Asian Movie Challenge

Tools    

@Zotis, I wouldn't say that CatSoup is a movie that anyone can watch. I think it is not a very accessible film. It's more recommended to the people who are into art house animation shorts.

I got the round 100 Asian movies! And if I included the time spent on anime series since may converted to 2 hour movies it would number around 220 movies.

90. Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail (2010) -

More entertaining than most stuff I have watched. Still didn't like the stereotypical way which they portrayed our neighbors from South America (it's not like movies from US and Europe do any better though). This streches a bit the definition of movie because it was released direct to video divided into 5 episodes but since it can be watched in a single sitting and depicts a single continuous narrative it counts!

91. Gamera Guardian of the Universe (1995) -

More fun than with this is impossible. While not exactly an artistic milestone, though, it is considered one of the best monster movies of all time and indeed, while I am mostly ignorant of the genre I noticed how well made this movie is. It's very cliche but executed with such a conviction that it works perfectly.

92. Kino no Tabi: Byouki no Kuni (2007) -

Very similar to an episode of the original TV series, this rather short film is mostly an intellectual exercise strongly and explicitly focused on a single set of themes. Lack's the emotional punch that the series had on me during the climax so I would rate it lower.

93, Kino no Tabi: Nanika wo Suru Tame ni (2005) -

Slightly weaker than the other one. Though this one is a prologue of the TV series, showing how Kino acquired the skills to be a self sufficient traveler/wanderer.

94. 3 Iron (2004)

Watched it because it is in Sane's top 10. It's a korean drama film. It reminded me of Goddard's and Wong Kar Wai's movies. Since I don't care much about these directors I also did not care much about this movie. Still it was impressive from an "technical" point of view but I did not connect strongly with the characters. Also the use of golf clubs as weapons of urban warfare to bypass walls was brilliant though probably not practical in real life.

95. Saikano OVA (2005)

OVA movie associated with the series (also include as movies in my rule system because it's a continuous linear narrative that can be watched in one sitting). The series is 5/5 but this associated movie is much weaker in it's emotional density but still good. Also one thing I liked about the series was the lack of exposition of the science fiction elements while here it is done in high detail leaving less room for my imagination and removing the feeling of mystery that I liked about the series.

96. Anohana ze movie (2013)

Overrated series and overrated movie (basically an epilogue of the series but re-exposing the narrative from the perspective of the memories of the main characters).

97. Girls und Panzer: Kore ga Hontou no Anzio-sen Desu! (2014)

Released a month ago I already included this new "masterpiece" in my top 100 animations. I already knew it would be included there because I knew exactly how it would play out given my knowledge of the style of the original series (which is identical here) and a bit of military history.

98. Lucky☆Star: Original na Visual to Animation (2008)

One of the cutest sitcom comedies. I think this may be on superior to the original TV series, basically concentrates only the gold.

99. Nadesico: Prince of Darkness (1998)
+ (re-watch)

Also included this one in my top 100 animations after a re-watch. My first watch was several years ago and so I decided to re-watch it before including into my list.

100. Highlander: The Search for Vengeance (2007)

A highlander movie that was written by one of the original (American) writers and it was decided to be made into an animated film as a result an Japanese animation studio and director were hired to make it. The visual style is similar to Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust but the writing was as mediocre as it get's.

At least you liked it! I personally do not rate it in the same league as about 25 other anime films. Though I find it the most visually aggressive and audacious and among the most visually impressive.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Are you going to running another challenge, Jiraffe?

Congrats, Guap! I'm automatically putting this in the top five movie watchers achievement posts, but if you didn't make the top five but still want added let me know.

Let the night air cool you off
Are you going to running another challenge, Jiraffe?
I don't know yet. I was thinking about running a horror challenge for October. 2 points for non-English and 1 point for English. I know that the anti-foreign brigade would have my head for putting more value on the non-English though.

I don't know yet. I was thinking about running a horror challenge for October. 2 points for non-English and 1 point for English. I know that the anti-foreign brigade would have my head for putting more value on the non-English though.
So. Stand your ground if that's the way you want to run it.

I don't see it as putting more value on one over the other, but I look at it like this; a challenge should make you step out of your comfort zone, test you or make you do things you normally wouldn't do. Those who watch foreign films already are going to do so anyway and need no extra incentive. Those who don't normally watch them might be encouraged to by getting that extra point.

I'd love a horror movie challenge but by my own definition it won't be much of a challenge for me.

I still want to do a Scandinavian challenge but I have too much on my plate right now. Maybe around Nov. Dec.

We need to get a little games and challenges committee together and schedule things. Have some order around here. I am guilty of starting a bunch of things because they sound cool, and then I run out of steam and lose interest. Maybe if we have some semblance of organization things will run a little smoother for me.

The Guild of Games is a good title.

Well seeing's as how most of the movies in the Asian challenge were Japanese, maybe something more narrow like a Middle East challenge, or another part of the world should be done? Well, at some point anyway. I think I'll try not to tie myself down to any challenges for a while though. But a Horror movie challenge still sounds cool, and I approve of giving an extra point for foreign films. It's an added element that spices it up. Too bad if someone people don't like reading.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
You need a contrarian's challenge. Watch only movies from genres/styles you "hate" assigned by someone who likes them. That way, most everyone is out of their comfort zone the whole challenge/tourney. That might actually change some peoples' attitudes. Ha!

That's probably a good idea. It would stop too many of the same type of things happening at once. I'm all for a lot going on all the time, but I never would think it would be a good idea for more than one challenge to happen at once and I think the bracket style movie tournaments should be one at a time as well.

That's probably a good idea. It would stop too many of the same type of things happening at once. I'm all for a lot going on all the time, but I never would think it would be a good idea for more than one challenge to happen at once and I think the bracket style movie tournaments should be one at a time as well.
We should probably do that. It would also be cool to have a thread where we discuss/plan/schedule games and such. The thread could also be used as a database for ongoing, upcoming, and past games/lists/challenges/tournaments/etc.

Dammit, I'm almost finished with Sansho the Bailiff and then I totally would have won!

I feel bad for Sane. He was owning this until Guapo came in.
I was pacing myself too. Just waiting for Guap to run out of steam and then I'd come back in the last month with as many movies as needed

To be honest I was kind of done - I would have watched more Asian movies but not many. I'm back working full-time, unfortunately, and I seem to prefer English movies when I'm a bit tired.

I really enjoyed this competition. But I do kind of want to take a break from focusing on Asian films and get to watching some by very prestigious directors like Bergman and Lang who I've only recently discovered. And I think for the sake of working on my next major top list I'm going to take a break from challenges and things of that nature.

I won't be keeping up with this anymore. It's safe to say Guapo "won" pretty handily.
Actually it is possible that Sane watched the same or even more hours than I did. Because dozens of the anime movies I watched were at or under 70 minutes long such as the 2 Kino no Tabi movies, the Lucky Star OVA, BAOH, Dragon Century, Black Magic M-66, etc. The longest movies I watched were 150-160 minutes long as well (Roberta's Blood Trail OVA was 170 minutes long). Most movies Sane watched I guess were around 100-140 minutes long.

I really enjoyed this competition. But I do kind of want to take a break from focusing on Asian films and get to watching some by very prestigious directors like Bergman and Lang who I've only recently discovered. And I think for the sake of working on my next major top list I'm going to take a break from challenges and things of that nature.
Watch Tarkovsky.