2012 Best Supporting Actress Oscar

Tools    

The Academy's choice of Best Supporting Actress will be...?
18.75%
3 votes
BÉRÉNICE BEJO, The Artist
6.25%
1 votes
JESSICA CHASTAIN, The Help
12.50%
2 votes
MELISSA McCARTHY, Bridesmaids
12.50%
2 votes
JANET McTEER, Albert Nobbs
50.00%
8 votes
OCTAVIA SPENCER, The Help
16 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The nominees for Best Supporting Actress. Who will win, who should win, who's missing?

Bérénice Bejo, The Artist
Jessica Chastain, The Help
Melissa McCarthy, Bridesmaids
Janet McTeer, Albert Nobbs
Octavia Spencer, The Help

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bejo.jpg
Views:	1795
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	7952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chastain.jpg
Views:	2072
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	7953   Click image for larger version

Name:	McCarthy.jpg
Views:	1926
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	7954   Click image for larger version

Name:	McTeer.jpg
Views:	1874
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	7955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spencer.jpg
Views:	1862
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	7956  

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I don't think Melissa McCarthy is Oscar-worthy. I watched Bridesmaids today, and it was an amusing comedy, but not deserving of a best supporting actress nomination, and certainly not a screenplay nomination. But I doubt that it'll win anything, though.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
McCarthy does deserve the nomination, she was the best part about the film and that's saying a lot because the film had a lot of great things about it.

While I'd like to see her win, I think it's going to be Octavia.

My second choice would be McTeer.

Suspect's Reviews

I think the acting branch of The Academy did a pretty good job with this category, all five were very good performances. But let's start with Melissa McCarthy. Bridesmaids was a big hit, and Melissa was the funniest element of it, stealing every scene she's in. I love that she was nominated, I think the Academy should highlight the funniest work of the year just as much as they highlight the most dramatic. But does she have a chance at winning? She does. She's definitely not the favorite, but I would not be at all surprised to hear her name called early on Oscar night. It's not unprecedented for comedies to win in the two supporting acting categories. Dianne Wiest and Mira Sorvino won for Bullets Over Broadway and Mighty Aphrodite, though to be fair those are Woody Allen's brand of comedy. Mercedes Reuhl in Gilliam's The Fisher King, and of course there's Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny, and on the male side Kevin Kline in A Fish Called Wanda. So it's not that they've never handed out hardware for silliness.

But beyond all that, Melissa McCarthy is just very well liked by her peers and the industry. She extremely personable, humble, and naturally funny, and maybe best of all, she gave one of the best acceptance speeches of the past couple years when she won the Emmy as Best Actress in a Comedy for "Mike & Molly". Does being good at accepting awards really count toward Oscar voting? Probably more than we'd like to admit. The audience does have to sit there for four hours, they may like to see a little unscheduled and off-the-cuff entertainment now and again, you know?

Glenn Close is brilliant as Albert Nobbs, but really just as strong is Janet McTeer, and because Albert is a very frightened and repressed character, McTeer's Hubert Page, who is so much happier and secure in his life, really steals the scenes she's in, and you completely understand how amazed Nobbs is with him/her. This is Janet's second nomination, having been in the Best Actress class of 1999 for Tumbleweeds when Hilary Swank won her first Oscar in Boys Don't Cry. Swank played a girl disguising herself as a boy in that one, which is what both McTeer and Close do in Nobbs. Will that device bring more Oscars? I think Close has a much more realistic chance than McTeer, but I'm very happy she got the nomination, as hers was definitely one of the best performances I saw last year.

Bérénice Bejo as rising star Peppy Miller in The Artist is wonderful. She doesn't get to show quite as much range of extremes as Dujardin, but she's very good. She's also the lead actress, let's be clear, but there are no rules in regards to screen time or billing or importance to the plot when it comes to making the distinction between lead vs. supporting performance at the Oscars. The powers that be (likely Harvey Weinstein) probably figured the until-now virtually unknown in America (although she was in the anachronistic Heath Ledger musical comedy A Knight's Tale) Bérénice had a better chance at making it into the top five in this category rather than Best Actress. And they're probably correct. Will she win? Unlikely. Jean Dujardin has a true shot at Best Actor, but Bejo is a longshot here. The Artist is likely going to get some of the biggest awards of the night, but she won't be swept up with them.

Jessica Chastain had a frickin' remarkable year. To call it breakout would be an understatement, and it has all culminated with an Oscar nomination. She's nominated for The Help, but Chastain also played the mother in Malick's The Tree of Life, another Best Picture nominee. But wait, there's more. She's also excellent as the wife of Michael Shannon in Take Shelter (for me her best performance of the year), and she was also the younger version of Helen Mirren's character in the Nazi-hunting thriller The Debt, and she plays Ralph Fiennes' wife in his modernized Shakespeare piece Coriolanus, and she was a detective tracking a serial killer in the indie Texas Killing Fields. Yeah, that was all 2011 for Ms. Chastain. The Help was certainly the one that was seen by the most people, but she may be hampered by the fact that one of her co-stars is also a fellow nominee...

