Ghost In The Shell (2017)

Tools    

I agree that Oldboy is a good movie and it is based off a manga. But how many people outside we humble movie buffs actually know about that movie,
Outside of a few Martial Arts films i think this is the most well known foreign language film among my friends. I also think from my experience at least along with City of God, Pan's Labyrinth and some Martial Arts films this is the foreign language film most non movie nerds i've met know and/or have seen. Seven Samurai for example is actually a lot more obscure than Oldboy in my circles.

, and how many more still know it is the adaptation of a manga? Hell I only learned that fact recently.
I only found out during Rodents Comic Book Film Countdown.

Well, Kamikaze Girls is a light novel adaptation and is great. Among manga live action adaptations I think that Oldboy is good. Haven't watched any Rurouni Kenshin live action films.
I was only talking about Kenshin adaptations that's why i quoted that part of your post.

Outside of a few Martial Arts films i think this is the most well known foreign language film among my friends. I also think from my experience at least along with City of God, Pan's Labyrinth and some Martial Arts films this is the foreign language film most non movie nerds i've met know and/or have seen. Seven Samurai for example is actually a lot more obscure than Oldboy in my circles.
Fair enough. But still we didn't know it was a manga adaptation. And it's box office numbers don't exactly scream "blockbuster" which is what Hollywood want's for Ghost in the Shell.

And for that matter do we really have that much faith that Rupert Sanders, the director of Snow White and the Huntsman was really the best pick for this movie?

But as for Anime and Manga adaptations in the US and targeting a US audience, those created by Hollywood have been terrible. I saw Dragonball Evolution and it is one of my top 10 LOATHED films. I also saw The Last Airbender (not anime I know) and it was terrible too. And while the Speed Racer movie was actually okay, it was a major flop.
Well I don't think these are remotely comparable. GitS is a cyberpunk graphic novel, its a similar situation to Blade Runner which was adapted from a cyberpunk novel.

Not to mention you have Hollywood which is only interested in making money, trying to get a blockbuster hit from an IP that is held in high regard from a small albeit very enthusiastic and vocal demographic.
Well, novels like Dune and Blade Runner' source novel were not super mainstream either and Hollywood made movies out of them. The popularity of the GitS manga is like os those novels.

Hollywood is a means of making cultural products accessible for global consumption. They pick novels and comic books and make movies that are watched by 100 times more people than the source material all the time. Even for extremely popular books: the number of people who watched even the Lord of the Rings movies is 10 times larger than the number who read the novels even the Harry Potter movies were watched by more people than the books.

And then trying to get that film to be seen by the general population as well who are not into anime to try and see it will require an A list actress. Which sadly there is no A list Japanese actress right now. And since Lucy made big bucks overseas, I guess they think Johansson might be a good casting to get their money back plus a profit.
I don't think you need a Japanese actress, I don't think having a white actress makes any difference. And second, the potential popularity of the adaptation of a cyberpunk classic depends mostly on the quality and entertainment value of the hollwyood script. I don't think they will make another Blade Runner or anything but I think the movie have more substance than most recent Sci Fi Hollywood movies.

People don't even need to know there is also an whole franchise of manga and movie and TV adaptations from Japan.

Its essentially irrelevant, this is just a cyberpunk Japanese graphic novel that Hollywood is going to adapt. Edge of Tomorrow is the closest situation, a Japanese Sci fi novel adapted into a Hollywood blockbuster with some success.

I have no idea if this will be a good movie. But at the very least if they are going to try and adapt the original Ghost in the Shell anime MOVIE then this has a shot at being good. If they are going to try and adapt a season of the TV show, then they risk falling to the same problems of Dragonball Evolution by trying to cram WAY too much into the movie at once, and it feels like an over paced flick.
The original manga you mean? Of course they will adapt the original manga. This is obvious.

Well I don't think these are remotely comparable. GitS is a cyberpunk graphic novel, its a similar situation to Blade Runner which was adapted from a cyberpunk novel.
All true. But I doubt the general audience will see it the same way.

Also, Rupert Sanders is the director. I am not all that confident in his abilities.

Fair enough. But still we didn't know it was a manga adaptation. And it's box office numbers don't exactly scream "blockbuster" which is what Hollywood want's for Ghost in the Shell.

