Star Wars: Episode VIII – The Last Jedi

Tools    

This might just do nobody any good.
Sounds spicy.

I’ll get on Certified Copy someday.

It almost looks like critics were being paid to review it or it looks like the divergence you expect to see in an art movie that normal people dislike and critics like (such as a Kiarostami movie).
It's much more likely than that particular score is being manipulated than that there's widespread bribery going on, particularly since someone is claiming to have done it, and because other audience metrics that are more scientific and can't be rigged are producing different results.

Precisely. Because in the original movies they never talk or act as if starships need "fuel". Hence, they are being heretical now by changing the technology of the franchise that was established in many movies before.
I don't think whether or not the word "fuel" is used should be the barometer: the question is whether the concept of fuel fits into the universe. And given that we see drives break down, and Luke whines about power converters, and all the ships are dirty and shown to roughly equivalent to intergalactic used cards (consistent with the Used Future aesthetic), I'd say it fits pretty well.

It's also something that makes more sense intuitively. The idea of limitless power is far more bizarre and speculative than the idea that, even with vastly superior technology, ships are still gonna run on something.

But how it never happened before?
Saying something is bad because it hasn't happened before is essentially identical to saying the series should never be allowed to introduce new concepts.

If someone feels that way, that's fine, but they should be clear on the logical implications of their complaint: they're demanding a completely static mythos.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
LMAO. Well played, old man.

WARNING: spoilers below
Everyone is crying themselves to sleep over Luke when the real loss of Captain Phasma. Seriously, Hux should’a died in the opening and Brianne should’a gotten promoted to lead henchwoman.

The Last Jedi does as much good as it does bad. Completely 50/50. Yet, the 50% hurts more because when you ruin the character of Luke Skywalker you peel away at a cultural icon. That's why so many people are pissed at this movie.

My main problems with the film (bullet points):

WARNING: "Last Jedi" spoilers below
- Uninteresting new characters (Rose, Laura Dern's character).

- Snoke getting killed (already) while we can't even put him into any kind of context (yet).

- A totally uninteresting subplot with Finn and Rose that ultimately makes the situation worse for the Rebels than if they hadn't done that totally uninteresting subplot. In other words, a huge part of the film is unnecessary filler (which will be especially boring during rewatches). They could've used this time to delve deeper into the stuff that's actually intriguing, i.e. Snoke's history, deepening the relationship between Kylo and Rey, understanding Luke's perspective a little better, etc.

- The supergirl Leia scene made no sense whatsoever.

- The humor is completely out of place. I rolled my eyes several times. Luke is using all of his energy and is almost dying but he has still time to do a shoulder wipe? This film sometimes had a totally misguided need to be unserious.

As I said before, I think the film was OK as a cinematic experience. It's a pretty entertaining ride.
I don't understand AT ALL how people can see this as one of the best films of the series, though. It has so many glaring flaws that keep it from being even close to great.

WARNING: spoilers below
Everyone is crying themselves to sleep over Luke when the real loss of Captain Phasma. Seriously, Hux should’a died in the opening and Brianne should’a gotten promoted to lead henchwoman.
If that means what I think it means I actually dont care. Sort of expected it anyway. Accidentally clicked on it thinking it was a about the article urkillinme posted. It was worth it. That blog post is hilarious.

I think I'd rather sit through another viewing of Avatar than watch The Last Jeti again.

It's no secret that I am not a fan of the new trilogy of Star Wars, as the characters are undeveloped and come out unscathed of every challenge they face suffering no consequences in the process. Someone quoted on my last forum saying that the prequels got **** for being too different and The force awakens got **** for being to the same. But say what you will about the prequels but at least they were original and did not corrupt the perfect ending of return of the Jedi

Besides I'm okay with the prequels I thought the Phantom Menace was okay at best, The clone wars was a disappointment and revenge of the Sith was epic. But it makes me sad how many people took issue with them to the extent that they did, saying horrible things like George Lucas ruined their childhood. So it's no surprise eventually George Lucas packed up his bags and gave Disney the rights to Star Wars. Which Disney only care about getting as much products and money out of Star Wars as they possibly can.

One cast member of the last Jedi who can't hide his disappointment is none other than Mark Hamill Who has stated it's not about quality anymore it's about making money. Unfortunately there is a sad truth to that statement when it comes to the big corporations like Disney. And often in interviews Mark Hamill expresses the disappointment he felt about the last Jedi, and what Ryan Johnson did to his character Luke Skywalker saying "who is this guy"

there is also a video on YouTube of Mark Hamill being interviewed with Ryan Johnson. And as Ryan Johnson is speaking about the movie Mark Hamill looks over at him looking horrified and stunned of how is anyone really into this garbage, Which is a question I and a lot of fans of Star Wars have been asking ourselves.

But so many critics speak highly of the last Jedi which makes me feel what planet am I on.

So here are the top reasons why I hated the last Jedi

So it's no surprise eventually George Lucas packed up his bags and gave Disney the rights to Star Wars.
Wait, what...George gave them the rights? When did that happen; I missed the memo. He got so butt hurt at what some viewers said he gave it away? Well blow me over.

You should go to an island. Meditate over your loss.

Dani8, welcome to 2012.

1 - in-continuity

just like the force awakens the last Jedi is full of incontinuity at its worst. Ray goes to be trained by Luke Skywalker but is already perfect at the force. Getting into a scrap with Luke Skywalker at one point and even getting the better of him. Which doesn't make sense considering Luke has trained with the forces whole life and ray only heard about the forced a couple weeks ago.

But probably the most laughably terrible scene in the movie, is the scene where Princess layers ship blows up. Now you think she would get demolished or at least chopped into many pieces from the blast. But then we see her miraculously in one piece floating through space. Now if she survived all that surely the cold temperature of space would turn her into a popsicle. But no she opens her eyes and dose a Mary Poppins through space as if nothing happened. At this point in the film I was thinking is Disney trolling Star Wars fans "what the hell is going on here.

And unfortunately I think the scene was just a disrespectful tactic to pull on your heartstrings since Carrie Fisher has passed away. Needless to say I lost all respect for the movie at this point. And to be honest not even Master Yoda would've survived that crash I know Layer is a supposed to have the force just like her brother Luke. But far as we know she's had no training so pulling a stunt like that is beyond unconvincing and stupid

Dani8, welcome to 2012.
Saunch, do you think I can give my demented pug away for 4.05 billion doll hairs?