If Viola Davis is the soul and dignity at the heart of The Help, Octavia Spencer gets mush of the credit for its humor and attitude. And obviously nobody is ever gonna forget her baking skills, nor will they ever likely eat a slice of pie in her presence. The conventional wisdom is that two actors from the same film in the same category will cancel each other out. This kind of doubling up happens more often than you may realize. Just in this Supporting Actress category alone, just going back to 2000, this is the eighth time two women from the same project are on the ballot. That's a lot. In two of those previous seven, one of the duo wound up winning anyway, Catherine Zeta-Jones over her Chicago co-star Queen Latifa and just last year when Melissa Leo K.O.d Amy Adams, her counterpart in The Fighter. But with the other five pairs, somebody else from another film won: Kate Hudson & Frances McDormand in Almost Famous (Marcia Gay Harden in Pollock), Helen Mirren & Maggie Smith in Gosford Park (Jennifer Connelly in A Beautiful Mind), Adriana Barraza & Rinko Kikuchi in Babel (Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls), Vera Farmiga & Anna Kendrick in Up in the Air (Mo'Nique in Precious), and Viola Davis & Amy Adams in Doubt (Penélope Cruz in Vicki Christina Barcelona).

So will Octavia Spencer be triumphant here? She has an excellent chance. The Help only has four nominations, Best Picture, Best Actress, and these two Supporting Actresses. It is not going to win Best Picture, and Viola Davis is up against some beloved veterans in the other category, so if The Help is going to get anything, its most realistic odds are here. As AMAZING a year as Chastain had, I would think Octavia has the edge between them. But I think McTeer actually gave the best performance, Bérénice is beyond charming, and frankly I'd love to see McCarthy up there. Pick 'em.

Attachments

Name:	Bridesmaid McCarthy.jpg
Views:	2477
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	8154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Janet Nobbs.jpg
Views:	1876
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	8155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bejo Artist.jpg
Views:	1871
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	8156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chastain plate.jpg
Views:	2084
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	8157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Octavia pie.jpg
Views:	2016
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	8158  

As for some snubs, probably the most glaring was for young Shailene Woodley, who was terrific as the older daughter in The Descendants. Like Albert Books, her nomination was thought to be be a no-doubter, it was a given. Whoops. Carey Mulligan, nominated a few years ago as Best Actress for An Education, had a very good year with terrific performances in both Shame and Drive, but no resultant Oscar love. The Help has two of the five spots but could have easily had a couple more for former winner Sissy Spacek or Hollywood legacy Bryce Dallas Howard. If J. Edgar had any traction at all, Dame Judi Dench might have heard her name once again. Mia Wasikowska is one of the best young actresses around, as she continued to prove in Albert Nobbs (playing an actual female!). Evan Rachel Wood was good again in The Ides of March. Kind of surprisingly no acting nominations for a Woody Allen movie, and former Best Actress winners Marion Cotillard and Kathy Bates could have been added here.

My favorite supporting performance of the year, even though it had quite literally less than no chance of making the Oscar cut, was Ellen Page as Boltie in the dark and weird and violent and fantastic Super! Page of course is a former nominee for Juno, so I was hoping against hope that maybe, just maybe she'd sneak in there. But that was pure fantasy on my part.

Attachments

Name:	Woodley Descending.jpg
Views:	1997
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	8159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boltie!.jpg
Views:	4227
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	8161  

Yeah, that would have been fun. She was just so wild. Maybe too over the top for the Academy? Fun flick and a good part for her I thought.

Page as Libby/Boltie was funny and demented and sweet and dangerous and sexy as Hell. For anyone who skipped Super thinking they didn't want to see Kick-Ass starring Dwight Schrute, you really missed out on a terrific flick. And for me, it is miles better than Kick-Ass.

Octavia Spencer won the SAG Award tonight, over the exact same four women she's facing for the Oscar. Her gown was wonderful, her speech was good, and she seemed genuinely surprised and excited and humbled, so if you want to treat this is a dress rehearsal for Oscar night, it went really well.

The Screen Actors Guild has been handing out these awards only since 1994, so it's not the richest history. Of the previous seventeen winners, only ten have gone on to win the Oscar. 59% ain't great. Now there is a bit of an asterisk with that total, because a few years ago Kate Winslet won the SAG Supporting Actress for The Reader but was nominated for (and won) Best Actress at the Oscars, and conversely Jennifer Connelly was nominated as Best Actress for A Beautiful Mind at the SAGs, but won as Best Supporting Actress at the Oscars. So they did sort of pick that winner with Winslet, but not in the correct category, and the SAG Supporting Actress choice of Helen Mirren in Gosford Park lost to Jennifer Connelly come Oscar night, with whom she did not compete at the SAGs. Got it? Also, at the 1998 ceremony they sort of covered their bets with a tie, giving both Kim Basinger for L.A. Confidential and Gloria Stuart for Titanic this award. Kim won the Oscar weeks later, but it's kinda sorta not fair to pick two.

Just in the past decade's worth of SAGs, throwing out both the Winslet and Connelly in the wrong category anomalies, they otherwise correctly matched up in seven of the other eight, the one difference being Ruby Dee for American Gangster while Tilda Swinton won the Oscar, for Michael Clayton. So while historically the numbers aren't all that impressive, of late they've been much more consistent. This will, now, make Octavia Spencer the frontrunner, even more so if she wasn't already.

Attachments

Name:	Octavia SAG.jpg
Views:	2047
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	8197  

Since most of you probably don't know who Bérénice Bejo is and haven't yet seen The Artist, here's a couple minutes of her in her Oscar-nominated performance...

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
After watching The Help, this is easily Spencer's. I don't know if it is just me, but the Supporting Actresses seemed stronger than the leading actresses this year, performance wise. At least from what I've seen.