2012 Best Director Oscar

Tools    

The Academy's pick for Best Director will be...?
11.11%
2 votes
WOODY ALLEN, Midnight in Paris
38.89%
7 votes
MICHEL HAZANAVICIUS, The Artist
11.11%
2 votes
TERRENCE MALICK, The Tree of Life
22.22%
4 votes
ALEXANDER PAYNE, The Descendants
16.67%
3 votes
MARTIN SCORSESE, Hugo
18 votes. You may not vote on this poll

There may be nine Best Picture nominees this year, but still only five of their helmers are singled out for the Best Director honor. Who will win, who would you like to see win, who is missing?

Woody Allen, Midnight in Paris
Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist
Terrence Malick, The Tree of Life
Alexander Payne, The Descendants
Martin Scorsese, Hugo

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Allen.jpg
Views:	1269
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	7962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hazanavicius.jpg
Views:	1304
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	7963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Malick.jpg
Views:	1278
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	7964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Payne.jpg
Views:	1289
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	7965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scorsese.jpg
Views:	1275
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	7966  

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I haven't seen any of the films nominated yet, but I am going to see Hugo and The Descendants.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
This is usually the biggest inclination to what will win best picture. I believe only 3 or 4 times in the past 20 years has the film that didn't win for best director won best picture (Crash and Shakespeare in Love are the only immediates that come to mind)

No, it's been a little more frequent than three in the last twenty, but they have gotten back into the pattern of Best Director and Best Picture not being split, as the last five consecutive have all been the same Director as Picture. But going back to the 1990 ceremony, there have been five splits: Oliver Stone/Driving Miss Daisy, Steven Spielberg/Shakespeare in Love, Steven Soderbergh/Gladiator, Roman Polanski/Chicago, and Ang Lee/Crash. Going back further to 1968, there are three more: Mike Nichols/In the Heat of the Night, Bob Fosse/The Godfather, and Warren Beatty/Chariots of Fire. Before that, it had only happened a few other times in Oscar history.

Even better, wait and see who wins the DGA Award. Four of the five are the same nominees this year, the only difference being David Fincher at the DGAs in Terrence Malick's spot. Only six times since the Directors Guild started giving out their yearly award has their choice and the Academy's eventual choice differed. Six. And they've been doing them since 1948. The four most recent splits were 1986's Steven Spielberg The Color Purple DGA/Sydney Pollack Out of Africa Oscar, 1996's Ron Howard Apollo 13 DGA/Mel Gibson Braveheart Oscar, 2001's Ang Lee Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon DGA/Steven Soderbergh Traffic Oscar, and 2003's Rob Marshall Chicago DGA/Roman Polanski The Pianist Oscar.

I forgot all about Chicago and The Pianist's Roman Polanski. And Soderbergh (gosh I hate that film, Traffic).

Quite surprised to see that Ford Coppola actually didn't win best director for The Godfather, also.

Quite surprised to see that Ford Coppola actually didn't win best director for The Godfather, also.
I'm sure he was surprised, too. Though he did win two years later, for The Godfather Part II.

Maybe not the best place to ask this, but I was thinking about how much crap Scorcese used to get for not winning an oscar. Since he won for The Departed, who are now the biggest directors most known for not capturing an oscar?

Maybe not the best place to ask this, but I was thinking about how much crap [Scorsese] used to get for not winning an Oscar. Since he won for The Departed, who are now the biggest directors most known for not capturing an Oscar?
Well, of those who died never having won one for Best Director, Alfred Hitchcock, Charlie Chaplin, Stanley Kubrick, Orson Welles, and Robert Altman. And Howard Hawks and Sidney Lumet, too. And that's without even getting into the list of acclaimed directors who worked primarily in languages other than English (Fellini, Kuorsawa, Truffaut, etc.).

I suppose now that they are entering their third and fourth decades of work, some of the names who began in the 1980s and 1990s are probably on the mind of some younger film fans. The likes of Quentin Tarantino, Spike Lee, David Lynch, and even Tim Burton, maybe? Certainly both David Fincher and Christopher Nolan are starting to get that tag hung on them, though at least Fincher has been nominated a couple times. But they're both still relatively young and should have many more opportunities in the next couple decades or so.

