Joel and Ethan Coen's True Grit

Tools    

"This type of film" being "suspenseful films". They have a good track record with suspenseful films like NCFOM and Blood Simple.

I love most of their dark comedies too, but I was talking specifically about their suspenseful films.

I don't know how to make it any plainer.
We are talking about Ladykillers, how is that suspenseful.. please explain.
You said Ladykillers is a different type of film... & you mention Coens track record is good with suspenseful films?

But I am talking about their track record with dark comedies.. so how can you say that Ladykillers is a different type of film when they have a successful history with dark comedies.

I hope it's plain enough to understand this time.

We are talking about Ladykillers, how is that suspenseful.. please explain.
You said Ladykillers is a different type of film... & you mention Coens track record is good with suspenseful films?

But I am talking about their track record with dark comedies.. so how can you say that Ladykillers is a different type of film when they have a successful history with dark comedies.

I hope it's plain enough to understand this time.
I never said Ladykillers was suspenseful. As I mentioned earlier, I never saw it. However, I understand that it is a dark comedy, so I said that it was a "different type of film" because I lumped it in with the dark comedies.

I was never discussing the Coen brothers' track record with dark comedies, only with suspenseful films. You brought in Ladykillers, I did not.

BTW You had faith in them when they did Ladykillers as well?
Ladykillers was a different kind of movie, but to be honest, I never saw it.
Type of movie doesn't count here, we are talking about dated movies getting updated.
I was talking in particular about the Coen brothers and their track record with this type of film, which is pretty good, IMHO. Ladykillers is a different type of film.
The Ladykillers remake was a disaster.. & Coens made it happen inspite of their good track record with Dark Comedies.

So how is their track record with suspense help Coens in this remake?

The Ladykillers remake was a disaster.. & Coens made it happen inspite of their good track record with Dark Comedies.

So how is their track record with suspense help Coens in this remake?
This is just my opinion, but Blood Simple and NCFOM were fantastic and up there at the top of my list of best suspenseful films ever.

I love some of their dark comedies, but others are just meh. Fargo was a dark comedy, but it also had some suspenseful moments that were really, really well done.

IMHO, the Coen brothers shine when doing suspense. Again, this is just my opinion. And it has nothing to do with a movie being a remake or not. However, from the trailers, it looks as though they have made True Grit more suspenseful than the original, and I look forward to seeing what they have done with it.

Coens Bros. have shone no matter what they do.. There are many others who love his dark comedies more than Thrillers.

So if they are good at dark comedies, why did they suck so much??
& they seem to be so good at Thrillers, then isn't it too early to have faith in them?

I've said about all I'm going to say on the subject.

Anyway, I think this movie will be a success.
I have noticed that John Wayne doesn't sit too well with youngsters nowadays.

I have enjoyed most of John Wayne's films that I've seen, except for Green Berets.

But I don't think Coens can give this movie anything to make it better than the first one..

I am burdened with glorious purpose
As I said a few pages back, I just don't get this. TO me, the magic of the Coens was their originality and dark humor, and they are remaking a Wayne western?

WHY?

Genesis, you're probably right about youngsters today not liking Wayne or even knowing who he is. But being a pain in the butt old person who saw the original True Grit and cried when Wayne won the Oscar for it, I just cannot understand why the Coens even went for this.

I saw the trailer. It looked exactly like the original! The Coens are running out of ideas?

Since I don't understand this at all, the movie will probably be a huge success.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
This thread is becoming suspenseful... wait, scratch that, it's becoming a broken record.

Never saw the original, nor read the book, but it does look like it's worth a viewing. Honestly, the remakes, reboots, retellings are all becoming a standard practice in Hollywood. Why offer the audience something new and refreshing, when we can release a story, that's already been done. Nothing's changing, except for the actors portraying the characters.

Next, you're going to tell me that they're going to remake The Goonies.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I think they are making a sequel to Goonies... Which I won't complain about.
I like the way Disney is making a sequel to Tron & not a remake.

& I am so heavenly glad that the Robert Pattinson & Jennifer Aniston Graduate remake was just a rumour.

Semper Fooey
It apparently is going to be a lttle different. Never read the book, but hear Mattie loses arm in book and does in this version. And the other guy doesn't die like in the movie. The Coens are going to make a happier version of True Grit?

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I think they are making a sequel to Goonies... Which I won't complain about.
I like the way Disney is making a sequel to Tron & not a remake.
I've heard about the Goonies sequel, I'm still undetermined about that.

I'm talking a line-for-line remake of a movie. Where's the thinking? It's clearly a money issue with the studios. There's no creativity, at all. Seems like even the "original" stories, these days, borrow many elements from films audiences are already familiar with.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think we're close enough to the film's release that I'm just waiting to watch it. I'm not really interested in hearing anything more aboiut it until then, but don't let me stop you guys... as if I could.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
The Coens came out of a slump with NCFOM, if you axe me. Intolerable Cruelty was intolerable, and I say that without irony. And the Ladykillers, while I didn't see it either, was not well reviewed - that's part of why I didn't see it.

I have to smirk a little when people bemoan this "recent" trend in Hollywood of retelling stories. I recently picked up a gorgeous copy of a 1927 film called "Chicago", that was based on the play by the same name. It's a great little movie, has been redone several times over the decades, but the remake in the 90's is the best telling of that story, in my opinion. There are only seven basic story plots, and thousands of people in an industry based on telling those stories. There's going to be some repetition.

Semper Fooey
I started to watch the remake on television. It was unwatchable. Tom Hanks worst performance. I think Yoda will let me say that because he isn't dead yet. I am not a big fan of the original with Guinness reportedly trying to imitate Alastair Sim, but it seemed like Boris Karloff to me. But I was able to watch it all the way through.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
The question I have is if it does big business will they remake

this question sort of got lost in all the flirten between gp and the Z gal.

it was a fun lil movie, used to be on TV all the time.

ps please disney, i know you remade witch mountain, but leave the apple dumpling gang alone.

your pal,

dex

Semper Fooey
I mentioned it. Katherine Hepburn doing her repressed old virgin again she did better in the African Queen.I remember reading an interview when it was made with Hepburn goofing on the director she obviously didn't think much of. She said to him (I'm paraphrasing) "It is impossible to do what you describe, but we will do the best we can."

No Country For Old Men proved the directors can build suspense, and along with Jeff Bridges portraying a hard bastard and not imitating John Wayne, may take this western and do it more proper justice.

In the case of the little girl who hires Rooster she truly was supposed to be a babe in the woods, but westerns back then were way too pretty to do that story angle justice. With the genre being revitalized by movies like Unforgiven and Deadwood they are able to make True Grit how it should have been. Back then these boundaries werent even possible to cross.

The only thing being that could kill it would be changing the original storyline, and we all know the Coens are loyal to the original subject matter be it good or bad. I think this movie will be the best western since Unforgiven.

The Coens came out of a slump with NCFOM, if you axe me. Intolerable Cruelty was intolerable, and I say that without irony. And the Ladykillers, while I didn't see it either, was not well reviewed - that's part of why I didn't see it.

I have to smirk a little when people bemoan this "recent" trend in Hollywood of retelling stories. I recently picked up a gorgeous copy of a 1927 film called "Chicago", that was based on the play by the same name. It's a great little movie, has been redone several times over the decades, but the remake in the 90's is the best telling of that story, in my opinion. There are only seven basic story plots, and thousands of people in an industry based on telling those stories. There's going to be some repetition.
Imitation of Life was also done a couple of times (1934 and 1959).