How Do You Decide What Movie To Watch Next?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I have thousands of movies on my IMDB watch-list when I want to watch a movie and can't decide. Sometimes it's what I might have saved on my DVR. I automatically record my favorite directors and actors, and most of it is from TCM, and many times I'll look ahead and record anything that looks good. But for the thousands of movies, I tend to like something fresh, a recommendation I just heard, rather than movies I've had saved for years.

However, the best movies I see are usually as a result of someone on these boards who have passion for a certain movie, especially if I've seen good movies by the person who recommends it. And then if I see something good, I'll try to find that director's work chronologically

The last great movie I saw was "Blind" (2014), but I'm not sure how I found this unique movie. Just a minute ago, I clicked on the movie on the SEARCH bar, and noticed "Similar Movies" and saw another movie from Norway, entitled, "Thelma", which is perfect, because (along with music) I've been interested in movies centered around a woman. I posted a thread (here and elsewhere) and going through each and every suggestion, and if it looked good, I'd add it to my watch-list, and then one movie stuck out entitled "Sugarbaby" (1985) and I saw it immediately and enjoyed it, which led me to start another thread, and adding even more movies to the watch-list. After seeing a move entitled, "Thelma", I figure it must be completely centered around her, and another fantasy from Norway could be good, and possibly even better. I don't like to read more than a line, and prefer a surprise.

Generally, I just look up a movie list that appeals to me and use a random number generator to determine which film from it to watch.

It's a combination of factors. Sometimes I watch a movie because the story interests me or I'm a fan of the director or actors. I often watch films because they have really good reviews and have won awards or are being predicted to win awards. My mood will often influence what I watch. Sometime I'm in the mood for something light and silly, other times I want something more substantial.

Duplicate Account (locked)
Generally just the images and the description, if it's something that makes me a little excited, or if it's related to something i know/think is gonna be good, then i can't resist. Also, sometimes it is categorical. I just watched a "Menace II Society" because i was interested in finding gangsta movies, the mafia seems to be the main focus of those types of movies, i was curious about black gangster films and ended up just now pulling up menace from my hard drive...Boyz n The Hood is prolly the best i've seen from that genre so far.

I typically tend to gravitate towards films that are more dramatic/serious/violent in nature, even though i'm practically open to anything.

I usually base it on what mood I'm in and what kind of feeling I'm up for at the moment.

Depressing drama and slow paced, introspected stuff is usually off putting to me, and so I tend to go for those that I fear will deliver that the rare times that I feel I wouldn't mind such things, because otherwise I would never see them and might miss out on something good. Lots and lots of movies seem to fall into this category unfortunately.

Also, if I have a movie in my list that I suspect is a high quality, deep thriller I tend to save it for the longest time as I want to be in the right mood to get the absolute most out of it.

Nowadays I just find the will to go for stuff that clicks with my interests, films about someone else's reality are often difficult to ignore for a long time, like, Never Rarely Sometimes Always, or, films about a certain time/place of my interest, like, State Funeral or O Movimento das Coisas, or it can be films that don't seem to have anything that interests me much, but the trailer showed something I had never seen before that caught my attention, like First Cow I wasn't intending to watch and became my favorite film of that year, or anything made by Robert Eggers. Also films that I believe I'll have much in common, those I often watch right away, like Pig, everyone needs motivation sometimes. My favorite films would be the ones that emanate pure tranquility, the cheapest is through sensation, and that can be serener soundtrack with a plain landscape, to find those I see the trailer, but the greatest are often a movement that many can't see, it's often linked to certain directors, I find Tarkovsky to be one of those directors, he captures the movement of the entire phenomenon like no one else ever did, and the poetry he adds, poetry, another thing I value very much in a film, a bad film with good poetry is a good film for me. The ones I despise is art for the sake of art, so, many French directors will never catch me.

The last great movie I saw was "Blind" (2014), but I'm not sure how I found this unique movie.
I couldn’t even begin to explain how I decide which movie to watch (don’t even know myself), but I watched & enjoyed Blind due to your review.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I couldn’t even begin to explain how I decide which movie to watch (don’t even know myself), but I watched & enjoyed Blind due to your review.

I still remember two very good movies you reviewed, and I watched immediately

-The Forest For The Trees
-Paradise: Love

I still remember two very good movies you reviewed, and I watched immediately

-The Forest For The Trees
-Paradise: Love
Yes, two very good ones.

Used to be a mixture of what appeals to me and what mood I was in, but since 2017, I've been setting up monthly themes and goals on what to watch and that has helped a bit in the decision-making, plus it has forced me to watch things I wouldn't watch otherwise.

randomly searching imdb list when a topic pops in my mind for something i havnt seen, is good and available for free is pretty much criteria right now theres too many good forgotten films for free out there

i hardly have an urge to watch a genre out of my collection more just to watch a specific film.

i read alot about movies too and i find all kinds that way and try to watch them asap

a bit random, also the posts on here

I generally browse what is available and stop when something catches my interest.

Sometimes I burn incense and cast chicken bones on a bit of inked animal hide and microdose until I see a pattern. But I only do this 0% of the time.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I usually check the TV listings for upcoming movies every week, and DVR whatever sounds good.

Sometimes I choose movies based on what's nominated in a current HoF or what's recommended for an upcoming countdown.

And I have a bunch of DVDs that I haven't watched yet, so I can always choose a movie off the shelf if there's nothing else to watch.

If I'm not researching a specific movie topic, I usually just watch whatever I'm in the mood for that day (although newer films that people are currently talking about, or rewatches of old favorites tend to take priority a bit).

And I have a bunch of DVDs that I haven't watched yet, so I can always choose a movie off the shelf if there's nothing else to watch.
Exact same for me. I have all my movies written in a dvd book (how quaint, I know) & I am also watching movies I own in alphabetical order. Right now I am at “J”. This is good for me to do as I have so many DVDs.

I'm almost done watching all of John Wayne's films. Before that I watched all the films of Susan Hayward and Gloria Grahame. It was a great way to see movies I'd never seen or even heard of before.

For January, I'm thinking of choosing a genre or a star and watching all their films. I just got decide what or who's movies to watch next?

I'm almost done watching all of John Wayne's films. Before that I watched all the films of Susan Hayward and Gloria Grahame. It was a great way to see movies I'd never seen or even heard of before.

For January, I'm thinking of choosing a genre or a star and watching all their films. I just got decide what or who's movies to watch next?
Nothing on earth would make me watch a John Wayne movie.