movie title search - all i know is the plot of this UK film

Tools    

ah, my virgin voyage into any type chat online...i'm hoping there's a movie head out there who can help me find a british film i saw sometime last year on video. i know only the plot and here it is: a guy is unfaithful to his girlfriend and in his boredom decides to tell her. they break up, she meets anew guy at her health club, and in the following months the now ex-boyfriend so regrets his loss he gets bombed one night in his despair and stumbles into two garbage men in a surreal garbage dump setting. in short, he gets his wish to go back in time and undo his confession of infidelity. he wakes up the next morning and all is as it was before. he is delighted but soon struggles to keep his girlfriend from meeting this guy named "george" who seems to be crossing their paths regularly. it's the basic "you can't fight fate" idea. that's all i know. i would be delighted if anyone has any ideas. i can't really do a search since i know so little. here's hoping....

i know exactly the movie you're talking about. i rented it not too long ago, but for the life of me i can't think of the title. this is gonna make me nuts. when i figure it out, probably at 4 a.m., i'll let you know - if someone hasn't already answered the question

spaceomelette - you have made my night...eventhough you can't recall the movie title, i am thrilled to see your message and await your 4 a.m. recollection. thanks for responding....patti

well, i hate to get your hopes up. there have been several 4 a.m.s since i last posted and i still haven't figured it out. but i'm not quite ready to give up yet.

spaceomlette - today the front passenger tire flew off of my pick-up as i was flying down the highway at 65 m.p.h- my little girl and i are unharmed but the survivor euphoria has been quite the rush. you'd think this whole brush with ? would wipe away my empassioned search for the title of some movie i once saw and liked. nope. now i'm even happier to be alive and healthy, and now i know what it's like to have a tire fly off your vehicle at high speeds. i still await your recall with great enthusiasm....thanks for your help. where are you on this fine planet? -patti

Twice Upon a Yesterday

saw it a few months ago...lighthearted romantic comedy, doesn't really stick with you. Though it would be handy to be able to go back in time to "fix" a regret.

swissgirl

swiss girl; thankyou, thankyou! i'm stunned that hearing the title doesn't ring a bell. my memory must be worse off than i thought. i appreciate your reply.

Welcome, Patti. I caught this flick on cable one lazy afternoon and quite enjoyed it. The male lead is also the star of the britcom 'British Men Behaving Badly', one of my favorites. I liked the message of the film--that even if you did get to move backwards, things might just turn out the same.

R
You get me slapped with a fine, you argue with the customers and I have to patch everything up, you get us thrown out of a funeral by violating the corpse, and then to top it off, you ruin my relationship. I mean, what's your encore? Do you, like, anally rape my mother while pouring sugar in my gas tank?

bodhigrrrl; thanks for the welcome. i just picked up the "twice upon a yesterday" movie on my way back from a great fall run....plan on seeing it tonight. i didn't remember that Penelope Cruz was the bartender chick....now i recall thinking she was so beautiful and that was just before her name became more known here in the U.S. i will check out "British Men Behaving Badly" next. thanks for the suggestion and your reply. i was such a movie head before i had my little girl (turns 3 on Halloween)...now i am way behind and my brain doesn't work as well. i anticipate a catch-up and hope for the return of fully functioning grey matter. -patti

Patti: British Men Behaving Badly is a british sitcom. You can find it on the BBC Channel at various times throughout the week. It's worth a look.

Penelope Cruz has been battered around a bit on these forums. I think she's sweet. I loved her in Almodovar's "All About My Mother". I really think she should be seen acting in her native tongue to be appreciated.

Happy Birthday, Patti's daughter!! What a fun day to turn 3!

Movie heads unite!!!!

R

bodhigrrrl - i guess i did recognize the BBC program by title but have never watched it...my TV is always on A&E, , DSC or TMC (unless AmC comes through with something). i love mysteries and classics(mid 30's through 40's).
have you ever seen a movie with Kathleen Turner called "Julia and Julia"? (1988). it is panned in the movie review guides but it had an impact on me....parallel worlds of a woman who loses her husband on their way to their honeymoon....her depressed world splits one day and she returns from work to find the life she would have had with her husband (and a couple of kids she's never seen, calling her mommy) she hungrily accepts the new reality and fights getting sucked back into the dreary half-dead life she'd been living. Sting is in it, as is Gabrielle Byrne. it has poor sound and lighting quality of low budget italian films, but i would be interested in hearing what other people think of it.

I have seen 'Julia and Julia', a couple of times. It's pretty good. The one I really like her in is 'Crimes of Passion', another double life scenario.

I'm pretty new to these forums, too. The moderators are sticklers for spoilers. If you're going to give away the plot of the movie, do this before the revealing portion of the body:

Spoiler

Then type in your text several lines under, so that eyes can easily be averted to your plot revelation.

Have you seen 'Sliding Doors' with Gwyneth Paltrow. It, too, has a 'double life' thing going on. It's a great film.

R

bodhigrrrl - thanks for the spoiler warning/info....i didn't even consider that. i was going to mention "sliding doors" but forgot to add it in my last post.