Watchmen

Tools    

In the Beginning...
Perhaps this is in reference to expectations not being met when compared to the orignial sources. The Lord of the Rings, for instance, is quite a different story from J. R. R. Tolkien to Peter Jackson as well as Tolkien to Ralph Bakshi. The stories as films may be fine, but the expectations are blown to bits.

And this is a part of the process of translation of course: something is always going to be lost in the process.
That's a great point, but I think he's just some kid who thinks he's writing a preview article. And I'm not sure he meant what you suggested anyway, since the language he used is, "these film adaptations notoriously don't do well." Even if he meant only critical or fan acclaim, all of the films Sedai cited are pretty widely celebrated in that respect.

What I find funny is that he said, "Staying true to its origins, the superheros look fresh out of a comic book with neon spandex, capes, and the whole nine," and that's pretty inaccurate. The comic costumes are, for the most part, spandex... yet anything but flashy neon. And Nite Owl is the only main character who wears a cape (with the exception of Ozymandias, but his cape is a film addition).

The Green Lantern
YES!!! I can not wait for it to come out.
Back in Spring of 2001 an English prof. at Texas A&M University had "The Watchmen" as the class text book.
Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might.
Beware My Power...Green Lantern's Light"

--Green Lantern Oath--

"The Green Lantern Corps has battled against the forces of evil and chaos for a millennium. To serve is the ultimate honor."

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
Watchmen WILL be awesome.
Duh. The trailer alone is one of the coolest things ever.

And I'm not sure he meant what you suggested anyway, since the language he used is, "these film adaptations notoriously don't do well." Even if he meant only critical or fan acclaim, all of the films Sedai cited are pretty widely celebrated in that respect.
Well, the writer left "film adaptations" pretty much open to interpret and did not name any of the films referred to later. It was general--thus, my comments. It is all a part of the guessing game of "what did he mean."
What I find funny is that he said, "Staying true to its origins, the superheros look fresh out of a comic book with neon spandex, capes, and the whole nine," and that's pretty inaccurate. The comic costumes are, for the most part, spandex... yet anything but flashy neon. And Nite Owl is the only main character who wears a cape (with the exception of Ozymandias, but his cape is a film addition).
At a quick glance, the colors of Watchmen do seem pretty bright at times, so I could see where this comes from. That could be an impression of memory, not a detailed look at the book. I do not know what the writer meant, so maybe he can that that here.

And there are other capes worn, which could have been the reason for that mention in the post.

In the Beginning...
Well, the writer left "film adaptations" pretty much open to interpret and did not name any of the films referred to later. It was general--thus, my comments. It is all a part of the guessing game of "what did he mean."
Understood.

Originally Posted by sharkfan
At a quick glance, the colors of Watchmen do seem pretty bright at times, so I could see where this comes from. That could be an impression of memory, not a detailed look at the book. I do not know what the writer meant, so maybe he can that that here.
You're right, the colors of Watchmen do have a neon slant (I always liked the neon sign outside Molloch's apartment that blinks orange on and off.) Whether his neon comment extended to the costumes is, of course, only speculative.

Originally Posted by sharkfan
And there are other capes worn, which could have been the reason for that mention in the post.
Yeah, I guess Hooded Justice and Captain Metropolis had one, although neither are pictured in the trailer. Still, I think his comment was a little more, "Oooh, superheroes have capes!"

Whether his neon comment extended to the costumes is, of course, only speculative.
[...]
Yeah, I guess Hooded Justice and Captain Metropolis had one, although neither are pictured in the trailer. Still, I think his comment was a little more, "Oooh, superheroes have capes!"
I know what you mean--I have no way to validate any of my proposed claims. Aw, shucks...having been in too many online fisticuff matches, I think I'm just trying to be a peacekeeper where it ain't needed. Damn these non-verbal environments!

You know, I wouldn't mind seeing these colors reproduced in another film version of the text, such as in animated form. That medium would be a good place to reproduce the colors accurately. Are these colors translating onto the big screen, or are they replaced?

Speaking of which, has anyone seen the new Watchmen motion comics? I am curious about what it looks like and such. Is it a literal continuation of the comic book in animated form?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I wouldn't know, damn thing won't work in Canada.

Suspect's Reviews

So has everybody heard what they changed in the ending?

I'm not a big fan of the change and it doesn't make much sense to me.

Oh and also, here is the new poster.

So has everybody heard what they changed in the ending?

I'm not a big fan of the change and it doesn't make much sense to me.
WHAT??!?! How the hell could they change the ending?

Careful now! I've read the graphic novel, but don't want to know how it's changed. Even hearing that "it's the same idea" tells me a lot more than I'd like to know...

So wait..

WARNING: "Watchmen (graphic novel) " spoilers below
Is Ozymandias still gonna destroy Manhatten?

ADMIT EDIT: spoiler tags are preferable to notices.

Registered Creature
Looks cool. I'll probably catch it in the cinemas when it comes out.

Well, from the reports...

WARNING: "Watchmen Movie" spoilers below
Instead of it being a giant alien squid like creature, Ozymandias creates a lazer that destroys parts of the world and makes it look like Dr. Manhattan did it. Knowing it's the right thing to do, Manhattan leaves Earth and the world thinks it was him.