Best Movies About The Emergence of a Leader

Tools    

General Maximus Decimus Meridius in Gladiator.Seriously what an awesome movie that pretty much the whole point of the movie is him emerging as leader!
But the guy starts out as a general and ends up as a criminal (by the emperor's standards) captive originally destined to be raw meat at the circus. He uses the knowledge that raised him to a general in the Roman legions to survive--for awhile. But he and the other gladiators do not attain freedom and only delay their inevitable demise. He's certainly no Spartacus!

Let me suggest another character who uses his military training and knowledge to acquire and then lose greater power--Sean Connery in The Man Who Would be King (As with the general in Gladiator, I think his fall was more spectacular than his rise.)

[quote=The Godfather;483280]stole the words right out of my mouth, except for the third movie...i might be the only person who enjoyed Godfather III, its nowhere near as good as the first two, but it has its place...and if you want to continue the whole leadership thing, michael passes it on to vincent mancini, who changes his name to corleone at michaels allowance...thus continuing the family tree, however, if there were to be another godfather, i dont think vincent would be the best godfather, he was just like his father, all hotheaded and what not...

Well, we do agree it was nowhere near as good as the first two. And it does have it's place--if someone has gotten around to digging the hole for it. Just kidding!

what about carlito's way, rise to power?...jk!
"Empire had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All Jedi had was a bunch of Muppets." - Dante Hicks

Thanks mark f, very interesting and appreciated, but it's still great art in my opinion. You could also bring up Griffith's Birth of a Nation, which oddly enough was followed up a year later in 1916 by a film called Intolerance.

But the guy starts out as a general and ends up as a criminal (by the emperor's standards) captive originally destined to be raw meat at the circus. He uses the knowledge that raised him to a general in the Roman legions to survive--for awhile. But he and the other gladiators do not attain freedom and only delay their inevitable demise. He's certainly no Spartacus!

Let me suggest another character who uses his military training and knowledge to acquire and then lose greater power--Sean Connery in The Man Who Would be King (As with the general in Gladiator, I think his fall was more spectacular than his rise.)
qouted from rufnek

I kinda see what you are saying but when he first falls he is only a General. At the end he has won full control of Rome and gives the power back to the people. Which in essence he LEADS the people Rome to freedom, even though he dies. I have never seen The Man Who Would be King but I am going to watch it and I will get back to you.