Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Cabin in the Woods gets a little bit worse for me every time I watch it, but it's still a pretty great parody. First time I saw it, though, I basically had your reaction and I loved it.
I wouldn't say I loved it, it is a movie I would gladly rewatch though. The fact that it is a parody is exactly why I liked it because I'm not really into horror anymore, as a matter of fact I now hate most horrors that I used to love when I was like 14, teen horrors in particular. Cabin in the Woods looked like it was going to be that kind of horror and full of cliches, but I got a pleasant surprise, like most people I would presume.

The elevator scene was truly awesome, I really loved that scene.

Not Enough Time
PaperMan - 8.3/10

I thought this was a great movie. And, I'm especially glad that the relationship of the two main characters did not get creepy. It still qualified as weird, but creepy no, and it fit perfectly actually. I can't really give it a higher rating because I don't think it was really anything special in terms of being a piece of art, but I'm going back and forth between 8 and 8.5 for it being a well done film, a great story, and extra points for being unique.

The Hours - 10/10

There is nothing I can find wrong with this movie, and everything is spectacular. This was a re-watch for me, so I knew the premise, but forgot the ending. I would like to know what men think of the movie, because I think it connects much more with women, but maybe I'm wrong. The idea that planning a party is a big deal, or being "the wife" in the 50's has unspoken responsibility or expectations, I feel like men may not really understand the impact of these circumstances. But like I said, everything was spectacular.

"If dreams are like movies then memories are films about ghosts"

The Hours - 10/10

I would like to know what men think of the movie, because I think it connects much more with women, but maybe I'm wrong.
Also loved it, as you know.

Finally took the Miyazaki plunge

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Just saw that one too and it was gorgeous! I'm reviewing it tomorrow.

Just saw that one too and it was gorgeous! I'm reviewing it tomorrow.

I defiantly now see why Guapo is such a fan. The animation was simply stunning! And the post apocalyptic sci-fi elements and some of the themes that seemed to reflect the Cold War were fantastic!

I defiantly now see why Guapo is such a fan. The animation was simply stunning! And the post apocalyptic sci-fi elements and some of the themes that seemed to reflect the Cold War were fantastic!
It's the seventh I've seen from Miyazaki and I think it may be my second favorite of his (I'm a huge fan of Spirited Away, so that one remains first).
I personally found it more charming than Princess Mononoke (which was also great). Porco Rosso and My Neighbor Totoro are also pretty close to that second spot, but Nausicäa has more substance.
I also enjoyed Kiki's Delivery Device and Ponyo, but I wouldn't rank those at the top.

Miyazaki is a fantastic filmmaker.

The Hangover II 7/10 I might have liked it less, but the drug-dealing monkey totally won me over.

The Apparition 6/10 I was expecting it to be horrible because of a LOT of reviews I've read, but then that's never stopped me from seeing something I wanted to see. I found it to be fairly compelling and tense all the way through, right up until the disappointing ending which I should have seen coming.

Django Unchained, 10/10

There was a lot of the soundtrack that I didn't like and I thought the scene with Jonah Hill was forced and out of place. But that's just nitpicking.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011) I really enjoyed this one. I liked the first one, but I liked this one more. The entire cast is fun, but Jared Harris almost steals the show as Moriarty, Holmes greatest foe. 8/10

The Presence (2010) I had never even heard of this film until today when it came on cable. Mira Sorvino is a woman who isolates herself in her old family cabin to write, while a silent ghost watches her every move. While it can be a bit daunting to see this ghost just stand and stare for a good portion of the movie, it does evolve story-wise and pays off in the end. It's not a "jump-scare" type of movie, but there are some creepy moments throughout. Mira's boyfriend shows up, and so does someone who is played by Tony Curran (an actor I really admire), whose agenda becomes clearer and clearer. The identity of the of the ghost is revealed eventually, and the ending is one I rarely see in more cynical movies these days. Slow-moving, to be sure, but worth it for the buildup to the end. 8/10

Unregistered User
Dredd - 8.5/10 i absolutely loved this film. I didnt really have high hopes going into this one but that all changed very quickly. Urban was brilliant as Dredd too. Im already looking forward to watching this again.

