Darren Aronofsky's The Wrestler

Tools    

You're a Genius all the time
Sounds pretty interesting...

"Randy 'Ram' Robinson (Mickey Rourke) is a retired professional wrestler from the 1980s who is forced to retire after a heart attack threatens to kill him the next time he wrestles. Robinson begins a job at a deli, moves in with an aging stripper (Marisa Tomei), and attempts to form a relationship with his estranged daughter (Evan Rachel Wood). However, Robinson is drawn to the prospect of a rematch with his old wrestling nemesis the Ayatollah, even though the fight may cost him his life"

Doesn't have a distributor or a release date or anything yet, but it should open sometime later this year. Probably in semi-limited release. I actually have pretty high hopes for the flick, even though I'm no big fan of Aronofsky or Rourke. It has gotten great early word of mouth and it just won the Golden Lion over at the Venice Film Festival. Anybody itchin' to see this thing?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I know Altman won for Shortcuts, but he tied some a foriegn film, isn't Aronofsky the first American to win it alone for 65 years?

I think Fox Searchlight has picked it up as well.

Suspect's Reviews

You're a Genius all the time
I know Altman won for Shortcuts, but he tied some a foriegn film, isn't Aronofsky the first American to win it alone for 65 years?
According to wikipedia, yes. And the only other American to co-win it was Cassavetes for Gloria in 1980. I'll still always think of Aronofsky as eurotrash, though.

Originally Posted by TUS
I think Fox Searchlight has picked it up as well.
Yup, and apparently they're planning a humongous Oscar campaign for Mickey Rourke, so it's a safe bet the flick will probably be released after Thanksgiving.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Brokeback Mountain is obviously an American film, even if Ang Lee is Taiwanese. A couple of others have American connections too, but I didn't realize anybody paid attention to the Venice Film Festival anymore; at least other than the filmmakers.

I heard about this last month. Sounds good, this I will be keeping an eye out for.

Here's a very good story I read in my EW this week.

This looks to be a very important film for Rourke, professionally and personally. I'm now really interested in seeing this.

A PHD in Whiskey and Stonerology
Looks good but i can tell this movie will have alot of cliches. I get the feeling that it is the Rocky verson of wrestling.
Wow... I didn't get that feeling at all. It's completely different in premise and tone. Cliches? Not really.

It doesn't look cliched, it looks fantastic. This has the potential to be so awesome, and judging by the trailer/critic reaction, it is.

I'll try my hardest to forget The Fountain before seeing this.

After Requien for a Dream, I'll see anything Aronofsky has to offer. But that stretch between Requiem and The Fountain (which was an okay movie) had me asking, is he trying to pull a Tarantino, or even Kubrick? Just as long as the stretches don't get as indefinite as Malick's huh, 20+ years between Days of Heaven and The Thin Red Line.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."