The Films of Darren Aronofsky

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Thanks for the headsup, Yods. No nope not happenin.

Thanks for the headsup, Yods. No nope not happenin.
I have to say Dani that because of your TV viewing habits you have me infinitely curious about how you decide what movies you won't watch because of content.

I have to say Dani that because of your TV viewing habits you have me infinitely curious about how you decide what movies you won't watch because of content.
Too real for me, sean. My tv and movie watching is mostly for escapism.

This might just do nobody any good.
The Fountain is not depressing.

It's uplifting, to say the least.

Yoda must be a Tommy and not an Izzy.

The Fountain is not depressing.

It's uplifting, to say the least.

Yoda must be a Tommy and not an Izzy.
Soundtrack should clue you in.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
@Dani8
The Fountain is romantically depressing. The whole undercurrent there is ambition, love, and missed love. Making mistakes through life and would-be reincarnation in the pursuit of idealistic love but not recognizing it until it too late type of stuff. I make it much too small to give it justice. Hm. Depressing may not be the word for it though. It's more just intensely emotional, if the abstract time leaps don't pull you out.

For me, it is one of my top 10 films of ALL time. It is visually stunning. The score is gorgeous. I can listen to it alone and still be moved to tears. Not from sadness, but beauty. The movie is simply an experience that if you have the mind for it and can overlook it's few faults, I highly recommend. Just know that it can try to be a bit too heady. It's borderline for me, but can be off-putting for others.

WATCH IT PLEASE NOW I WILL BUY THE STREAM FOR YOU SOMEWHERE JUST SO YOU SEE IT!!!!

WATCH IT PLEASE NOW I WILL BUY THE STREAM FOR YOU SOMEWHERE JUST SO YOU SEE IT!!!!

Thanks, my friend, but I'll take a rain check. Will shout you a ticket to see Mother, though.

As with most high concept, The Fountain left my pea brain quickly after seeing it. High concept and surrealism, forget about it. I am sure I had to chase my viewing with a Woody Allen film.

Someone described mother! as being The Fountain's negative image and that got me really fascinated by it.

I kind of like that he's going back to Pi or Requiem like territory.

I AM SO

EXCITED

FOR MOTHER!

Black Swan is my fave Aronofsky. Mother! might change that fact.

I AM SO

EXCITED

FOR MOTHER!

Black Swan is my fave Aronofsky. Mother! might change that fact.
'm hearin ya.

Different strokes for different folks. He also said it was uplifting. Just not for me.

Are you crazy people really disputing the idea that The Fountain is sad?

Reasonable to think it's not just sad, or that it's more uplifting than sad, etc. But c'mon. Some of those scenes are heart-wrenching. Don't make me describe them.

Reasonable to think it's not just sad, or that it's more uplifting than sad, etc. But c'mon. Some of those scenes are heart-wrenching. Don't make me describe them.
Yes they are obviously crazy mofos. And please dont describe them or I;m blocking your green butt. I will find a way.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again

I ball up crying every time I watch it. For me it's not that it is sad. It is---it is a terribly romantic tragedy, full of loss and heartache---but the story and character development transcends the pain. I mean, this is The Fountain, moving beyond both time and space! Sadness is my personal feeling in empathy towards the character; however, that character becomes more than a single selfish emotional medium at a point along that character's development, taking three lifetimes to finally reach such awareness. At that point, my perception of that character's sadness is but a grain of sand on the beach compared to what becomes. And that transition for both the character and for myself as an empathic observer is exhilarating!

I cannot leave this movie sad. I am more in awe. And as the movie states, death is the road to awe. OMG how beautiful a summary!!!

Dani8 here is a portion of the score. Just perfect. IMHO. You can maybe get an idea of the highs and lows and pure emotional intensity this film offers by this track alone. UGH I have to watch this now, tonight. Twice. =\