Black Swan

Tools    

"Black Swan is one of several greats I've seen this year. Here's a paste job of the capsule review I wrote up for the website.

(89) I was taken aback by just how full a shopping center showing of this picture was on a Monday afternoon. It’s not often that a film this strange gets as much popular attention – especially when the Academy’s nominations aren’t even out yet. Darren Aronofsky, a director known for bizarre and intimate works, continues to impress with Black Swan. The story itself is old as sand but thankfully the screenplay doesn’t pursue too many obvious and expected turns. Portman’s performance is riveting and perhaps it’s time to take Kunis seriously.

Can't say I'm going to see it again in theateers, as there are too many flicks being released during Oscar season, but I'll be overjoyed when it releases on home video.

Watched it the other night I would just say-brilliant. Aranofsky has proven to be one of my favorite directors once again. (worship)

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I can't say I'm a big fan of Aronosky -- didn't like The Fountain, never saw Requiem for a Dream, liked The Wrestler -- but this film is so interesting and disturbing, I cannot get it out of my head.

While watching it, all I kept thinking was that someone who really knows the world of ballet wrote this. While the film is a bit fantastical in terms of what happens, at the same time, it all seemed rather realistic when we think about how much these dancers must put pressure on themselves to do well.

Portman is magnificient and what a joy it was to see Winona Ryder.

I have to wonder, though, if Aronosky expected us in the audience to be surprised by the ending. I wasn't, but that isn't a criticism because I'm not sure if he intended any surprise.

BTW, I jumped and screamed at one point in the movie. Too funny!

Excellent film. Not exactly the kind of film for everyone, but incredibly interesting.

Portman is magnificient and what a joy it was to see Winona Ryder.

I have to wonder, though, if Aronosky expected us in the audience to be surprised by the ending. I wasn't, but that isn't a criticism because I'm not sure if he intended any surprise.
Winona was refreshing. And I doubt it was supposed to be a surprise, anyone who got into her character enough could have figured that out before the end.

I can't say I'm a big fan of Aronosky -- didn't like The Fountain, never saw Requiem for a Dream, liked The Wrestler -- but this film is so interesting and disturbing, I cannot get it out of my head.
I'm definitely not a big fan of Aronosky. Visually, I liked The Fountain, but that's the best that I can say about it. I hated Requiem for a Dream... but I did like The Wrestler.

I have heard that Portman is great in this movie, but that the movie itself is not fantastic. I believe I will wait for it to go to DVD.