TokeZa's Top 100 Movies through Space and Time

→ in
Tools    

Lord High Filmquisitor
I would definitely classify it as a science fiction action film!
Really, I've always thought of The Terminator as a sci-fi horror movie. It has more in common with a slasher film than it does an action film: heavy use of high contrast lighting / darkness, consistently fearful tone, even the convention of the Final Girl. Sarah Conner is not so much fighting off the Terminator as she is trying to survive it.

Excellent movie, though. It's easily one of my favorites.

Really, I've always thought of The Terminator as a sci-fi horror movie. It has more in common with a slasher film than it does an action film: heavy use of high contrast lighting / darkness, consistently fearful tone, even the convention of the Final Girl. Sarah Conner is not so much fighting off the Terminator as she is trying to survive it.

Excellent movie, though. It's easily one of my favorites.
While it might have some traits in common with horror movies i really have a hard time seeing it as an horror.

So yeah i really think its an action film...

I like The Terminator, well I liked it a lot when I was younger, but I haven't seen it in a while actually. I have Amour ready to watch, as well as Caché, I have been meaning to watch Haneke for ages, might check out the latter tonight.

I like The Terminator, well I liked it a lot when I was younger, but I haven't seen it in a while actually. I have Amour ready to watch, as well as Caché, I have been meaning to watch Haneke for ages, might check out the latter tonight.
I think that Caché is his most interesting film. It was that movie that made me venture into arthouse films. Its a movie that really improves by repeated viewings, but can be a bit difficult on the first viewing. It has a really complex narrative. I hope you enjoy!

Another movie by Haneke that really made an impression on me was The Seventh Continent. It was the second movie i saw by him.

Funny Games is probably his most well known movie while its interesting, i dont think its on par with the others.

When think of Haneke i always think of a mad Post-Punkish type of guy, but in reality he looks like a sweet old man.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I have Amour ready to watch, as well as Caché.
I'd say those are Haneke's two best. Now if you want difficult or challenging...

I'd say those are Haneke's two best. Now if you want difficult or challenging...
I remember seeing you gave Amour a positive rating in the Movie Tab when you saw it this year, and I know you're down the middle with a few of his works, but I think I'll like them. I'll start with the two most famous/acclaimed and work my way from there I guess

I think that Caché is his most interesting film. It was that movie that made me venture into arthouse films. Its a movie that really improves by repeated viewings, but can be a bit difficult on the first viewing. It has a really complex narrative. I hope you enjoy!

Another movie by Haneke that really made an impression on me was The Seventh Continent. It was the second movie i saw by him.
Yeah, a lot of people on here seem to regard it as one of the most interesting modern thrillers, and I know it did well in the last S&S poll too, I think it's definitely something I would enjoy. And I have not heard much about The Seventh Continent, I will add it to my watchlist.

79. Total Recall (1990) by Paul Verhoeven

My biggest guilty pleasure and a movie i can watch over and over again. Written by Dan O'Bannon and Ronald Shusett who also wrote one of my favorites movies namely Alien. It works great as sci-fi action flick, which also incorporates satire. Paul Verhoeven's Robocop, Starship Troopers and Turkish Delight also deserves a mention, but they did not make the cut.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Not seen a great deal of your list so far but you've had a couple of gems of late with Terminator and Total Recall.

Love Chungking Express - my second favourite Wong. The Conversation is very good. Re-watched The Terminator the other day and it was entertaining enough but had aged really badly. Still it was ok. Haven't watched Total Recall for years but have positive memories of it.

I would definitely classify it as a science fiction action film!

Why would you just define it as a thriller? not enough action?
It's not me, that's what it was. I honestly can't remember anyone referring to The Terminator as an action movie until a few years after T2. It's as if it became an action film by association. In ye olde days, when people rented videotapes from actual, physical shops, I can't remember it ever being in any section other than Thriller or Sci-Fi.

Because of its slasher conventions, as Arcanis highlighted in his post, I'd think of it as a horror film long before I got to action.

There again, these were the days when The Silence Of The Lambs was a psychological thriller, Aliens was an action/war film and someone would've laughed in your face if you'd described Se7en as a horror film. I'm just old skool. Correct. But old skool.

Lord High Filmquisitor
There again, these were the days when The Silence Of The Lambs was a psychological thriller
I read an article a while back describing The Silence of the Lamb's genre as a sort of generational schism, where older viewers described it as horror and younger viewers described it as a thriller. It basically made the argument that genre is more context than anything.