Star Wars Episode 7: Storyline?

Tools    

I would like to see the new series take the lead of SWTOR and focus on the conflict between the Jedi and the Sith thousands of years before Episode 1. Make this series "dark" and bring people what they want... lots of light sabre killing!

Why do people always want to turn their childhood favorite thing into dark and violent messes (Batman, Transformers, now Spider-Man, Superman and Star Wars)? Star Wars is and always was intended as children's/family entertainment. It originally came out during a time when a lot of (non-animated) films were pretty much downers - dark and violent, tragedies or disaster movies. Part of the reason it performed so well was that it brought back the "heroic adventure" idea with "white hat" heroes and "black hat" villains. It was a fun movie with a hopeful message that could appeal to kids and adults alike. The franchise still holds to this ideal.

So many of us original fans lament the prequels as not being the films they wanted, but truly, they were not made for us. They were made for our children. As much as it irks me, my kids (who have seen all 6 multiple times) would rather watch Anakin's story than Luke's. Those three films were meant to appeal to them, and they succeeded. The next three, while they will build off of the first six, will be intended for a different audience of children as well. Star Wars, as much as I love it, is really for kids. It took me many, many years to realize that, but now that I have I can enjoy it on even more levels than I did before, and I look forward to seeing what Disney/Lucas have to come up with.

Oh yeah, the prequels were made for children, that's what all that galactic senate talk was about. And that ending where Anakin is burned alive (Spoiler!) is great way to introduce kids to what can happen if you be bad.

"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I know it'd probably be too much of a time skip, but I was kind of hoping Episode VII would be like Legacy of the Force where it's about Leia and Han's kids and stuff, but I'm looking forward to it no matter what the storyline is.

The Lord of the Rings