Supersize Me.

→ in
Tools    

STOMP FREAKIN' TASTIC!
OK, so watched Supersize Me last night, gotta admit its pretty eye opening. Im a gym junkie anyways so eating at Mc D's was never really in my schedule but this docu film really does put you off eating there ever again.
For those not in the know, the film documents one mans journey through fast food hell. Eating 3 square meals a day, this one man must only eat at McDonalds for one month. He can only eat what McD's sell and must eat every item listed on the menu in that month once.

From a reveiw point i'd say watch it as it's pretty entertaining, a little bit sad, a little bit funny, but on the whole a whole lot informative.

Glad I finished my Mickey D's Breakfast before I read this...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

i saw the movie and i'll never look at Micky D's again the same way.

I wipe my ass with your feelings
Is that the Guinea pig guy, once skinny and then he became all so fat?

I am having a nervous breakdance
It's funny that this film is even needed for people to understand that McDonald's is bad for you if you eat it too much.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Moderation is a bit underated these days.
You know those Subway commercials that compare their sandwiches to the Big Mac?
Well the statistics they use are a bit skewed. They list their sandwhich with 6 or less grams of fat and list the Big Mac at thirty some odd grams of fat. Then in small print you see that this does not include condiments for the Subway sandwhich, but does include it for the Big Mac. Is that a bit misleading or what? You take a Big Mac with only the lettuce, onions, meat and bread and you have about 12 grams of fat. Not exatcly 6, but hey not to bad for a hamgurger. You take that same Subway sandwhich and pile on the cheese, mayo, etc... and you are pretty close to 27 grams. I guess what I am trying to say is that it is not exactly what you eat that hurts you, but what you add to it. I used to be a fast food manager at McDonalds, and although I do not eat there very often it should be common sense that it does matter where you eat, it is what you eat. Salads and grilled chicken are available at McDonalds. Oh, before you think I am a big McDonalds fan, I am not. It was one of the worst jobs I have ever had, but I did learn a lot.

STOMP FREAKIN' TASTIC!
Originally Posted by Godsend
Is that the Guinea pig guy, once skinny and then he became all so fat?
Sort of, he started at 180lbs and weighed in at about 220lbs at the end of his month.

One of the extra's on the disc had me cringing / laughing....... its was called The Smoking Fry...... basically they took a load of different McD's burgers, a McD's supersize fries, and a rival firms "proper" burger and fries and put them all into seperate jars. For 8 weeks. As you'd expect everything went mouldy and started breaking down and oozing all over the place...... except the McD's fries..... after 8 weeks there wasn't a single mark on them... they looked fresh! Now call me Mr.Picky but that can't be right!

Originally Posted by The Sarge
..... except the McD's fries..... after 8 weeks there wasn't a single mark on them... they looked fresh! Now call me Mr.Picky but that can't be right!

By the way I have never eaten a burger in my life, but unfortunatly i have eaten McD's fries

Randomly visiting for now
Opened up my eyes a bit to the dangers of excessive junk food eating, but really was it that suprising. They could have done the same for KFC and the results would have been just as worse. It was a cool idea though and deserved the money i paid for my movie ticket.

No oenss ot those of you who loved this movie, but it amazes me how many people have fallen for this guys anti-corporate propoganda. HE ATE 5,000 calories a day. more than double what a normal person ate.

Plus -- his attacks on the fast food industry just seemed a little excessive. at the end of the day, we choose what we put in our bodies, not someone else.

Originally Posted by ProfGreen
No oenss ot those of you who loved this movie, but it amazes me how many people have fallen for this guys anti-corporate propoganda. HE ATE 5,000 calories a day. more than double what a normal person ate.

Plus -- his attacks on the fast food industry just seemed a little excessive. at the end of the day, we choose what we put in our bodies, not someone else.
No oenss ot those of you who can't type a thought, but have you even seen the movie?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

STOMP FREAKIN' TASTIC!
Originally Posted by ProfGreen
HE ATE 5,000 calories a day. more than double what a normal person eats
LoL, i eat about 4000cals a day m8..... but i am a gym fiend so...

Yes, I've seen the movie. Twice in fact. I'm well aware of all of the supposed research that he presents, but so much of it was just so biased that I had such a hard time buying into it. Do kids in America have the best diets?? Of course not. But, I don't look at the manufacturers as holding blame. I blamed the parents. If they are that unsatisfied with what they're children are bringing, its just as cost effective to send them to school with a lunch of the parents chosing.

Essentially, every moment that Spurlock points his finger and the food industry, I point my finger at personal responsibility.

STOMP FREAKIN' TASTIC!
@ ProfGreen.... slightly off topic, but you're avatar m8, it's seriously cracking me up, i just can't stop laughin'!

I still love McDonalds after i watche the movie...

Yeah, I still love McDonald's too, even after watching Super Size Me. Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm... McChickens, Double Cheeseburgers, Fries, Strawberry Sundaes, Big N Tastys, Double Quarter Pounders... and I gotta try their new Philly Cheese Steak sub. I wanted to stop eating McDonald's forever after watching this movie, but it didn't happen. That place is just so cheap and accessible, ya know? If it kills me one day, I can bang my coffin with my corpse hands nonstop - "DAMN YOU, MCDONALDS! USE ALL THAT MONEY YOU GOT FROM ME AND BRING ME BACK TO LIFE!"

It was an interesting movie, though I don't think it taught us anything we didn't know... Just kind of used an extreme example to hammer home a point. He could have easily eaten the salads and other things they offer, but he did have an agenda and wanted to make sure it was served... and I can't say there's anything wrong with that. I didn't watch it expecting a completely factual film.

My Top 100 favorite movies.

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
It's funny that this film is even needed for people to understand that McDonald's is bad for you if you eat it too much.
Exactly

What next, a documentary about a guy drinking beer only to discover that it gets him drunk?
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused
Exactly

What next, a documentary about a guy drinking beer only to discover that it gets him drunk?
Hmmm... well what I meant was that it's not the film that's the problem but the fact that some people obviously believe that McDonald's food is healthy and nourishing (mistaking ads for true information, that is). The film I guess can be considered a success since McDonald's did some changes in their menus after the film was released, or so I hear.

[edit] This is pretty interesting, me thinks.

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Hmmm... well what I meant was that it's not the film that's the problem but the fact that some people obviously believe that McDonald's food is healthy and nourishing (mistaking ads for true information, that is). The film I guess can be considered a success since McDonald's did some changes in their menus after the film was released, or so I hear.

[edit] This is pretty interesting, me thinks.
Sure maybe Mcdonald's have been a little misleading with regards to how healthy their food is but I think this is the case with most of the food industry and not just Mcdonald's. Most nutrients and minerals are destroyed in most foods when they are mass produced. Air is injected into meats and bread to help fill it out. Bread is sometimes dyed to the desired color i.e add brown dye to white bread to make brown bread. Even food you buy from health food stores are the same they just charge you more for it. Everything that grows is coated in chemicals to help it grow. Foods are processed at very high temperatures which can chemically change proteins into toxins. Fact is there's probably more nourishment in the box that the food comes in and the only way you can be sure of eating something healthy is by growing ur own food.