flat-out original that you cannot help but be drawn in, like a little boy being offered, in this case, candy from Russia or Germany. Apart from that, "12" is still worth watching, with a noteworthy script and electrifying tension between the characters.

Schindler's List

I rarely cry in movies but, I did so in "Schindler's List." An incredible, absolutely masterful piece of cinema. Remains one of my favorite films, and the most poetic Stephen Spielberg has crafted.

I like Magnolia quite a bit. I still feel like PTA over-extended himself on that one, which is typically the case with ensemble pieces. The ending was pretty daring but it ultimately didn't do much for me. It's definitely a really good movie though.

And yeah, DonnieDarko, I'm glad someone else hated Irreversible as much as I did. It's a memorable film that doesn't pull any punches, but for me it wasn't anything more than some half-thought out ideas about time and consequence surrounded by a lot of theatrical, disturbing showmanship. Have you seen Enter the Void? It's worse; just stylized nonsense with some BS spiritualism.

Oh, and I forgot to mention: this is just about the most beautiful sequence I've ever seen in any film.

Smells mystical, doesn't it?

The Grey
5/10

I loathed the use of the wolves in this. From what I understand, they were used metaphorically as a representation of death; but with their over-the-top behaviour and look, they didn't suit the realistic atmosphere the movie was trying to portray.

Another major flaw was the characters, sadly, I felt no attachment to anyone outside of Ottway, still I felt little connection to him even. His ambiguity didn't help and I wish more time would have been spent with his story instead of showing men being mercilessly slaughtered by our furry antagonists.

I did love the use of "The City Surf" which I originally heard in Ink, the scenes it was used in were more compelling than any of the action sequences.

For those who haven't heard it. It's a great song.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Change-Up

A raunchy version of Freaky Friday with cgi boobs. Disgusting humour involving poop in mouths as well as two leads trying desperately to make the material funny.

Take Shelter

Strong performances make this character drama a nice watch. Shannon can be creepy and mournful at the same time. Subtlety is the key in this flick.

Suspect's Reviews

I did love the use of "The City Surf" which I originally heard in Ink, the scenes it was used in were more compelling than any of the action sequences.

Wow, I love this song. I may have to hunt down the movie now--Ink, that is...

Smells mystical, doesn't it?
Wow, I love this song. I may have to hunt down the movie now--Ink, that is...
It's awesome, isn't it?.. Ink itself suffers from a low-budget and horrible acting, with the exception of the main protagonist. Conceptually the film had a lot of potential, and a fantastic soundtrack.

La Dolce Vita (1960)

The stand out moment for me was when the two kids came down stairs after hearing the sounds of a storm, as hey come down the father explains that, the boy he sees beauty, he examines every pedal of a flower, while the daughter she's fascinated by combinations of words. I think this was what explained this movie, it was colorful despite being B&W and it had great dialogue. While at 2 hr 47 mins some episodes felt slow, but that was made up by the scenes of "The Madonna" and "The Orge". It was a mix of neo-realism and artistic filming. It showed how cruel and vulgar the lives of the upper class are, an how careless of human emotion the reporters were. They didn't give a damn how they get that photo, they'll capture that moment. Great film

Other moves I've watched
The lady Eve-

The Navigator-

Bicycle Thieves-

Following-

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog

Finally someone else mentions Ink, I have been trying to get people to watch this movie since almost my first post, not sure if I have succeeded in getting anyone to watch it though. The scene with the music at the end of Ink is such an amazing action sequence.

Airplane! (Jim Abrahams, David Zucker & Jerry Zucker, 1980)
Ageless comedy that more than holds up.

I Love You, Man (John Hamburg, 2009)
Whip-smart and well-rounded with some very charming performances. The Jason Segel man-crush is growing.

Shame (Steve McQueen, 2011)
Impeccably acted and challenging drama. Slow in parts and I couldn't help but feel it could have packed more punch.
-

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Been a while since I've been on the forum. Here's what I've watched:

New Releases:
Snow White and The Huntsman

Enjoyed the fresh new take on this classic tale, but the movie was slow to get to the good stuff.

Brave

Although it was missing the magical whimsy of other Pixar flicks, I appreciated the wide scope and technical achievements of this movie.

Rentals:
Warrior

A truly flawless film that surprised the heck out of me. Tom Hardy and Nick Nolte were the standout performances.

Wrath of The Titans

I didn't think the sequel would manage to be even more terrible than "Clash," but it was. Sam Worthington (aka Stoneface McGee) needs to get another day job.

Contraband

A dizzying wannabe-heist-flick that was poorly written and poorly directed. No style, no substance.

John Carter

It's sad to see a movie put so much effort into special effects and almost little to no effort into the story and characters. So many bad choices were made in this film.

Goon

I knew nothing about this movie going in, other than the hockey aspect. It was surprisingly heartfelt in addition to being damn funny.

Underworld: Awakening

Horrible writing aside, this movie wasn't as awful as some made it out to be. When it comes to werewolves, I appreciate that the Underworld flicks put still make use of puppets and costumes, rather than relying strictly on CGI.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Finally someone else mentions Ink, I have been trying to get people to watch this movie since almost my first post, not sure if I have succeeded in getting anyone to watch it though. The scene with the music at the end of Ink is such an amazing action sequence.
I actually watched watched Ink because of one of your posts. I really loved the concept. I had a couple of minor problems with the story, but overall I was pretty impressed.

Casablanca (Michael Curtiz, 1942)
You guys of all people must have heard it all before, nothing of importance I can add. Appreciated, enjoyed, glad to finally tick it off the list.

happythankyoumoreplease (Josh Radnor, 2010)
A bad cross between one of the worse Woody Allen movies and Garden State, three vignettes of one-dimensional, intensely annoying and cliched characters, linked in the most trivial ways and intercut with listless, forced musical montages. All based upon a flawed premise. Small, occasional flashes show that Josh Radnor might have some real skill as a writer and director, but this is definitely a miss.
-

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I actually watched watched Ink because of one of your posts. I really loved the concept. I had a couple of minor problems with the story, but overall I was pretty impressed.
Win. Someone read one of my posts......

Airplane! (Jim Abrahams, David Zucker & Jerry Zucker, 1980)
Ageless comedy that more than holds up.

I Love You, Man (John Hamburg, 2009)
Whip-smart and well-rounded with some very charming performances. The Jason Segel man-crush is growing.

Shame (Steve McQueen, 2011)
Impeccably acted and challenging drama. Slow in parts and I couldn't help but feel it could have packed more punch.
-

I agree with all of these. Love Airplane and liked I Love You, Man. Shame was underwhelming, especially considering it was from the same guy who did the devastatingly emotional film, Hunger.