Bumblebee's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Nice to see you're back Bee. I imagine I've not seen you around much the last few months. I hope you start up with your reviews again.

I read you and Jay Dee and I feel out of debth. Have to brush up on my vocabulary.
Thanks for the mention.

An Auto-Bot that reviews movies....
Very good reviews. Ever considered doing it for a living or at least part time. Keep up the good work. I will bookmark this thread for sure.
Thanks very much Best. I really appreciate the feedback and the compliments.
As much as I'd love to review films for a living, I don't think I'm anywhere near the prestige of some of our critics out there. Haha. Nonetheless, getting paid for doing this? It'd be great. Thanks once again, mate.

Originally Posted by JayDee
Nice to see you're back Bee. I imagine I've not seen you around much the last few months. I hope you start up with your reviews again.
Thanks Jay. It's great to be back and reviewing and seeing that you've kept up your work reviewing. Some really awesome stuff you've done recently and will definitely need to have a catch-me-up session with your reviews! Busy times at the moment so I'm doing my best to get back into the swing of things on the beloved MoFo. Thanks for coming back in my friend.

Some really awesome stuff you've done recently and will definitely need to have a catch-me-up session with your reviews!
Thank you very much. Very kind.

MACHINE GUN PREACHER
(2011)

Machine Gun Preacher is by no means a regular, straight-out-of-Hollywood action film. This is a film that has heart. The movie itself sounds like something that you would title a brutal, immensely fast-paced and almost completely absent of a plot short-film; but while Machine Gun Preacher is brutal and has moments of fast paced action sequences, it by no means is absent of a powerful, inspirational and captivating drive which is its story.

The film is based off of the real life events of Sam Childers, an ex-drug dealing biker. While taking audiences through the shadowy, dark past of Childers, it's not before long that the harsh biker finds God through his wife, Lynn and daughter, Paige. In his embracing of the church, Childers is introduced to the child soldier campaign being led by Joseph Kony and sets out to make a change in a sincere, selfless attempt to uphold the livelihood of countless lives in dangers in Sudan and Uganda.

Director Marc Foster is at the helm for this film and he does an exquisite job. With the immense talent he has working on the film, it's undeniable that the objective to make this as honest, pure and realistic film was made somewhat more simple - but the fact that the locations, scenes and sheer horror that is occurring as a result of Kony's heartless attacks come across more documentary-like than they do as if they were film. This film is in your face. It's violent, gory and isn't afraid to challenge your beliefs, views and opinions and furthermore your knowledge on what's really occurring around the world. Foster smashes his message home with this film. He grasp audiences from the get-go and immerses them in a world that they would never want to be in, but regardless, need to and have to learn about so that they can make a difference. While Foster inevitable has created a film to entertain, his primary goal with this was to educate. To offer a look into the change that a man as bloodied and damned as Childers could make to himself, and on a greater scale, to thousands of children and families in Sudan.

The opening scene of this film is what takes you. Foster has invested it in the very opening of his film, just after, and during the credits so that even before we're truly introduced to the storyline or offered an understanding of what is really happening in Sudan, Uganda and countless other places, we can see well enough that nothing is going well and the intervention of people around the globe is required for anything to get better. With confronting images and painful scenarios presented to the characters - it's hard to suppress emotions even when this film has only just been presented to you. If anything, this is the most powerful way Foster directs. The way this film is put together is sublime and everything comes seemingly together. Undeniably a story of overcoming, selflessness and faith; not only in God, but in ones self and the strength of others.

Excellent performances by Gerard Butler as Sam Childers. There are times were Butler immerses himself so much in Sam that you forget that Butler's an actor. For every second he's on the screen, for every line of dialogue he delivers and for every moment of sincere emotion that he shares - it's near to impossible to say "that's Gerard Butler playing the part well." but instead, Gerard Butler is Sam Childers. Really, Butler proves his critics wrong in this film. If you've ever doubted his acting ability, he'll give you a certain run for your money here. Supporting cast like Michelle Monaghan, Kathy Baker and Michael Shannon make the experience all the more believable and their encompassing of their characters is worth praise as well. All round, the cast was amazing and they all pulled their own weight, plus investing a little more and making the story and feel of this film even more compelling, intriguing and heart wrenching.

This is a film that will educate you. If the KONY 2012 campaign launched to raise awareness for what's going on in regards to the child soldier disaster occurring in Uganda caught your interest and concern this film will simply make you feel even more inclined to offer your assistance to the poor children and the families being effected by this. A powerful film with some of the most graphic scenes you'll come across, The Machine Gun Preacher offers all the things we never want to believe happen, but things which sadly do while still showing us how much can change as a result of one mans actions.

