Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
First Man -

the right-ish stuff

What are the chances you would...ah, who the hell am I kidding.

The one common thread I've heard is "action" shots are amazing. Stuff along the lines of "how did Chazelle get a camera there?" and the likes. Then apparently the contrast of the landing is epic.

Ima probably break down and suffer the rip-off of Imax. At least it goes to 11.

Welcome to the human race...
Do a review? Not likely at this stage.

The Right Stuff comparison is too easy, but another one would be to the spaceship sequences in Interstellar that emphasise practical effects and how best to capture (the obvious point of comparison being how both films shoot using cameras mounted on specific areas of the ships, keeping the ship static within shot while the background moves). There may be a problem where they lean on this a little too much so that, by the time it gets around to them actually reaching the moon, I felt a little worn out over yet another extremely precise depiction of flying and landing a spacecraft (but yeah, not sure how much of talking about this film constitutes "spoilers").

I also saw it in a regular theatre (albeit a fairly big one), not an IMAX one. I still found it a worthwhile experience (it could well be a
but I'm still on the fence about that).

You didn't take the complimentary lsd tab did you?

Still didn't make a difference.
Are you sure? My acid trip was pretty good. I couldn't tell if the movie wad well-made, or if it was just the acid... But I gave the experience four stars at least. Might have been four and a half stars if there weren't so many people in the theater laughing at stuff that wasn't funny. But meh, can't have expectations in a room jam packed with people on drugs.

Unregistered User

The Rite (1969)

Strange film. Felt like I should've hated it but I ended up liking it and its certainly a film that I wont forget in a hurry, especially the ending!! Not top-tier Bergman by any stretch but I would still recommend it to fans of his.

+

Unregistered User
Are you sure? My acid trip was pretty good. I couldn't tell if the movie wad well-made, or if it was just the acid... But I gave the experience four stars at least. Might have been four and a half stars if there weren't so many people in the theater laughing at stuff that wasn't funny. But meh, can't have expectations in a room jam packed with people on drugs.

Yeah that would have annoyed me, people laughing. I liked it enough to see it again, so maybe next time I'll be in a different state of mind, see if that helps.

Yeah that would have annoyed me, people laughing. I liked it enough to see it again, so maybe next time I'll be in a different state of mind, see if that helps.
I might have given it a higher rating than it deserved simply because Cage actually impressed me in a few scenes, and the content appealed to me. So maybe there wasn't anything wrong with your acid tab after all. :P

Terrific movie. So much fun. Will probably watch it again. Cannot believe Tom did all the flying scenes - he’s nuts!

I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey in 70mm at the Prince Charles cinema in Leicester Square, London.

What an experience. Thoroughly loved experiencing such an iconic film presented in a way it was presented back in 1968 in an old fashioned cinema. I felt like I was transported back in time. As far as the film goes, technologically ahead of its time. Personally, I found it a little indulgent in places and some of the scenes were simply beyond comprehension. However, I think that was Kubrick's intention.

I can't stop thinking about it, so I can't imagine how people in the sixties felt after leaving the cinema.

Sidebar: It was funny watching it for the first time and seeing bits and pieces from other movies that were inspired or influenced by it. Whatever you think of the movie you can't deny the fact it inspired so many great directors. 8/10.
LR, your intuition about "2001" is very accurate. It's good that you got to see this wonderful film in a large cinema-- the way MOST films should be seen..

We saw it in Denver when it came out in 1968, and it blew our minds. Believe me, this film had a huge impact when it came out. Most everyone loved it, and were impressed by it. Some of the special effects seem sophomoric today, but they were very effective then. I think most of the story elements hold up to today, despite being copied many times.

Cheers,
~Doc

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

I also saw it in a regular theatre (albeit a fairly big one), not an IMAX one. I still found it a worthwhile experience (it could well be a
but I'm still on the fence about that).

I was a bit worried about that run time, but I plan on seeing it early enough to avoid fatigue. Well, that and my ears bleeding from the sound.

Second viewing -

Snooze factor rating = Zzz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

LR, your intuition about "2001" is very accurate. It's good that you got to see this wonderful film in a large cinema-- the way MOST films should be seen..

We saw it in Denver when it came out in 1968, and it blew our minds. Believe me, this film had a huge impact when it came out. Most everyone loved it, and were impressed by it. Some of the special effects seem sophomoric today, but they were very effective then. I think most of the story elements hold up to today, despite being copied many times.

Cheers,
~Doc
What always strikes me about it is that when Star Trek: The Motion Picture was made — ten years later – 2001 was its visual reference point. And Star Wars was similar – shots of huge spaceships coming into view from overhead still crop up today .

Late Phases: Night of the Lone Wolf

Not as clever as some of the more time tested werewolf films like An American Werewolf in London or The Howling, but still a damn good movie, and by good I don't mean that the story is incredible, or that the writing is airtight, because it's frustratingly not.

This movie suffers from some choppy pacing and even choppier story elements that don't seem either fully realized or integrated into the final cut, leaving some questions unanswered. This may be a case of me not picking up on clues, or entire dialog exchanges, but nevertheless, Late Phases is a grueling little picture with fantastic performances by Tom Noonan, Ethan Embry (that little bastid from Dutch, now fully grown with horseshoe pattern hair in full swing, looking all rugged), Lance Guest (unrecognizable from his The Last Starfighter heyday), and not in the least, a very interesting casting decision with Nick Damici (co-writer of Cold in July - a favorite of mine).

Damici plays a NYC Hell's Kitchen inflected war veteran moving into a retirement community. He is blind. On his first night he hears a brutal slaying of a next door neighbor. Police suggest a wild animal is the culprit, but the blind war hero thinks different and prepares himself ala' Travis Bickle for some confrontation and investigation with the local community.

Tom Noonan (Manhunter) plays the local priest with his usual matter-of-factly air of laid back and eccentric delivery, an all too natural performance that helps this movie out where some of the sillier elements creep in.

I want to say that this is one of my favorite pictures of the werewolf genre only because it does things with the story that are not typical. The hero is blind, he's got a strong New York accent, he's a wise-ass, the movie itself is a human story and builds on family dynamics as much as any modern drama would, and the suspense is pumped up. Clever filmmaking in need of a more clever script is my issue along with the unfortunate non-inclusion of scenes possibly attributable to editing or lack of.

Eighth Grade (2018)

I probably wouldn't have seen this movie, if not for all the critical praise it has received. Though having an infant daughter myself, I was curious to see what kind of knowledge could be gained from this movie.

It was noticeably low budget, but the storytelling and emotional weight of this movie is incredible. It doesn't follow many traditional plot points, and it feels very real throughout. I'm glad I watched it, but I'm just not sure if I consider it an undoubtedly great movie.