MonnoM's Library

Tools    

Because my victory over illiteracy should be documented.

Unseaming

A horror anthology

This was a great read. It's pretty rare to find a horror anthology, or any anthology that's good. Pretty much all the stories kept me interested and a lot of them were genuinely creepy. But I hate that book cover.

A Death in Sweden

He was once a CIA agent and now he's hired to hunt down fugitives. He's meant to track a certain individual who just so happens to have died rescuing someone in a bus crash. Now he must uncover who that person was.

Banal story with the most pompous, generally annoying characters I've encountered in any book, ever.

Suffer the Children

Kids begin to drop dead left and right and no one knows why. Parents begin to grieve and massive graves are dug to bury these children. But it's not long until something even stranger begins to happen. The kids are coming back to life only there's something not right about them.

The concept grabbed my attention right away. It did have its eerie moments, but where certain aspects should've been horrifying I felt it held back and sometimes lost its momentum. However, the story was handled fairly well from a character's perspective and though it's a purely fictional scenario it had some realistic dialogue and situations which made it that much more effective. This would actually make a great film.

Memoirs of My Nervous Illness

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Paul_Schreber
"Schreber was a successful and highly respected judge until middle age when the onset of his psychosis occurred. He woke up one morning with the thought that it would be pleasant to "succumb" to sexual intercourse as a woman. He was alarmed and felt that this thought had come from somewhere else, not from himself. He even hypothesized that the thought had come from a doctor who had experimented with hypnosis on him; he thought that the doctor had telepathically invaded his mind. He believed his primary psychiatrist, Prof. Paul Flechsig had contact with him using a "nerve-language" of which Schreber said humans are unaware. He believed that hundreds of people's souls took special interest in him, and contacted his nerves by using "divine rays", telling him special information, or requesting things of him. During one of his stays at the Sonnenstein asylum, he concluded that there are "fleeting-improvised-men" in the world, which he believed were souls that temporarily resided in a human body, by way of a divine miracle."

The book is an account of Schreber's stay in an asylum and it's a fascinating read. It's eye-opening, heartfelt and heartbreaking.
This was once a respected judge and suddenly everything derailed due to schizophrenia. Though
it was also thought that a lot of this occurred due to Schreber's repressed homosexuality. Either way, it's an intriguing albeit tragic story and really makes you realize just how fragile the mind can be.

Teatro Grottesco

Horror anthology

A lot of interesting characters here. The book is divided into 3 sections "Derangements" which I would say my favorites from that are "Purity" and "The Town Manager". I would love to see either one made into a film or if they ever brought back The Twilight Zone these would make for great episodes. Especially the latter. "Deformations" and "The Damaged and Diseased" are the other two sections. It's been a while since I've read this book so I can't recall all the stories in it that I liked, I know I'm missing one in particular but for the life of me I can't remember the title. Either way this is a good book and I recommend it.

NOS4A2

goodreads.com
"
Victoria McQueen has a secret gift for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photograph, answers to unanswerable questions. On her Raleigh Tuff Burner bike, she makes her way to a rickety covered bridge that, within moments, takes her wherever she needs to go, whether it’s across Massachusetts or across the country.

Charles Talent Manx has a way with children. He likes to take them for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the NOS4A2 vanity plate. With his old car, he can slip right out of the everyday world, and onto the hidden roads that transport them to an astonishing – and terrifying – playground of amusements he calls “Christmasland.”

Then, one day, Vic goes looking for trouble—and finds Manx. That was a lifetime ago. Now Vic, the only kid to ever escape Manx’s unmitigated evil, is all grown up and desperate to forget. But Charlie Manx never stopped thinking about Victoria McQueen"

I commend the author for his creativity and building this crazy and fanciful world. But at times I was turned off by the characters and the way they would interact and things they'd say, which I just found silly and it ruined the atmosphere for me. Also, considering the grand nature of the story, I think it could've pushed the boundaries a bit more. I recently read that there might be a series or movie made. It would be interesting to see it come to life.

Bird Box

goodreads.com
"
Something is out there, something terrifying that must not be seen. One glimpse of it, and a person is driven to deadly violence. No one knows what it is or where it came from."

Trust me, that's all you need to know about it. Any more and it could ruin the utter awesomeness that is Bird Box. Talk about imaginative, this was that and so much more. Really innovative book and a great accomplishment for Malerman with this being his debut novel. It's gripping from beginning to end and the characters are relatable and convincing. This is another one that's up for a movie adaptation and I, for one, am very interested in seeing how it all turns out.

great,ive noticed that you`ve read alot interesting stuff!
Unseaming and suffer the children looks like something i might check out!

great,ive noticed that you`ve read alot interesting stuff!
Unseaming and suffer the children looks like something i might check out!
If you do decide to read them, let me know what you think.

