Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I loved Rambo. I'm not enthusiastic about Last Blood though but hopefully I'll be surprised.

3rd Re-watch...Above all, this movie is a testament to the directing genius of Ron Howard. Apollo 13 is surely his masterpiece, but this film is definitely #2...this is cinematic storytelling at its best. Anchored by a near brilliant screenplay, Howard crafts a taut nail-biter that rivets the viewer to the screen with almost unbearable tension...I love the edgy elements of the story that raise it above the average kidnapping story...I love that Tom Mullen is partly responsible for his child's kidnapping...I love that the kidnappers are not the cohesive unit that they should be...I love the way Tom makes a move at the halfway point of the film that turns the entire story on its ear...Howard creates some terrific cinematic pictures here as well...I love Tom watching his son's science project flying away or when he runs across the street and almost gets hit by the van carrying his son. I love at the moment when little Sean is grabbed he is behind a stone column and we don't actually see him being grabbed...Howard did everything right here...this is also one of the few movies where an extra ending totally works and has the viewer pulling their hair out...the performances are superb down the line...Mel Gibson has never been better and Gary Sinise brings the ugly to Jimmy Shaker that the story requires. I don't know why this film has been nearly forgotten, but suspense fans who have never seen it should treat themselves.

Great review Gideon, a real stonker of a film.

Stage Fright (1950)
Solid Hitchcock. Just a shame Alastair Sim wasn't used more.
A little Alistair Sim is always a nice thing though and certainly better than none at all. I'm a bit more of a fan of that one than you.

Looking forward to Wildlife.

Risen (Kevin Reynolds, 2016)
+
Tale gets a bit fishy in the later stages

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

The 16th Episode (Jerome Cohen-Olivar, 2019): Three YouTubers attempt to gain more viewers for their adventure channel, only to find one of them possessed by a demon and the other two must find a way to help their friend. While there are tense moments, the duo of Einar Kuusk and Cody Heuer find themselves giving each other beats of comic relief as an outlet for both the fear and anger they endure along the way and it works quite well. It brings something fresh to the demonic possession genre.

I don't know if this would be your cup of tea, @Citizen Rules, but it turned out to be quite an unexpected pleasure for me:

Can You Ever Forgive Me? (2018)
It sounds interesting, cool, I'll watch that one, thanks Lenslady

Stage Fright (1950)

Solid Hitchcock. Just a shame Alastair Sim wasn't used more.

I agree with you about the great Alastair Sim.

If you haven't seen it, you MUST watch The Green Man (1956), starring Sim, George Cole and Terry-Thomas!

Gladiator (2000)

Skipped all the scenes with whimpering and deranged Commodus, resulting in a virtually perfect movie. I've seen much of the rest of the world, it is brutal, and cruel, and dark, Rome is the light. Yet you have never been there, you have not seen what it has become.

Rating:
+ 9.5 / 10

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gladiator1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	55311  

Welcome to the human race...
WARNING: spoilers below
This movie have many questions, but we have enough evidences to support the rich guy killed her: the girls watch in Ben's bathroom, the cat responding by being called by name. The scene where Lee Jong-su burns a small piece of the green house is to give the viewers the idea of how fast the plastic would have burned. We now know that Ben was lying saying, it would need gas and ten minutes to burn a entire green house, what would need gas and ten minutes would be Shin Hae-mi body.
My theory on the above...

I thought that at first, but a lot of people have suggested that Ben actually sells pretty girls into trafficking and that's why he was so wealthy and didn't seem to have a job. When his friends come over, he may be showing off his latest girl to sell to them.

However, he probably puts it in a more exciting way to the women themselves, telling them he is going to help them build a new life. They don't realize until it's too late and they are taken away for prostitution or organ trafficking. That's why Shin Hae-mi calls Lee Jong-su at the last minute, when she is being subdued by the kidnappers. Then Ben must have turned off her phone, tidied up her apartment and taken in her cat.

As for the items left in his apartment... it's normal to forget things and leave them behind when you're in relationships. So either Ben has a habit of quietly snatching these items when the girls aren't looking, or he just collects them after he sells the girls, because they would leave some things behind at his place.
What really got me was when I saw the theory being floated that

WARNING: "Burning" spoilers below
Ben is not actually a serial killer/human trafficker but helped Hae-mi disappear and leave her unsatisfactory life behind (dead-end job, debts piling up, the previously loving Jong-su flat-out calling her a whore after the topless dancing scene) - considering that she had already become unrecognisable via plastic surgery once, it can be inferred that Ben is a plastic surgeon, which not only explains his wealth but also his ability to help them disappear by making them look unrecognisable. Jong-su chooses not to confront this possibility by instead constructing the narrative where he is the avenging hero and Ben is the unambiguous villain, therefore justifying his investigation and eventual vengeance to the point where he doesn't even try to accuse Ben of this crime before straight-up killing him. This much is reflected in the sub-plot about Jong-su trying to help his father avoid jail time for a violent crime - not only is it about getting the neighbours to sign a petition about the dad's upstanding nature that they don't personally agree with, but it also implies the possibility that Jong-su has the same capacity for needless violence that his father has already demonstrated (to say nothing of how his parents had already split up and he'd grown up with said father). Considering how many other instances there are of the truth being rendered questionable (e.g. Hae-mi supposedly falling down a well that never seems to have existed), the idea of the film reaching an unquestionable conclusion regarding Ben's guilt seems too easy. I don't think it's necessarily wrong to reach that conclusion, but I do think the rest of the film's ambiguity should at least factor into its ending as well.

Last movie watched...

Billy Liar -

The King of Comedy's genteel British father.

Weird is relative.
@Iroquois - that's a good one.
If Ben isn't a "villain" then that makes the most sense considering how popular plastic surgery is in Korea.

What about the girls though, why would he have a relationship with them? Is he still just trying to gain their trust so that they will give him their money?

Weird is relative.

Shazam (2019)

Everything about this film was weird. It felt like a movie from the 1980s but set in 2019.

Part of it is that I really don't like the "kids magically becoming adults" storyline. I think it's creepy. Why couldn't he just be a superpowered teenager like Spider-Man?

Besides that, the "supervillain" was boring, there was no interesting conflict or character growth with anyone... and the monsters would be too scary for young kids, so this wasn't a "family" movie. Who is it supposed to appeal to, 12-15-year-olds only?

Idk. I just kind of find it hard to believe that a film like this becomes a major blockbuster in 2019.

Snooze factor = Zzz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Welcome to the human race...
@Iroquois - that's a good one.
If Ben isn't a "villain" then that makes the most sense considering how popular plastic surgery is in Korea.

What about the girls though, why would he have a relationship with them? Is he still just trying to gain their trust so that they will give him their money?
WARNING: "Burning" spoilers below
That's assuming he even does it for money in the first place. Maybe he's just observing their situations to confirm how much they need his help.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion -

bruh