Drive Angry 3D

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Drive Angry 3D

Exactly what Death Proof should have been.

John Milton escapes hell to find his granddaughter who is captured by a cult and will be sacrificed on the full moon in order to bring hell to earth. He also drives angry.

Nicolas Cage gets a lot...and I mean A LOT of hate for his movies. People complain that the guy overacts in every scene, makes crappy movies and seems to only want a big paycheck. I'm a fan of Cage, always have been and you know what, I always will be. The guy can make a really crappy movie be fun, look at The Wicker Man for that. A movie so terrible, that Cage must have known this and thus we get the infamous "Not the bees" or "Why'd it get burned" lines that have since become internet favourites. His latest feature has him escaping hell, driving cool cars and shooting at everyone and everything in sight. He still has some lame hair though.

Drive Angry is a 3D grindhouse flick that doesn't try to take itself seriously for a second. Every scene is ridiculous and over the top, from Cage having sex while killing people (same thing happens in Shoot Em Up) to William Fichtner walking out of a moving truck and onto the hood of a cop car while the truck flips over and explodes. Walking I tell you, he doesn't even blink, he makes it look natural. It helps that he is not human. He's known as The Accountant and he works for Satan. His job is to bring Milton back to hell.

Amber Heard, beautiful young lady that she is, plays a foul mouth chick who likes to throw punches. She is pretty and fills the role of hot chick as expected. Basically she looks great and makes little boys feel funny in their pants. Finally Billy Burke shows up as the cult leader who wants to sacrifice the baby in the name of Satan. He plays the role in an overtly weird and sometimes sexual way.

Drive Angry is a lot of fun. You need to know what to expect going in. It's a grindhouse flick through and through. I loved Death Proof, but I even agree with the critics who say that it was too chatty. I think if this were the second flick in the double feature, people would have really had a fun time. Of course it would have had to have been a bit shorter, it's a little long as it is now. Few parts drag on a bit and I could easily cut some scenes here and there.

The 3D is fun, it's the in your face kind of fun. The film was shot in 3D, if that helps anyone. Some parts of the film that were in 3D were nicely done, others were obvious (let's see how many times we can point the gun at the screen and have it pop in 3D). I had fun with SAW 3D, blood and guys flying at me, this is somewhat the same, but better. You can tell that it's a bit different from films that are converted to 3D, it just has a cleaner feel to it and next to no 'ghosting'. The only complaints were that sometimes when things were in 3D, the shot was focusing on something else. So the 3D object would be out of focus, thus it loses some of the flare.

The film is loud and in your face. It's one of those movies that will find an audience on DVD. I can see it becoming a cult favourite in some time. It screams b movie left right and centre and Cage knows this. He actually plays the role very monotone, he isn't over the top at all. I can tell you right now if you're going to enjoy this film or not. In a particular scene Cage is offered a beer, he denies it saying "I'm not drinking a beer unless I'm drinking it from the skull of Jonah King". He fulfills this later on in the film, actually drinking beer from a characters skull. Cool? Hell yes!!! Are you not entertained? Skip this flick.

Suspect's Reviews

I really did not like this movie at all, it was just, I don't know, some of the things in this movie were just really unnecessary

The Drunk and Happy
Don't go watch with less than 4 beers.
Verdict: Worth a look to action fans for some unusual choices, but very average overall