A film definitely worth watching.

Really good review of Machine Gun Preacher. Going by the title and Butler's involvement I pretty much ignored it, assuming it was just a branless action flick. By the time I saw some of the reviews which made it sound quite interesting I think it had already disappeared from the cinema. Would like to catch it sometime though. And your review has just strengthened that.

Also caught up on some of your earlier reviews which somehow I had missed. Great stuff.

NATURAL BORN KILLERS
(1994)

Natural Born Killers follows the story of two victims of traumatized childhoods who become lovers and thereafter set off on a spree of psychopathic serial murderers which are irresponsibly glorified by the mass media. Just as its title states, Natural Born Killers at its soul is a violent film shaped around the lives of none other than people who believe that their sole purpose in life was to kill. They were born for it. They crave it. The breathe it, live it, love it. While the story of this film is disjointed and thoroughly unpleasant to watch at times, it's the haunting themes and hypnotic message that it's addressing that really drives Natural Born Killers. There is no accident by the cut to black-and-white shots, the cartoonist animations that appear unexpectedly and the demon-like worlds that appear between clips. Natural Born Killers is in your face; exactly how it was meant to be.

Directed by Oliver Stone, it's hard to say that this film was mislead. While it was adapted somewhat from the original story that Quentin Tarantino had put together and offered Stone's way, the interpretation and amending features made seemed appropriate. Stone addresses some of the issues that, in the 90's might have seemed as if they were in their adolescence, but now, are in their very prime. The way that our media glorifies violence and offers us interviews and tales that essentially bring us to look at the merciless acts around the world in an 'entertaining' light. Stone is constantly throwing this message at us. Asking us "why are we watching as these things happen?" and "why do our lives find themselves on hold to view the things the media bring to us?"
When watching Natural Born Killers, many people see it as a horrifically violent film (which undoubtedly, it is) with no real purpose. Stone, however, did have a purpose here. My using some obscure techniques to shape scenes and push his message, it is clear that the distortion of violence that the media use is constantly appearing and through very distinct ways.

It's frightening how accurately Woody Harrelson plays Mickey Knox as a cynical, cold-blooded and ruthless killer. The performance itself basically makes you forget that Harrelson is simply an actor. The way he has immersed himself in the role is stomach churning but a intrigue to watch. His unpredictable nature and warped sense of reality is scary to perceive. Juliette Lewis does much the same with her take on Mallory Knox. The unpredictable and violent nature is horrendous to see. More than that though, she seems almost 'dead' every time she's on screen by the emotionless nature she encompasses. Malory is perhaps more so unpredictable than Mickey, solely because of the blankness Lewis distills throughout. Robert Downey Jr. captures Wayne Gale perfectly, and essentially, appears as though he represents all the reporters out there. All the critics, writers and those who fall into the very trap of the media's glorification of violence. He represents those who essentially look at this film, see the themes and become offended. He, as another review I read stated, "are the people the creators were laughing at when they made [Natural Born Killers]."
With great performances from Tom Sizemore & Tommy Lee Jones, the cast is a delight to see work their magic on screen - even while an eerie darkness is dispersed more and more as the film goes on, setting a mood of uneasiness and discomfort.

There's something chilling about a film like Natural Born Killers. The very idea of the film and the obscure construction of its story (originally written by Quentin Tarantino). At the very center of this film, it's a direct attack on the major population. It's a film that looks us in the eye and asks us "who is really crazy? Them, or you for watching on and essentially glorifying the violence we've shown you."

I'm not going to give this one a rating just yet. I really feel it needs a few watches to really leave its mark, and for that reason, I'll simply say - it's a film that is going to take a step out from the rest and leave you questioning just what the hell happened.

Natural Born Killers is one on my list to be reviewed.

Bit of an odd film but makes its mark because of this.
Defo up there with the weirdest surreal films of past.
Totally agree with your review on containing a lot of satirical stuff about society's outlook on reality TV and violence on the media, I think that makes it stand out from the crowd even more though.

Nice review

Look forward to reading up on your review, Rodent. Completely agree on the oddity of the film and that actually being one of its most solid and captivating features. Something about that is just really endearing.
Thanks for the kind words and hope to see you commenting back here again soon!

