New in town.

Tools    

Give me all of your candy!
I am no cinephile. I watch summer blockbusters and indie films on Netflix. I have no clue where to start when it comes to expanding my horizons in film. I want to know what people are talking about when they compare movies. I want to experience the best movies of every decade and see where we have progressed and digressed as a culture. I know I am a newbie here, but I want to get to know you guys. I have been watching these forums thinking to myself......."How do I impress these guys???" I came to conclusion that I cannot. But you guys impress me. And for that, I thank you all. My life consists of work, a child, food, and sleep. I am hoping this site helps improve my time in this world. Let's have fun. Later guys!

Don't worry too much about impressing anyone. Just say what you like. If you like it for good reasons, can roll with the punches if and when (more like when) people disagree, and be open to new types of film, you'll be just fine.

Welcome to Movie Forums.

I am no cinephile. I watch summer blockbusters and indie films on Netflix. I have no clue where to start when it comes to expanding my horizons in film. I want to know what people are talking about when they compare movies. I want to experience the best movies of every decade and see where we have progressed and digressed as a culture. I know I am a newbie here, but I want to get to know you guys. I have been watching these forums thinking to myself......."How do I impress these guys???" I came to conclusion that I cannot. But you guys impress me. And for that, I thank you all. My life consists of work, a child, food, and sleep. I am hoping this site helps improve my time in this world. Let's have fun. Later guys!
Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy it here and I think you will if expanding your film watching horizons is your objective

For what to watch I'd recommend using the lists on this site where you can check off films you've watched from various lists, some of them are from critics such as Sight & Sound and you may find them less accessible/enjoyable if you jump right in, where as some of the lists are actually compiled by members of the forum joining together so they tend to have a good mix of quality and enjoyment.

So yeh, I recommend checking and filling out the lists, if you go to your profile you can also add your top 10 films which shows up on the top right of each post you can make, that way people will know what kind of stuff you like and maybe point you in the right direction as to what to watch next

I sure will jump right into that! Thanks guys I am sure I will see plenty of you around!

I'm new as well. Everyone here is cool so dont be afraid to jump into the fray. I do have to say if your working and have a kid your already spending your time wisely.

What is the best list to start with in the general opinion?

I actually did read your whole Top 100. RoboCop at #1 was completely out of nowhere and I loved it. Also loved Tremors, TMNT, First Blood, and I must say Scream 3 was my favorite of the series. Loved The Goonies also! Very nice list, my friend!

Thanks! I've redone it recently though. First Blood has been dropped

There's a load of lists on here, you'll notice a few similarities throughout them all really... says a lot for certain films too when they appear again and again on different lists.

There's also a lists section at the top of the page if you look, it has a bunch of films that you can check off if you've seen them and they go onto your profile.

What is the best list to start with in the general opinion?
If you're talking about completely the lists in the list section then I wouldn't specifically try and target one, just I tend to look out for films on TV that belong to lists as these are normally good ones. If you post up your favourite films/directors I'm sure you'll get plenty of recommendations

Watching Mulholland Drive for first time. This film seems like it will need more than one viewing to understand.

Watching Mulholland Drive for first time. This film seems like it will need more than one viewing to understand.
Definitely, although I feel that having read around it I can make sense of it, Lynch is a great director, I've only seen two of his films and want to explore more of his work myself. If you like Mulholland Drive then I recommend Blue Velvet (Dennis Hopper in my avatar is from that film), my favourite Lynch at the moment, much more straightforward in terms of understanding but still as bizarre as Mulholland Drive. Then watch all of Quentin Tarantino and Paul Thomas Anderson's films

Pretty caught up on Tarentino, although I would love to see Jackie Brown and Django again.

Just watched Mulholland Drive. Not embarrassed to say I have no clue what was going on most of the time. I need to rewatch soon when I do not have to pause every 7 minutes for this child!

Welcome to the site, Fuze. Good to see you've already jumped in and started posting.

As for which list to start with? I agree with Rodent, you should start with mine. And watch Jackie Brown again. The last great Tarantino film.

I am no cinephile. I watch summer blockbusters and indie films on Netflix. I have no clue where to start when it comes to expanding my horizons in film.
Well, watch all the movies by Stanley Kubrick, the greatest hollywood director of all time in my book. If you can read subtitles I would suggest Kurosawa, Ozu and Tarkovsky and if you can watch animation, Miyazaki.

Anyway, I am not very experienced myself but I have already formed a clear picture of what I like the most.

Another good ways of looking down for movies are the top 250 list at the IMDB and the top 250 list of the Sign and Sound 2012 poll.

Just watched Mulholland Drive. Not embarrassed to say I have no clue what was going on most of the time. I need to rewatch soon when I do not have to pause every 7 minutes for this child!
Mulholland Drive is not a movie to be understood, it is a work of art that works at an emotional level not a rational level.