2012 Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar

Tools    

The Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar goes to...?
33.33%
5 votes
THE DESCENDANTS
20.00%
3 votes
HUGO
0%
0 votes
THE IDES OF MARCH
13.33%
2 votes
MONEYBALL
33.33%
5 votes
TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY
15 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Two novels, a non-fiction piece about the business of Baseball, a heavily illustrated children's book, and a play all adapted into Oscar's 2012 class of Screenplays based on material previously written. Which one will win, which one maybe should win, and is there anything obvious missing from the list?

• The Descendants
    Alexander Payne, Nat Faxon & Jim Rash
  • Hugo
    John Logan
  • The Ides of March
    George Clooney, Grant Heslov & Beau Willimon
  • Moneyball
    Steve Zaillian, Aaron Sorkin & Stan Chervin
  • Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
    Bridget O'Connor & Peter Straughan

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Descendants Water.jpg
Views:	911
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	7972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hugo Clock.jpg
Views:	901
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	7973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ides of March.jpg
Views:	906
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	7974   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moneyball.jpg
Views:	903
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	7975   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tinker Tailor.jpg
Views:	886
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	7976  

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Which one's the play?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'd like to see The Descendants win, but I have a strange feeling it's going to go to Moneyball.

Suspect's Reviews

The two screenplay awards can be tricky sometimes, but they often line up either with the Best Picture winner and/or with the presumed second place finisher for Picture.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, directed by Tomas Alfredson who burst onto the scene a few years ago helming the creepy instant classic Let the Right One In, is a very good, smart, lean, effective adaptation of le Carré's novel. The adapting was done by Bridget O'Connor and Peter Straughan, both of whom are relatively inexperienced (though Peter is also co-credited on this year's The Debt), and both are enjoying their very first Oscar nominations. Tinker Tailor might have done much better, awards-wise, but this screenplay nod, the score, and Oldman were its only Academy Award nominations. They won't win this year, but if they turn out work like this again they'll surely be back.

There's a whole lot going on, both plot and theme wise, in Martin Scorsese's Hugo. Perhaps too much for it to ever really catch on and become a beloved classic? But the film, and certainly the script, are very ambitious, and it is impressive how well it's all pulled together. The book was very heavily illustrated, so much of the basic visualization was already done for Scorsese and company, but condensing it all into a cinematic story to be told was no small task. John Logan was also nominated for his previous collaboration with Scorsese, The Aviator, as well as one of the trio of scribes credited with Ridley Scott's Gladiator. He also wrote the script for one of this year's Best Animated Feature nominees, Rango, and next up are both Spielberg's Lincoln and the return of James Bond in Skyfall. Logan is already one of the busiest screenwriters around, working on some of the biggest projects, but I don't suspect he'll add Oscar winner to his resume this time.

George Clooney's The Ides of March (he directed, starred in, and co-wrote the script) is adapted from Beau Willimon's play Farragut North, and follows an extremely capable Deputy Campaign Manager (played by Ryan Gosling) who gets embroiled in an ethical issue on the Presidential primary campaign trail, as well as learning secrets about his candidate (Clooney) that may change the race. It's a very well made film, extremely well acted, very smart in many respects, but I think what kept it from soaring either at the box office or here with a bag full of Oscar nominations is that its conclusion simply isn't anywhere nearly as compelling or interesting as the set-up. This is the second nomination here for both Clooney and his filmmaking partner, Grant Heslov, who previously scored a nod for Good Night, and Good Luck. Great that they got this spot, but I just plain don't think the finished film is strong enough for them to win.

Moneyball, adapted from Michael Lewis' non-fiction bestseller (Lewis also wrote The Blind Side, among others) took a while to get to the screen after it was optioned. A book that is best known as a behind-the-scenes look in the front offices of Major League Baseball and how one general manager in particular, the Oakland A's Billy Beane, bucked the traditional way of evaluating players and instead factored in lots of Sabermetrics, which are non-traditional stats that go beyond the standard batting average and ERA, in an effort for his small payroll to compete with the richest teams who were more than tripling his budget.... Just from this brief description, I'm sure you can already begin to see how challenging it was to adapt into a feature narrative film, and not a documentary. But the producers, including star Brad Pitt, stuck with it, and eventually a combination of Steven Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin, both previous Oscar nominees and winners (Zaillian for Schindler's List, Sorkin for The Social Network), managed to find the emotional throughline and themes that worked in combination with the statistical analysis and business of Baseball stuff. As impressive a feat as that was, I don't know that the Academy at large is going to have quite enough appreciation to give it the Oscar.