And for that matter do we really have that much faith that Rupert Sanders, the director of Snow White and the Huntsman was really the best pick for this movie?
Oh no i agree with you this is most likely going to be a piece of crap. i said as much on the first page and even brought up the director. I just picked up on that part of your comment because practically everyone i know knows of Oldboy and always the Korean film not Spike Lee's.

Nobody knows Edge of Tomorrow is based on a Japanese light novel with cover design by the creative mind of Haibane Renmei and Texhnolyze either. Or that you have a manga of it as well:

Hollywood is a machine that picks niche narratives and adapt those for mainstream global consumption. Sometimes it works sometimes is doesn't.

I don't think there is any Hollywood director currently working with the correct mindset to make a movie like GitS, which is a very intellectual and "artsy" stuff. Well, maybe Ridley Scott because he made Blade Runner and Alien.

James Cameron said he will make an adaptation of Gunnm after he finishes Avatar 4 (Iike in 2028 or something) as well. Gunnm is another cyberpunk manga that I regard as superior to the GitS manga, its also more amenable to Hollywood adaptation becuase its more action based and less intellectual than GitS.

The excuse that they couldn't greenlight a GitS movie with a "no-name" actor completelty disregards the weight that Ghost in the Shell's name carries.
What weight? I like the movie fine, but very few people in America actually care about the name value of Ghost in the Shell. Ghost in the Shell does not have enough fans to be profitable or even warrant a wide release on its own. A made for TV or low budget indie release movie, maybe. And I don't think you could make a good adaptation with $5M to work with.

Oh no i agree with you this is most likely going to be a piece of crap. i said as much on the first page and even brought up the director. I just picked up on that part of your comment because practically everyone i know knows of Oldboy and always the Korean film not Spike Lee's.
Again, fair enough.

I dont care what anyone says about the Magnificant Seven that was good movie and dont mind it was a remake of the Seven Samurai really. It prooved that asian stories can be americanized and done correctly.
Dragonball Would not be that Hard Too Do Live action wise and yet it was jumbled.

It prooved that asian stories can be americanized and done correctly.
How many times has it been done since? I have no idea of any other examples so i'm asking.

I can't recall any but once says they can it just you have to get the right idea and people to do it. Hollywood is just lazier then in the old days. Most problem is its just not easy to get a movie released in many theaters in the USA without well known actors . Asian stories like anime and games have to change just to get studio backing and interest those who never saw anime toons

Originally Posted by Iroquois
This series of tweets makes a pretty compelling argument for why Ghost in the Shell is an intrinsically Japanese work and how the setting is integral rather than incidental.
No, I get how it makes sense thematically, it's a perfect example of the Neo-Tokyo trope and I'd honestly prefer it not be divorced from that.

I'm just saying that the setting was never a critical element of any of the stories I'm aware of, therefor changing it's location wouldn't significantly impact it. It'll be in a far-future metropolis regardless of which country it's in.

This movie could hypothetically miss the point, dig out GitS at the roots and still make a serviceable if not better movie.

Do I think they will? No, and further comparisons to Lucy only put me off more, but I'm not above the possability that this could be decent.

The excuse that they couldn't greenlight a GitS movie with a "no-name" actor completelty disregards the weight that Ghost in the Shell's name carries.
What weight? I like the movie fine, but very few people in America actually care about the name value of Ghost in the Shell. Ghost in the Shell does not have enough fans to be profitable or even warrant a wide release on its own. A made for TV or low budget indie release movie, maybe. And I don't think you could make a good adaptation with $5M to work with.
Nonsense, go to any of the countless anime conventions in America and see how many people recognize the name. Bets are nearly everyone there will know of it.

Yeah Omniz is right. Ghost In The Shell Ive even seen and I hardly watch anime. More people have at least heard about it than youd think.

I can Think Of Six easier Anime Movies That Could Work In An American/Asian Mixed setting better then Ghost In The Shell frankly.

Outlaw Star.
Cowboy Bebop.
Inuyasha So could be made with Asian Actors and would make One Brother Asian The Other Differant race.
Big O.
Dragon Ball Z. Dont get whats so hard about doing that story.
Witch Hunter Robin.