Definitely!
I looked for them on ebay but they only had them in paperback-which i hate with a passion im going to see if i cant find them at the local bookstore

Definitely!
I looked for them on ebay but they only had them in paperback-which i hate with a passion im going to see if i cant find them at the local bookstore
Why do you hate paperback?

Here's hoping you find at least one of them and relatively cheap. But don't go to too much trouble over them, Tops.

you know what,i dont really know.
I just find it harder to get into the story when im reading paperbacks,maybe because the pages are smaller and so is the text and letters.Last time i read i really had to focus because i kept missing the line and mixing them up (am i getting old? )
Also they just feel so unofficial-but thats from a superficial point of view

nah,im excited for them-ive been looking for new books on ebay the whole week because i just finished my last one!

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Bird Box sounds like something that I would find to be a very good read. I just added it to my Goodreads list. I have about 5 books that I am reading at the moment. As soon as I finish the one (which will be soon) I will have to see if the library has this one.

The Devil's Detective (Thomas Fool #1)

"Thomas Fool is an Information Man, an investigator tasked with cataloging and filing reports on the endless stream of violence and brutality that flows through Hell. His job holds no reward or satisfaction, because Hell has rules but no justice. But when an important political delegation arrives and a human is found murdered in a horrific manner—extravagant even by Hell's standards—everything changes. Fool will piece together clues and follow a trail that leads directly into the heart of a dark and chaotic conspiracy. A revolution is brewing in Hell...and nothing is what it seems." - goodreads.com

I really like the world Unsworth created in this novel. It certainly isn't sparse when it comes to certain cliches we tend to associate with the concept of Hell, but what I liked best was that it mixed that with a sense of realism. It's not so much a fiery pit (although it certainly features that element) as it is a sort of Ghetto. Each "neighborhood" has it's own particular ambiance and form of torture. But I especially appreciated the political undertones and how well he incorporated it into the story. The ending was a very nice touch to that effect. Would make for a fantastic TV series.

The Enchanted

"The enchanted place is an ancient stone prison, viewed through the eyes of a death row inmate who finds escape in his books and in re-imagining life around him, weaving a fantastical story of the people he observes and the world he inhabits. Fearful and reclusive, he senses what others cannot. Though bars confine him every minute of every day, he marries magical visions of golden horses running beneath the prison, heat flowing like molten metal from their backs, with the devastating violence of prison life." - goodreads.com

That's as far as you should go with the synopsis, it's just a lot better the less you know. This is an absolutely wonderful book. Not only because it was beautifully written, but the subject matter is a challenging one. It challenges the reader to delve deeper into their own humanity, which when you consider the said subject matter, it's just not an easy task. I'll admit it left me feeling conflicted. After reading it, I found myself questioning how I view certain things and whether to keep a more open mind where emotions tend to take over. I applaud the book that much more for it and I highly recommend it.

House of Suns

"Six million years ago, at the dawn of the star-faring era, Abigail Gentian fractured herself into a thousand male and female clones, which she called shatterlings. But now, someone is eliminating the Gentian line. Campion and Purslane-two shatterlings who have fallen in love and shared forbidden experiences-must determine exactly who, or what, their enemy is, before they are wiped out of existence." - goodreads.com

Fantastic book full of imagination and amazing characters. I would love to see this come to the big screen.

Ship of Fools

"Home to generations of humans, the starship Argonos has wandered aimlessly throughout the galaxy for hundreds of years, desperately searching for other signs of life. Now an unidentified transmission lures them toward a nearby planet-and into the dark heart of an alien mystery." - goodreads.com

Dark and gritty, it really helped satisfy this longing I've had for dark sci-fi, which currently the film industry is lacking. The thing I think could've used some improvement was the characters. They needed to be better polished. Sometimes I found them to be dull and there were times their reaction to certain things would almost ruin the impact for me, if it weren't in itself so thrilling.

His Pain

"
Life is pain...or at least it is for Jason. Born with a rare central nervous disorder, every sensation is pain. Every sound, scent, texture, flavor, even every breath, brings nothing but mind-numbing pain. His days are spent in a padded room addicted to every narcotic known to man. At night he is sealed in a sensory deprivation bag to block out the entire world. Pain is all Jason has ever known about the world. Until the arrival of Yogi Arjunda of the Temple of Physical Enlightenment. He claims to be able to help Jason, to be able to give him a life of more than agony. But the treatment leaves Jason changed and he wants to share what he learned. He wants to share his pain" - goodreads.com

I have to say the concept is very intriguing and the first half of the book was really good. But then it takes a turn for the utterly bizarre. Too much so even for me. I expected it to a degree considering it's Bizarro Fiction, which I'm not a huge fan of as it is. Mostly because this tends to be its usual M.O. in my case. But the plot piqued my interest and I won't deny that it's a pretty good concept. Just not feeling the execution.

Lost Gods

A man ends up in Purgatory and tries to find a way to make it back to his Earthly realm to save his wife and child.