That's interesting. I thought Hitchcock got it for Rebecca but that was his only film that won best picture, though he didn't get Best Director.

OK, so all five of these men have their movies in the running for Best Picture. Who will win, and will there be a split between this category and Picture?

Terrence Malick is certainly a filmmaker's filmmaker. He burst onto the scene in the 1970s with two marvelously poetic films, Badlands and Days of Heaven, and then like cinema's J.D. Salinger he disappeared; no interviews, no pictures, hardly any rumors. He reemerged twenty years later, with The Thin Red Line (which netted him his only other Best Director nomination), and followed that with The New World seven years later. There were just six years between The New World and The Tree of Life, and now he seems suddenly prolific with one project in post production and two more rumored to begin soon. The Tree of Life is apparently at least somewhat autobiographical, I think we can at least presume that some of the impressionistic memories presented of the young boy are akin to his own upbringing. But as the film's detractors will tell you, there's also close-ups of leaves and cutaways to sun spots and waterfalls and I swear I saw a dinosaur in there somewhere. What it all means I won't even speculate, I'll leave it to each viewer, but it's certainly bravura filmmaking, and his fellow directors honored him with this nomination. Can't imagine a scenario where his name is called (and the famously reclusive and media-shy Malick of course won't be there in the audience, win or lose).

Woody Allen is a bonafide cinematic institution. This marks his seventh nomination as Best Director: Annie Hall, Interiors, Broadway Danny Rose, Hannah & Her Sisters, Crimes & Misdemeanors, and Bullets Over Broadway, winning that first one. It is his twenty-third overall nomination - the others coming for his screenwriting (plus one as Best Actor, for Annie Hall). He's no recluse, as native New Yorkers or Parisians see him all the time, often playing his clarinet in some small jazz club, but as far as most media and certainly all awards shows, he is as reclusive as Mr. Malick. So Allen will not be sitting there in anticipation on Oscar night, either. It shouldn't matter too much, as there's probably little chance he'll win his second Best Director trophy this year, but it is remarkable how he keeps on keepin' on, reinvigorating himself creatively again and again, and the Academy certainly notes, respects, and delights in that.

Martin Scorsese is a bonafide institution in his own right. This is the seventh Best Director nomination for him, as well: Raging Bull, The Last Temptation of Christ, GoodFellas, Gangs of New York, The Aviator, and The Departed. You'll probably remember he won for that last one. Had he'd still been the best filmmaker around never to have won one, he might have a better chance with Hugo. Since that Oscar injustice has already been righted, I doubt he's going to get his second this time out. Hugo is certainly not the kind of material Scorsese is known for, though some of the themes running through it, namely the magic of cinema and the importance of film preservation, couldn't be more Scorsesian. But there's another 1930s-set film this year that deals with the magic of the movies, and it's called The Artist.

Alexander Payne isn't an institution yet, but he's on his way. His two nominations this year give him five, total, and he was previously nominated as Best Director for Sideways, for which he won Best Adapted Screenplay. With Election, About Schmidt, Sideways and now The Descendants he has that perfect mix for the Academy of indie sensibility and credibility, the ability to cast the perfect actor for each role, and all with storytelling that is extremely appealing and accessible. The Descendants is probably his most mainstream movie yet, in a lot of ways, and in a year where the frontrunner is anything but mainstream, he may just be able to woo enough votes away to salvage at least a split here with Best Director and Best Picture, if not a full out upset.