NBK is IMHO a masterpiece. I love the nightmarish style and all of the performances are knock-outs. It's essentially both a fiendish satire & grim warning of a hyper-sensationalist media run amok caught in a self-fulfilling twisted Ouroboros-like relationship with the dark side of human nature, feeding upon each other and escalating into total systemic lunacy, It's just as relevant today as it was upon release.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

GET THE GRINGO (2012)

Let's face it. Mel Gibson's been in the media for all the wrong reasons lately. He hasn't exactly been someone that movie-goers have been eagerly waiting to make a film, and if they have been, they haven't been expecting anything to top some of his earlier works. He masterfully directed and acted in Braveheart and he starred in a dark, mysterious reinterpretation/remake of Edge of Darkness whilst also doing some brilliant directing in movies like Apocalypto and Passion of the Christ along the way. But still, there has been this ongoing idea that Gibson had lost his on screen presence and appeal. Well, let's just say - this is the perfect movie to be the vehicle in turning a new leaf over for a talented performer.

There's something hauntingly real about Get The Gringo. The way the film is shot and the realism of the environments and the way the film is shot just adds a sense of intrigue and authenticity that some movies fall short of having nowadays. Strictly speaking though, most Gibson projects do have a real-to-life feel, or, at least try to. This is one of the handful that seem to capture that realism perfectly whilst including some satirical moments and driving character development along the way.

The plot for this film sounds simple enough. A career criminal is captured my Mexican authorities and is placed in a out of this world tough prison. When being inducted, life isn't anywhere near as easy as the driver (Mel Gibson) had wished for. So, with little to no options, upon meeting a local nine-year old boy living with his mother who is serving time in the prison, the driver learns how to survive in a world completely new.

The setting of the film puts us in the confounds of a prison. The audience is boxed in with the characters there for a majority of the film, but the prison is so large and so full of corruption and trade that it almost feels like a dystopia; a world destroyed, trying to build itself back with an almost apocalyptic feel. Whilst I wholeheartedly knew this wasn't the case, I couldn't help but feel there was a deliberateness to the setting of the film itself. In fact, that very feature was what made this film endearing and interesting to watch; setting it aside from many other films of similar prison-bound orientation.

Director Adrian Grunberg manages to hold this movie together quite well. While it does have some pacing problems in the middle chunk of the film, most of the interactions that occur seem necessary to make sense of characters motives, histories and goals. While the pacing isn't an essential problem, the story itself seemed to be lacking a little. There need to be more distinct explanations about what was going on with certain things; especially the money that Gibson's character is so drawn too. It might've been me not paying enough attention as a result of just coming from work, but, portions of the film still seemed a little under explained. Nonetheless, the main story itself is carried out with precision and characters handled well by the director. The filming locations and camera angles make for an intriguing watch and the film doesn't try to cover up it's violence; showing it from afar, in slow motions and distinctly to make sure audiences can see the brutal nature of the gun fights. Well executed by Grunberg.

Gibson gives a thoroughly refreshing performance showing that he hasn't lost his touch. Considering that he wrote and produced the film himself, whilst also starring in it deserve recognition. While there are countless actors and actresses who performed their roles with great skill, Kevin Hernandez who plays the role of "The Kid", the nine-year old boy who ultimately educates The Driver on life in the prison displays unbelievable talent. Considering that he's at such a young age while still being able to evoke such emotion onto the audience and display realistic heartache and anger as well as fearlessness and bravery - it's hard to see how far this young man could go if he's spotted by the right casting agents. He's truly one to look out for and hopefully, this will allow him to break into some other films.

I've got not doubt that this film is going to fly over a lot of heads, but it's certainly worth a watch. I was accompanied by someone who disliked Gibson with immense passion, but even he managed to enjoy the film. With it's satirical humor and fun-poking here and there with some beautiful moments of slapstick comedy, Gibson is back in the zone. Despite his age, it's still safe to say that watching Mel Gibson kick some serious ass hasn't gotten old. The guy just looks good doing it.

Nice r3eview Bumblebee, might give this one a watch...

In Blighty though it's caled How I Spent My Summer Vacation.
Must be the metric system.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I saw mixed reviews for "Machine Gun Preacher" but I am aware of the true story behind it.

After your high rating I will definately give it a watch at some point.

Thanks for the rep guys and the comments!
It's certainly worth a watch, Rodent.

I agree completely with you on that one afficionado.

Gandalf, I'd highly recommend it. It was thoroughly enjoyable and had a lot of heart behind it. When you do, I'd love to hear what you thought about it.

Thanks again guys.