MONSTER MOVIE!!! Your favorite one, and why?!

Tools    

Just to clarify monster being a real monster and not the human kind like Hannibal Lecter

Coppollas Dracula was good, but Carpenters The Thing was better. It scared the hell out of me and on so many levels. Its freezing, theres only a dozen of them, theyre completely isolated, and the special effects for the times were awesome.

I love the tough guy character development, and the movie was shameless to the point by having no women in it whatsoever. The intensity sustained throughout. The cast was solid with Kurt Russell, Wilford Brimley, and David Keith. Glad they havent remade this one. Remember when you used to appreciate Carpenters mood sound thru his classics. Well The Thing will remind you all over again.

Of course if someone lists one I forgot this doesnt count and I can still change my mind

Again I agree with Pawn; my favorite monster/monster movie is Cloverfield.

Unless you count The Blair Witch Project or The Descent as "monster movies," but when I think "monster," I think "big."

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

Yeah! Wasn't it exciting? I mean, I was on the edge of my seat during that movie and all the critics were whining about the shaky, hand-held camera--motion sickness crap but it totally grew on me.

You want to post like me?
Unless you count The Blair Witch Project or The Descent as "monster movies," but when I think "monster," I think "big."
There were monsters in Blair Witch? Here I am thinking it was just a bunch of film students, running around in the woods, exposing their nostrils.

The Blair Witch Project never actually shows a monster, but The Descent is surely a monster movie.

My favorite is definitely Jaws. I think it's the best monster movie ever made. The way it doesn't show the shark in full view until the last half hour or so is one thing, and the incredibly strong cast of characters is another. Too many monster movies nowadays have me rooting for the monster by putting in an extremely annoying protagonist (Cloverfield is one of them), but the characters in Jaws are all easy to empathize with, and easy to like.

The remake of The Thing is a good one too. The victim imitation aspect is the best part. It's been done before in films like Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but The Thing captured all of the characters paranoia and distrust like no film I've seen before. And, just like Jaws, it has strong characters.

Another favorite, and one of the first monster movies, is Frankenstein. In fact, pretty much all of the classic universal horror films are favorites of mine. But, Frankenstein holds up just as well today as before. It brings fright, suspense, and sadness to the screen so well today that I only wish I could've been in the crowd of people that saw it back in '31. I almost forgot to mention Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein as a favorite as well; one of the funniest movies ever made.

There's a few of Dracula flicks out there that I love. Including the 1931 version, the first Hammer Horror version, and even the remake starring Gary Oldman is one that I feel captures the classic horror spirit just right.

I talked about liking The Thing above. As far as Alien films go, to me, only a few can beat The Thing, and one is Alien. A while back, I stated that I think it's the most perfectly paced film of all time, and I stand by that statement. Alien is a perfect example of a great monster movie. Aliens is a great example of what genre bending half way into a movie can do. Alien 3 and 4 may not be the best, but I still enjoy them.

The original version of King Kong is a good one. A prime example of what you can do with film, and still one of the most original monster movies ever made. I loved the '05 remake as well.

A more modern one that I loved was The Mist. It has all the makings and inspirations of a classic monster movie with a strong touch of emotion (something that most creature features lack).

The Elephant Man is a strange one. Not strange because David Lynch directed, but because it's a monster movie, and the monster is the one that's being frightened, not the other way around. The monster is actually the protagonist in this one.

I also have a ton of monster movie guilty pleasures that fall under the Sasquatch sub-genre, starting with Hammer Horror's The Abominable Snowman.

I'm tired of typing, so I hope that just a list of other favorites will suffice:
Abbot and Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Invisible Man, The Mummy
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde ('20, '32, '41)
The Invisible Man
Island of Lost Souls
The Phantom of the Opera ('25)
Predator
The Quatermass Experiment
I Walked With a Zombie - Do zombies count?
The Wolf Man

I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting.

Manolo, Shoot That Piece Of Sh*t!
I liked that movie Cloverfield. I know it didn't get stellar reviews but it really appealed to me.
I second that

Spikez's DVD Collection

Last Movie Seen: The Breakfast Club

Manolo, Shoot That Piece Of Sh*t!
I really liked those universal classic movies, wolf man, bride of frankenstein, the invisible man, creature of the black lagoon, Dracula, ...

hm... I think I'll choose Hellsing (does it count??) if not, soo
Alien vs Predator - the coolest MONSTER MOVIE ever!!!!^^

Ma favorites: http://www/onemanga.com http://www.dvdcdgame.com

^^In love with myself... ^^

Yeah! Wasn't it exciting? I mean, I was on the edge of my seat during that movie and all the critics were whining about the shaky, hand-held camera--motion sickness crap but it totally grew on me.
You should see it on Blu-ray; the monster almost pops right out of the screen to get you!

There were monsters in Blair Witch? Here I am thinking it was just a bunch of film students, running around in the woods, exposing their nostrils.
The Blair Witch Project never actually shows a monster, but The Descent is surely a monster movie.
Although we never actually see her/it, the Blair Witch certainly isn't human (unless you go along with the theory that it was all a hoax), so...yeah. Wasn't sure whether to call it a monster movie or not for this thread.

Since it's never explained in the movie, the reality is whatever theory you want it to be, Mark.

I didn't know you had such an interest in this. Where was this when I posted my review of BWP a couple months back? But, to answer your question briefly: since the events in the film aren't explained, there are quite a few possibilities about what actually happened in it.

-It was all a hoax; the townspeople (or some other group of people) were scaring the three protagonists, playing one big joke on them.
-It really was the vengeful spirit of Ellie Kedward, the Blair Witch, causing all of the supernatural events to occur.
-The events in the film were caused by the Blair Witch Cult, a group of insidious people briefly talked about in the film. If I go into details on that one, this post will be longer than I'd care to have it.

And there are one or two other theories out there. Of course, I know that nothing in the movie actually happened in real life; it's all a theory about what happened in the universe of the movie.

We can continue this discussion via me creating a thread dedicated to BWP if you'd like.