Obama's Cabinet

Tools    

You're a Genius all the time
Okay, so Obama's presidential cabinet is starting to come into focus. Other than two or three choices, I'm fairly indifferent to all the people he's nominated thus far. I'm glad he's bringing Gates back and I think sticking Hillary in there was a wise choice, too. Rahm Emanuel was a bit of a stretch, but I do kinda like the guy.

Anyway, so far we've got...

Chief of Staff: Rahm Emanuel
Secretary of the Treasury: Timothy Geithner
Secretary of State: Hillary Clinton
Secretary of Defense: Robert Gates
Secretary of Homeland Security: Janet Napolitano
National Security Advisor: General James L. Jones
U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations: Susan Rice
Attorney General: Eric Holder
Secretary of Commerce: Bill Richardson
Secretary of Health and Human Services: Tom Daschle

Some biggies that haven't been officially announced include the Secretaries of Energy, Education, the Interior, Agriculture, Transportation, Veterans Affairs, Housing and the Administrator of the EPA.

Do you MoFos have any comments on the choices he's made as of today? Disappointments? Hopefuls for any other positions still up for grabs? Is this of interest to anyone else or am I just talking to myself?

Like you, I don't feel too strongly one way or the other yet. There are some moderates in some of these economic posts, which gives me a tiny bit of hope that there might be some policy shifts, but I fear these will end up being more symbolic than anything else.

I'm fairly put off by the Clinton pick. Might be shrewd, if it neutralizes her as any sort of enemy or competitor and brings the party together, but then again he might be inviting all sorts of drama into his administration. And several news outlets have already pounced all over the fact that he derided her alleged foreign policy experience during the primaries, in fairly blunt terms.

Don't know enough about Emanuel to comment on his policies, but I know his methods have been pretty out there. I'm sure most of you have heard the same stories I have.

So, yeah, the Clinton thing's the biggest piece of news -- the rest won't have a lot of meaning either way until we see whether or not it indicates policy direction. If picking moderates (and even a few out-and-out conservatives) signals moderate policies, then that's great. But if it's done for the appearance of bipartisanship, and is a wholesale substitute for any genuine shift compromise, then it's not so great.

Bill Clinton's third term. Nothing surprising here.

You ready? You look ready.
The only thing I really care about is his DoE pick. Come on Arnold Schwarzenegger!!!
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza