Ghost In The Shell (2017)

Tools    

Hahahaha loving this thread. I am not sure about the film and the cast, because I only have bad experiences with Hollywood trying to make good movies of anime (*cough* Dragonball, The Last Airbender)

Hollywood trying to make good movies of anime (*cough* Dragonball, The Last Airbender)
*cough*airbendersnotanime*cough*

Honestly, I'm fine with the casting of ScarJo. Ghost in the Shell needs a budget to be made properly, and if you cast a no name Japanese actress as the star, you're not getting the budget. Trying to CGI her to make her look Asian is a problem. They should just be upfront, like Ridley Scott did with Exodus. "Yes, Egyptians were black, but the movie doesn't get made if I don't have someone like Bale as the star". Ideally, plenty of actual Japanese people can fill out the supporting cast. I like the woman from Pacific Rim and Wolverine, and she has been basically out of work since those.

My problem is some nobody playing the lead male role from the team. The Big guy with like the eye implants. I think he was Blonde. Im sorry just cant remember characters names. My point is he should be casted with a well know as well.

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45
Avatar The Last Airbender is an American TV show that has an Anime influence. Kind like the Teen Titans cartoon that was released years ago, but neither are Anime proper.
This.

Originally Posted by NedStark09
My problem is some nobody playing the lead male role from the team. The Big guy with like the eye implants. I think he was Blonde. Im sorry just cant remember characters names.
His name's Batou and he has more personality than "The Major" so it's more important to cast him right.

The weakest Batou incarnations are those where he lacks a sense of humor.

I just cannot think of any asians though that could have worked for Batou. He is a bit unual. I think he would have too be either half american in the movie or half some other country. I think Chris Hemsworth would have been ok here.

BATOU

I would have taken Hemsworth and Replaced Scarlett with someone else.

Major

Alexandria
Yes she is a bit young but give her a hair cut and get her away from the rocks movies. Scarlett has enough big movies. Let someone else get a job. You can fill the rest of the cast with asians in my view.

Chris Hemsworth? Eh... Not very Batou-esque.

Also, the setting is pretty non-important. That GitS takes place in Japan is pretty incidental. A GitS adaption simply set in a different country is entirely within reason.

Thay said, there's no damn good reason they couldn't cast the movie appropriately. The excuse that they couldn't greenlight a GitS movie with a "no-name" actor completelty disregards the weight that Ghost in the Shell's name carries.

Welcome to the human race...
Honestly, I'm fine with the casting of ScarJo. Ghost in the Shell needs a budget to be made properly, and if you cast a no name Japanese actress as the star, you're not getting the budget. Trying to CGI her to make her look Asian is a problem. They should just be upfront, like Ridley Scott did with Exodus. "Yes, Egyptians were black, but the movie doesn't get made if I don't have someone like Bale as the star". Ideally, plenty of actual Japanese people can fill out the supporting cast. I like the woman from Pacific Rim and Wolverine, and she has been basically out of work since those.
Which woman is that?

My problem is some nobody playing the lead male role from the team. The Big guy with like the eye implants. I think he was Blonde. Im sorry just cant remember characters names. My point is he should be casted with a well know as well.
If IMDb is correct, they have apparently cast Pilou Asbæk, which is notable because he was also in Lucy opposite Johansson (for about five minutes, though, and if that five minutes is any indication then I can barely comprehend an entire feature film of that).

Chris Hemsworth? Eh... Not very Batou-esque.

Also, the setting is pretty non-important. That GitS takes place in Japan is pretty incidental. A GitS adaption simply set in a different country is entirely within reason.

Thay said, there's no damn good reason they couldn't cast the movie appropriately. The excuse that they couldn't greenlight a GitS movie with a "no-name" actor completelty disregards the weight that Ghost in the Shell's name carries.
This series of tweets makes a pretty compelling argument for why Ghost in the Shell is an intrinsically Japanese work and how the setting is integral rather than incidental.

