Silent Film Discussion

Tools    

Birth of a Nation is really well done and totally cringe-worthy. I saw it in a film history series and, considering the level of racism in the movie (astonishing), I thought I'd need a long, hot soak in the shower after it was over. Any time you need a lesson in unflinching racism, "Klan boys to the rescue of soth'run womanhood", this is your movie. The idea that Griffith tried to claim some sort of guileless innocence about the content of the movie makes you wonder just how dumb he thought people were/are.
He did get criticism at the time as well, from what I remember---I think that was part of what prompted him to make Intolerance.

He did get criticism at the time as well, from what I remember---I think that was part of what prompted him to make Intolerance.
Yeah, I heard that part of the story, but it's hard to really buy his repentance. Ironically, I've seen Intolerance too (a long time ago) and it just didn't work as well as the racism did in BOAN. It seemed like the studio execs cussed him out and told him to fix this in the next movie.

Yeah, I heard that part of the story, but it's hard to really buy his repentance. Ironically, I've seen Intolerance too (a long time ago) and it just didn't work as well as the racism did in BOAN. It seemed like the studio execs cussed him out and told him to fix this in the next movie.
That's the thing, though, I think Intolerance really shows that he was totally unrepentant. I think after the reaction to The Birth of a Nation, he developed a strong hate for social justice-types---especially when they are women. It's been a while, but I think the general framing story in Intolerance was about how those sort of people tore apart a supposedly loving family, or something.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
His repentance is not whatever he said or whatever Intolerance says. His repentance is how good Intolerance is.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Another weird one that I'm not even sure can be seen in its entirety---the silent film included in the opening montage of Ingmar Bergman's Persona. I tried searching for more information about this just now, but have come up empty so far.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
the silent film included in the opening montage of Ingmar Bergman's Persona
AFAIK it's a film shot by Bergman just for the purpose of the opening montage.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920)
starring John Barrymore

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0011130..._dr%2520jekyll

Review on Letterbox

https://letterboxd.com/film/dr-jekyll-and-mr-hyde-1920/

There were two Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde silent films released in 1920 and all reviews point to this John Barrymore version being far better. A short 70 minutes, standard for those times.

Available for rent on Amazon for $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Jekyll-Hyd...s%2C199&sr=8-2

It's really a tragedy that the big sets were destroyed.
Yeah, I've "heard" (somewhere) that parts of sets and scenery were kicking around Hollywood back lots until the 1960's, used for lots of westerns.

His repentance is not whatever he said or whatever Intolerance says. His repentance is how good Intolerance is.
That doesn't make much of a case. My minimal experience with Intolerance was that, whatever the intended message was (I can't read Griffith's intentions), it had nothing like the effect of seeing black-face white actors flashing their eyes in BOAN.

Yeah, I've "heard" (somewhere) that parts of sets and scenery were kicking around Hollywood back lots until the 1960's, used for lots of westerns.
That's interesting. Any more specific info on what was recycled? I remember watching a documentary on the history of film, and apparently the set used for the massive Babylonian scenes is not a parking lot or something.

That's interesting. Any more specific info on what was recycled? I remember watching a documentary on the history of film, and apparently the set used for the massive Babylonian scenes is not a parking lot or something.
Not sure, but the gist of the story was that a lot of stuff from that massive production was put in warehouses and reused, as were some of the town center sets, which were mainly prop fronts. The story said that the street fronts were repainted, got new signs, etc and continued to be used into the era when TV westerns were so popular, part of how we got those stereotyped Wild West main streets that looked so much alike.

Unfortunately, I have no reference to cite.

Not sure, but the gist of the story was that a lot of stuff from that massive production was put in warehouses and reused, as were some of the town center sets, which were mainly prop fronts. The story said that the street fronts were repainted, got new signs, etc and continued to be used into the era when TV westerns were so popular, part of how we got those stereotyped Wild West main streets that looked so much alike.

Unfortunately, I have no reference to cite.
Oh, so that would probably be for more of the "modern" portion of the movie---for a second I thought that you meant some of the sets for the Babylonian scenes ended up in the Wild West! That makes much more sense. haha

'Metropolis' from 1927 rates as my all-time favorite silent film.

The Headless Horseman (1922)
starring Will Rogers IMDb

Click here to see The Headless Horseman

Extensive article on this film:
https://bloodguts.co.uk/diving-into-...n-1922-review/

I rate this movie against other movies of the silent era and settle on 7/10. One of the better films of the 1920s I really liked it and would definitely watch it again.