Alexander Payne has been nominated as a screenwriter three times now, losing with Election but winning for Sideways, both of which he co-scripted with Jim Taylor. For The Descendants his collaborators were Jim Rash and Nat Faxon, both getting their first credits on a theatrical feature (and fun fact, for fans of the TV series "Community", Rash plays Dean Pelton). Even with three credited scribes, I think The Descendats has to be the favorite. Its chances of winning Best Picture or Best Director are looking slimmer all the time, so this is a way to honor a movie that was well loved and very well reviewed, but underperformed a bit in the overall nominations. Plus, this is the one category where The Descendants isn't competing with The Artist. Win or lose, Alexander Payne has become a writer/director to be reckoned with.

Attachments

Name:	Moneyball PSH.jpg
Views:	1083
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	8204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clooney ides.jpg
Views:	921
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	8205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hugo father & son.jpg
Views:	894
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	8206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tinker Tailor glasses.png
Views:	1018
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	8207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Descendants beachcombers.jpg
Views:	998
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	8208  

As for the Writers Guild of America's awards and what kind of predictors they are for the Oscars, the WGA nominees for Adapted Screenplay are The Descendants, Moneyball, and Hugo, as well as The Help and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. They won't announce their winners until February 19th, just a week before the Oscar telecast. But if you want to wait for them to round out your own guesses, going back to the 1985 ceremonies, in the last twenty-seven years the WGA's choice for Adapted Screenplay and the Academy's have lined up eighteen times. That's 67%, which ain't bad, but isn't exactly a crystal ball, either. Six of the last seven have been the same, the only difference being two years ago when the WGA awarded Up in the Air while the Oscar went to Precious.

Attachments

Name:	Sorkin DGA.jpg
Views:	955
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	8210  

As for some of the adapted scripts that the Academy didn't favor with a nomination, Hossein Amini's turning James Sallis' novel into a blueprint for Nicolas Winding Refn to do his stylish thing to is one of the many nominations that Drive did not ultimately receive. It is pretty widely accepted that Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close doesn't have much business being nominated for Best Picture, but seeing as it was, I'm glad to see the screenwriting branch did not follow suit here. Not that Eric Roth isn't well regarded, because he has four previous nominations and won one for Forrest Gump. Not this time.

I thought The Rum Diary was a good and witty adaptation of Hunter S. Thompson and a fine return to form for Bruce Robinson, but his second ever nomination wasn't in the cards (previously nominated not for Withnail & I, but The Killing Fields). Everything Must Go came and went without much fanfare in the first half of 2011, but I thought writer/director Dan Rush had a very strong debut, adapting a Raymond Carver short story. Maybe next time for him? I didn't think the film world really needed another adaptation of Charlotte Brontė's Jane Eyre, but Moira Buffini's script, Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender's acting, and Cary Fukunaga's filmmaking proved me wrong, big time. Apparently enough of the Academy wasn't as impressed as I was.

But for me, probably the biggest omission is director Lynne Ramsay and co-writer Rory Kinnear's adaptation of We Need to Talk About Kevin. I would have made room for that one on my nominating ballot...you know, if I had one.

Attachments

Name:	Kevin cans.jpg
Views:	888
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	8375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rum Diary.jpg
Views:	992
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	8376  

Last night the WGA Award for Adapted Screenplay went to The Descendants. Two of its four Oscar competitors were also nominees, Moneyball and Hugo. The other two that made the WGA cut but not the Academy's ballot were The Help and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

]
Attachments

Name:	Descendants.jpg
Views:	1174
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	8529  

Not only did The Descendants win, as expected, but Jim Rash had far and away the best improvised moment of the evening when he mocked Angelina Jolie's ridiculous posture required to show off the one slit in her dress.

Attachments

Name:	Rash.jpg
Views:	828
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	8570