Here is what I would have done kept the word Ghost but called it something else to more or less discribe the unit and then would have Made IT of a future time where there is no real differance nation wise and that you include the whole world in this future and Regions are Simply Called America, Mexico, England, China, Japan and Africa. Too make a nod too the show make it that The Major in question was not a borg of any kind but a new Robot called Cindy. Cindy too all in the unit is just a human with inhancements and The Leader fatherly character only Knows the truth and we could have the unit composed and different people from The Regions make up the team.

Live action adaptation of anime are notorious bombs. Just look at Dragonball Evolution, Speed Racer, and while not anime, The Last Airbender.
There are many great live action adaptations of manga. GitS is a manga.

Examples? Oldboy.

Japan even made some live action adaptations of stuff like Samurai X. Akira was considered for live action adaptation but the budget was estimated to be too high.

Casting Johansson (who headlined the surprisingly profitable Lucy) is the smart choice. Then again, why waste big bucks on a live action adaptation of a niche medium?
Manga is not a niche medium. Its niche in the US but any foreign (non-English) culture is niche in the US.

Get the powers that be to make a new ANIMATED movie. Been working pretty well for Dragonball Z so far.
I think there are more live action movie adaptations of manga than animated adaptations. Well, live action is generally cheaper to produce, hence the reason. Most animated manga adaptations are TV shows.

Although I don't know any Hollywood manga adaptations, haven't watched any.

I think this GitS movie might be cool. Better than adapting another bland superhero comic, Hollywood should adapt one of the classics of the comic medium, the original GitS manga.

This series of tweets makes a pretty compelling argument for why Ghost in the Shell is an intrinsically Japanese work and how the setting is integral rather than incidental.
Its a bit lacking in detail though it's obvious that the manga and the first movie are very important historical monuments for modern Japanese culture. But there are good adaptations of classics of non-western culture by Hollywood. And I think they are aware that the setting is important for GitS.

Japan even made some live action adaptations of stuff like Samurai X.
Do you think any of them are good? I'm just curious because i love Rurouni Kenshin and decided not to watch any of them because they all looked pretty bad.

The Seven Samurai adaptation is good.

Adaptations of non-western novels are numerous in Hollywood. Some of them are not bad.

Of course, any GitS adaptation will never surpass the original manga or the Mamoru Oshii classic. Its like trying to remake Blade Runner or 2001, obviously it will be inferior.

I agree that Oldboy is a good movie and it is based off a manga. But how many people outside we humble movie buffs and people who read manga actually know about that movie, and how many more still know it is the adaptation of a manga? Hell I only learned that fact recently.

As for live action anime and manga adaptations, I am speaking of the manga and anime culture from an American perspective. I know other titles have been adapted into live action by the Japanese ranging from Death Note to Cutie Honey. As for those titles successes, I am quite ignorant of.

But as for Anime and Manga adaptations in the US and targeting a US audience, those created by Hollywood have been terrible. I saw Dragonball Evolution and it is one of my top 10 LOATHED films. I also saw The Last Airbender (not anime I know) and it was terrible too. And while the Speed Racer movie was actually okay, it was a major flop.

Not to mention you have Hollywood which is only interested in making money, trying to get a blockbuster hit from an IP that is held in high regard from a small albeit very enthusiastic and vocal demographic. And then trying to get that film to be seen by the general population who are not into anime as well. To try and see it get made will require an A list actress. Which sadly there is no A list Japanese actress right now. And since Lucy made big bucks overseas, I guess they think Johansson might be a good casting to get their money back plus a profit.

I have no idea if this will be a good movie. But at the very least if they are going to try and adapt the original Ghost in the Shell anime MOVIE then this has a shot at being good. If they are going to try and adapt a season of the TV show, then they risk falling to the same problems of Dragonball Evolution by trying to cram WAY too much into the movie at once, and it feels like an over paced flick.

Do you think any of them are good? I'm just curious because i love Rurouni Kenshin and decided not to watch any of them because they all looked pretty bad.
Well, Kamikaze Girls is a light novel adaptation and is great. Among manga live action adaptations I think that Oldboy is good. Haven't watched any Rurouni Kenshin live action films.