Neiba's All-Time Top 100 (2015 Edition)

→ in
Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
some seriously great movies in this last batch:

Haven't seen All Quiet since I was a kid and finally saw Once upon a time last year.

High reps for Barry Lyndon; a very beautiful and intriguing work of art, music and soul

never hear of crazy pete and it sounds wonderful

and finally, Reservoir Dogs holds a special place for this reason: When it came out on in Rental Shops there was a deluge of movies saturated with catch phrases and this movie brought dialogue back to action based flicks.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I like American Beauty, although not as much as I used to. Reservoir Dogs is great. All Quiet on the Western Front is a very good adaptation of one of my favourite books, but I'll always compare the film to the book and find it lacking slightly. I've never quite seen what the fuss about Barry Lyndon was about and I didn't really get Pierrot le Fou.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible

2001: A Space Odissey

Stanley Kubrick
UK/USA

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

What can be said about this that wasn't already said million times? The most perfect and defining work of Science Fiction of all time.
The concept behind is, by itself, fascinating, but it's how Kubrick translates it on the screen that really is astonishing.
The sound is so perfectly done, being the glorious soundtrack or just diegetic sounds (respiration, absence of sound in space, etc.) and the dialogues are filled with depth and humanity.
The pace is slow but how else could we sit back and just enjoy the pure Beauty of each shot and the perfection of each detail, since the glorious opening scene until the mind blowing last on?
Finally, HAL-9000 is one of the most cold, evil and creepy villains of the history of cinema and each time he appears on the screen it gives me chills!
Stanley Kubrick lived a century ahead of his time, and the proof is that he made a Sci-Fi that still reduces every single Sci-Fi done before or after to almost nothing.

Haven't seen Barry Lyndon or All Quiet yet, but i'm obviously very happy with Once...West placement. The first time i watched 2001 i found it boring, the second time i liked it but not that much, i decided to watch it a third time before the 60s Countdown and it worked a lot more for me i ended up voting for it. Hopefully it keeps improving on every watch. Even when i didn't like it much i said i thought it was probably the best film i had seen though, great pick .

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Have you ever read the original novel of All Quiet On the Western Front? If not, I highly recommend it to you. It is easily in my top 15, or so, of favorite books. So, if that book is that high, it should be no surprise that the film is a favorite of mine, also.

Have you ever read the original novel of All Quiet On the Western Front? If not, I highly recommend it to you. It is easily in my top 15, or so, of favorite books. So, if that book is that high, it should be no surprise that the film is a favorite of mine, also.
I haven't read it yet but I certainly will! thanks!

I have to return some videotapes...
I think Reservoir is a tad bit high, but I do love it so nice.

A Clockwork Orange

Stanley Kubrick
UK/USA

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.

My first contact with Kubrick was perhaps one of the most intense cinematic experiences I ever had. I remember feeling really bad when I finished it, almost not being able to breathe - I had first experienced the Kubrick effect.
That day was also the one when I truly became a cinephile.
For me it's impossible to think of a movie with a better soundtrack choice, better use of colour and more fascinating characters.
The first scene is my absolute favourite of all time. The entire atmosphere of the movie is built in the first 2 seconds of the title sequence, we instanly know we're about to be amazed as soon as we hear the first note of Purcell's March for the Funeral of Queen Mary, brilliantly arranged by Wendy Carlos.
The rest of the movie is all about keeping this twisted and dark energy, even in the most comic scenes.
Malcom McDowell was born to play Alex, the script is genius aswell the editing and cinematography.
I'd compare a Kubrick's work to an opera by Wagner. If most operas have ups and downs, Wagner's are always at its peak, that's why it can be so freaking hard to watch, because it never lets go. A Clockwork Orange is similar. You watch a separate scene and it's perfect filmmaking, you watch the entire movie and it becomes an experience, a very painful one.

And that's simply not for everyone.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
this is a painful watch; which may be why its been a while since watching it for me. You are INSTANTLY drawn in with that opening scene and held on tight, much like Alex during the infamous eyes forced open scene to bare witness to all that befalls. It's a hard ride, but a truly glorious one. A great #3.