The Lone Ranger, gets stranger

Tools    

I'm calling it. This movie is going to be worse for the legacy of the Lone Ranger than The Legend of the Lone Ranger was. I hope they end up suprising me, but this latest quote from Verbinski is pretty much the nail in the coffin for me.

http://www.slashfilm.com/gore-verbin...r-don-quixote/

Originally Posted by Gore Verbinski via /Film
The only version of ‘The Lone Ranger’ I’m interested in doing is ‘Don Quixote’ told from Sancho Panza’s point of view… And hence I was honest early on with Johnny that Tonto is the part. We’re not going to do it [straight], everyone knows that story. I don’t want to tell that story.
No. Not everyone knows that story. There are about two generations out there that have no idea who the Lone Ranger is. Why not give them the straight story?

Semper Fooey
It sounds awful, but reading it carefully they are really planning to make Tonto like Jack Sparrow. Calling him an unreliable narrator sounds like another Jack, Dustin Hoffman in Little Big Man, but these filmmakers probably never even heard of that film.

Semper Fooey
They don't even have a script yet so the movie may never get made and I would not be at all surprised if the director bails out and the next director has a different vision.

Semper Fooey
Just read that. Johnny Depp is full of crap. Lone Ranger and Tonto were friends, he didn't boss him around, there was no ugliness there. As sidekicks go, a given in kid B westerns, Tonto was the most positive of the bunch, he wasn't comedy relief like practically all of them and except Pancho they were all white.

Thank you. That's what I've been saying. Were native americans treated badly in old westerns? Yes. But not in The Lone Ranger. Johnny Depp should go back and watch the two Clayton Moore/Jay Silverheels features to see the way the Lone Ranger handled native american relations. In my opinion, the Lone Ranger was way ahead of its time in that regard.

Semper Fooey
Tonto called the Ranger Kemosabe, which means faithful friend, he didn't call him boss.

Lone Ranger casting is a greatly missed opportunity. George Clooney would have been awesome and it would have been like the Errol Flynn days of Hollywood. Now Tonto is definitely going to lead the movie probably have political undertones like Avatar and, while it will be a fun movie compared to everything else being released these days, it's a missed opportunity.

Semper Fooey
There was one other Indian sidekick in B westerns, Little Beaver, played by Robert Blake mostly. I never saw any of those, too far back even for me.

According to several sources, including Variety, Tom Wikinson will likely be joining the cast as an oil tycoon with a "prominent role."

Coincidentally - or not - Wikinson recently portrayed the father of the Green Hornet in that legacy-destroying film. Maybe he can get cast in a Sgt. Preston/Challenge of the Yukon film next and participate in destroying all of the great Trendle/Striker characters (they can make the dog the brains of the outfit and Sgt. Preston a buffoon).

After Cowboys & Aliens flopped, Disney put a hold on The Lone Ranger over the $250 million price tag for the script involving spirits and werewolves. Reportedly, Bruckheimer and Verbinski have now cut out all the supernatural elements and each reduced their salaries by $10 million. Recent reports claim this is still not enough for Disney and they have a week to meet Disney's budget concerns or have the project scrapped altogether.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
That is so sad, if I hear about one more starving millionaire having to reduce there salaries by 10,000,000 I just don't know what I'll do. Someone should have a fundraiser for them or something, or maybe just a nice gift basket.

Semper Fooey
No loss if they cancel it. Why should the Lone Ranger cost over two hundred million? The Sherlock Holmes movie with Downey came in under a hundred mill. A western doesn't requie elaborate sets and the Lone Ranger doesn't rquire elaborate special effects unless you are adding...werewolves?????

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
This is just to much money for a movie that I am predicting will suck.
Depp's Ultimatum - No Gore, No Ranger

Thursday September 1st 2011 03:14PM

The decision over the fate of Disney's "Lone Ranger" with Johnny Depp now looks to be in the studio's court as producer Jerry Bruckheimer and director Gore Verbinski have essentially agreed to a rigid and reduced $215 million budget according to the trades.
A few weeks back the studio demanded budget reductions on the project which at the time was costing anywhere from $240-$275 million and which the Mouse House wanted to reduce to a flat $200 million. Now Verbinski and Bruckheimer have reportedly presented their new budget proposal to Chairman Rich Ross and it appears the studio may go forward with the film even though they've been having second thoughts and looked to be essentially ditching the entire project last week.
Many didn't believe the trio could get the budget down in time to make this proposal, and to do it they've made steep concessions including major upfront salary cuts and the excision of a major effects sequence. The flip side is if the movie's a success, their backend deals will likely make them more than they would have made with flat fees.
Added to this is Depp, who’s attached to play Tonto and whom Disney doesn't want to piss off. Depp really wants to make the film but won’t do it without Verbinski directing - so the studio can't hire a cheaper director in this case and risk losing Depp as an ally if they scrap the project. A decision is not expected until the week after Labor Day.
Disney is currently in the midst of trying to curb its spending on tentpoles, even though it's risky "John Carter" space fantasy feature officially costs $250 million (and other sources claim the budget is higher).