No, I don't really know how to pronounce Michel Hazanavicius' name, either. But I think we better start learning, because he's probably gonna be an Oscar winner real soon. Has a Frenchman ever won an Oscar for Best Director, you're wondering? No, not really. Roman Polanski won for The Pianist, but while he is a French citizen he was of course born in Poland. There have been other French directors nominated over the decades: Jean Renoir, Claude Lelouch, François Truffaut, Louis Malle, and Edouard Molinaro (as well as another naturalized Frenchman in the Iranian-born Barbet Schroeder). But none of them ever won. Before The Artist, Michel was best known for the wonderful comedy OSS-117: Cairo, Nest of Spies, which was a massive hit in France and much of the world, save for America. That film also starred Jean Dujardin and Bérénice Bejo, and it had amazingly realized detail of the aesthetic of spy movies of the early 1960s. In The Artist, Hazanavicius took that same eye for detail and authenticity and applied it to Silent movies and a Hollywood long gone, if it ever even existed outside of myth and other films. There are moments in The Artist just as delightfully funny as OSS-117, but there's also deeper emotion and pathos and characters who, while archetypes, also seem quite human (even that cute dog). As convoluted and gimmicky and artificial as it may seem to those who haven't seen it, miraculously it's all handled just right, and I think this unique feat is going to earn Mr. Hazanavicius a Best Director trophy.

Attachments

Name:	Tree of Life desert.jpg
Views:	2958
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	8118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Woodman Paris.jpg
Views:	1455
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	8119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hugo Kingsley.jpg
Views:	1298
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	8120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clooney beach.jpg
Views:	1381
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	8121   Click image for larger version

Name:	Artist projector.jpg
Views:	1261
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	8122  

As far as snubs...can't complain too much, as I thought all five of the Academy's choices this year were terrific. But I'm sure David Fincher's legion of fans are wondering how he missed the cut for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Two-time winner and brand name Steven Spielberg had two movies released this year, War Horse (Best Picture nominee) and The Adventures of Tintin (which was completely ignored by the Academy) but didn't get to be one of the five here. Just to toot the horn again for Take Shelter, Jeff Nichols did a superb job. Those who adore The Help may wonder how its director, Tate Taylor, didn't make it (though I'm not one of them). Roman Polanski, Oscar winner and nominee, didn't get any love for Carnage. Bennett Miller got a nomination here for Capote, but while his Moneyball got a Picture nod you didn't really hear his name much during this awards season.

I don't know if Stephen Daldry has compromising blackmail material on key Academy members or if he has a mole at Price Waterhouse fixing the numbers, but somehow all four of the films he's made thus far, Billy Elliot, The Hours, The Reader and Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, have all received either Best Picture or Best Director nominations or both. Didn't get both this year. The Academy has shown a lot of love for Clint Eastwood over the years, but the two-time winner in this category didn't make it this time for J. Edgar. Would have been a bit of a surprise but not a total shock to hear Nicolas Winding Refn's name called for Drive, but it wasn't to be. Maybe next time?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Michel Hazanavicius should be the shoo in now, winning the DGA.

Suspect's Reviews

Indeed. I gave those historical stats above, and the Directors Guild of America Award is by far the most reliable predictor of any of the other awards. So you can bet against Hazanavicius winning the Oscar if'n you want, but statistically it's suicide. It has happened before, it'll happen again, but I don't think this is going to be one of those rare years.

Congrats, Michel!
Attachments

Name:	Michel DGA.jpg
Views:	1211
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	8152   Click image for larger version

Name:	ARTIST DGA.JPG
Views:	1245
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	8153  

I hope if The Descendants can't win both (because in all likelihood it probably won't happen) it can at least split. Or as long as Clooney takes best actor. It needs to win something significant, IMO.

I hope if The Descendants can't win both (because in all likelihood it probably won't happen) it can at least split. Or as long as Clooney takes best actor. It needs to win something significant, IMO.
The Descendants is the favorite for Adapted Screenplay, one of the biggest awards of the night, and Clooney should have the edge for Best Actor. So don't cry.

As usual, the DGA Award was an accurate predictor, and there was no split between Picture and Director. That's now six years in a row without a split. I think that hiccup there where it happened four times in eight years was an anomaly, and it will go back to being extremely rare, as in once every ten years or so rare.

Attachments

Name:	Michel.jpg
Views:	1162
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	8573