Run Lola Run - 7/10 decent film shot on a low budget with good performances from yer woman from Bourne and yer man from Das Experiment. Thats about it really....

1989 is when John Le Carre's novel The Russia House was published. 1990 is when the film adaptation came out. Glasnost. Perestroika. A sea change both in the Soviet bloc and East-West relations. And this is the context of both the novel and the movie.

Le Carre worked for British intelligence before the success of his early novels enabled him to become a full-time author. For me, his earlier novels set during the heart of the Cold War (e.g. The Spy Who Came in From the Cold, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Smiley's People) were his best. In those books, masterfully and without sentimentality, he unveiled a taut world of lies, deception and moral compromise.

With The Russia House we enter a new world, the beginning of sole American military and political hegemony. It was a brief window of time in which some hoped that resources which had long gone into the arms race would be diverted for more humanitarian purposes. A Russian physicist, Dante (Klaus Maria Brandauer), has information which, if made publicly available, would help turn these hopes into reality. Dante tries to pass this information to a middle-aged, hard-drinking, jazz-playing British publisher, Barley (Sean Connery), but it is intercepted by British intelligence.

MI6 convince Barley to liaison further with Dante, and by extension Dante's friend, Katya (Michelle Pfeiffer). This is another strong point of Le Carre's: portraying how random civilians get unwittingly drawn into the world of secrets and espionage (see also The Little Drummer Girl, The Tailor of Panama and The Constant Gardener). Connery does a fantastic job at playing the obstreperous, irreverent Barley, who is more inclined to follow his heart than national dictates. Pfeiffer's acting as the morally committed Katya is equally solid, with a fine, believable Russian accent that would make Meryl Streep proud. There are also fine supporting performances by Roy Scheider and James Fox as American and British spooks.

The movie contains good dialogue by Tom Stoppard and great location filming in Moscow and Leningrad. By creating a nexus of conflicting interests, including that of the U.S. military industrial complex, we are left wondering, till just before the end, how the chips will ultimately fall. Nevertheless, the film manages to finish on a flattish note - pat, almost sappy.

In my opinion, the end of the Cold War is around the time that John Le Carre's writing and storytelling began to suffer, and the film adaptation of The Russia House, particularly its final fifteen minutes, reflects this demise. Increasingly, Le Carre began to try to inject personal, ideological and moral messages into his novels. It doesn't matter if you agree with his assumptions and conclusions (I happen to agree with many of them). It takes a writer with a high degree of subtlety and finesse to weave those kinds of messages into a novel without hitting the reader (and the viewer, if the book is faithfully adapted into a film) over the head and having the story as a whole suffer. And while Le Carre is a very good writer, he apparently does not possess the capability to comfortably pull off such a feat.

Because I enjoyed the first 90 percent of the film I'll give The Russia House 7/10.

Absolute masterwork. Fassbender is outstanding in this. Carey Mulligan was also excellent, and she is adorable. A very powerful film.

Watched Being John Malkovich as well. Above-average really, I only really enjoyed half of the movie.

Iron Man 3 - 4/10

Iron Fitness: http://ironfitnessonline.com/

Lost in Thailand

Chinese comedy. I think that comedies are the hardest movies to "get" when it's in another language and from another culture. My partner is Chinese and she laughed a lot in the first half. To me it was a bit childish but overall was somewhat kind-hearted and had some entertaining scenes at the end.

5/10

Grave of the Fireflies

I joined this site to find out about movies like this. I already knew of it but would never have watched it before signing up here. Just a stunning movie. Don't think I've ever developed such an emotional attachment to characters in a movie. Will be thinking about it for days ...

10/10