It's been a while since I've added anything here. This book took me too long to finish. Not because of its size, but because it felt like a chore reading it, so I would put it down for weeks at a time. I know, then why bother. Well, I rarely abandon a book, because I have to know how it ends. Silly me. Don't get me wrong, it had some interesting aspects. For example, the Gods battling souls. But it just wasn't a very enjoyable reading experience, especially considering it was riddled with errors. If not the spelling, it would be whole words missing. But even if it was written properly, the way he tells a story is not all that engaging. I only gave it an extra popcorn because it is an interesting idea.

Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials

"In this illustrated field guide to extraterrestrials-a 1980 nominee for the ABA and Hugo Awards and named one of the Best Books of Spring 1980 by School Library Journal-Wayne Douglas Barlowe paints 50 denizens of popular science fiction literature. 150 full-color paintings show each character not only in full figure but also in detail highlighting distinctive characteristics. Humanoids, insectoids, reptilians, and more are included. Field notes explain movement, diet, respiration, and reproduction habits. The book also features a pull-out chart showing comparative sizes, and a section devoted to Barlowe's own sketchbook of works in progress." - goodreads.com

This is a great book if you're interested in the physiology and background of characters behind some noteworthy sci-fi novels. Barlowe's designs are impressively detailed and nothing short of fantastic.

Lord Vishnu's Love Handles

"Lord Vishnu's Love Handles is the story of a man who is teetering on the edge of financial ruin and insanity until a couple of secret agents teach him what it really means to lose his mind.

Travis Anderson has a psychic gift. Or so he thinks. So far he's milked his premonitions only to acquire an upper-middle-class lifestyle -- pretty wife, big house, and a shiny Range Rover -- without having to make any real effort. But recent visions threaten his yuppie contentment. Haunted by omens of impending cancers, stillborn babies, and personal train wrecks, he is compelled to make a series of inaccurate and horrifying prophecies that humiliate him in front of his fellow country club members. The IRS gets Travis's number, too, demanding an audit of his sloppy bookkeeping.

Drowning in mounting financial problems and apparent mental illness, Travis tries booze, pills, even golf to stay afloat, but nothing works. His wife and friends are forced to stage an intervention. Travis is in danger of losing his family, his career, and ultimately, his sanity. That is, until he meets a Hindu holy man in rehab who claims to be the final incarnation of Lord Vishnu. Suddenly, the tragically shallow Travis is saddled with the responsibility of bettering mankind and saving the world
" - amazon

Wow, that basically sums it up. It's been a long time since I've read it, so some details escape me, but I remember it being pretty hilarious.

The Master and Margarita

"Mikhail Bulgakov's devastating satire of Soviet life was written during the darkest period of Stalin's regime. Combining two distinct yet interwoven parts—one set in ancient Jerusalem, one in contemporary Moscow—the novel veers from moods of wild theatricality with violent storms, vampire attacks, and a Satanic ball; to such somber scenes as the meeting of Pilate and Yeshua, and the murder of Judas in the moonlit garden of Gethsemane; to the substanceless, circus-like reality of Moscow. Its central characters, Woland (Satan) and his retinue—including the vodka-drinking black cat, Behemoth; the poet, Ivan Homeless; Pontius Pilate; and a writer known only as The Master, and his passionate companion, Margarita—exist in a world that blends fantasy and chilling realism, an artful collage of grotesqueries, dark comedy, and timeless ethical questions." - goodreads

Fun, bizarre, heartfelt and just a little crazy. There's really nothing quite like classic Eastern European literature. Capable of weaving together every aspect of human nature, be it its virtue or depravity and do so with unmatched proficiency. It's been a long time since I've read this, but it has stuck with me throughout the years. From its vast world building and cast of eccentric characters, to its humor and heart. Considering when it was written, it only makes me appreciate it even more. There's always a certain poise (you read right) that comes with these novels that I absolutely love.

WOOM

"The Lonely Motel holds many dark secrets... and Room 6 just might possess the worst of them all.

Angel knows all about pain. His mother died in this room. He's researched its history. Today he's come back to end it, no matter the cost, once and for all.

Shyla, a plus-sized prostitute, thinks the stories Angel tells her can't be true. Secrets so vile, you won't want to let them inside you.

But the Lonely Motel doesn't forget. It doesn't forgive. And it always claims its victim." -
goodreads

Came across this recently and read some reviews claiming it was highly disturbing, so naturally I thought I'd give it a go. Yeah, it's pretty messed up and I definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone with a weak stomach. However, it really suffered from a lack of proper (or any) editing and the way it's generally written feels amateurish at times. One moment I'm fully engrossed in the story and then it starts falling apart by some bad dialogue or description. Don't get me started on the amount of spelling errors. Also it was kind of predictable. Sure, I didn't know that would happen, but I wasn't far off, either. But even with all its flaws I'd say it's not a bad read, just could've been so much better.