The Exorcist

→ in
Tools    

What is your idea of a scary movie, bub?
To be honest, nothing in a movie has really scared me. The only movie that comes to mind right now is The Strangers, and that was only because I watched it late at night alone at my house.

It's just dated, and isn't scary anymore because society has changed so much since it first came out. The idea of a devil living inside someone just isn't scary, and I'm not religious at all on top of that.

I'm sorry you feel that because I don't really like a movie that you do that it deserves some neg rep. I guess I know now in the future that when you say something bad about a movie I like to give you some neg rep.

The scares and creepiness of The Exorcist are nothing compared to the film's portrayal of good versus evil.
But the portrayal of good versus evil isn't scary. All I said was that it isn't a scary a movie. I don't think it's as great as everyone makes it out to be, but it's not really a bad movie. It just doesn't do much for me.

I played with an Ouija board several times as a kid and I'm fine.
I played with it once.
I remember asking the "spirit-demon" that we managed to conjure up
"How do you spell 'Ouija'?"
It responded with the letters
W T F.

Since this was before the internet, I didn't know that meant & just concluded that demons were bad spellers.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
I'm sorry you feel that because I don't really like a movie that you do that it deserves some neg rep. I guess I know now in the future that when you say something bad about a movie I like to give you some neg rep.
don't feel bad, man; my own boyfriend just dinged me in this very thread. my boyfriend. the one i share my bed with.

i thought he loved me.

I played with it once.
I remember asking the "spirit-demon" that we managed to conjure up
"How do you spell 'Ouija'?"
It responded with the letters
W T F.

Since this was before the internet, I didn't know that meant & just concluded that demons were bad spellers.
Wow. A time traveling ghost.

To be honest, nothing in a movie has really scared me. The only movie that comes to mind right now is The Strangers, and that was only because I watched it late at night alone at my house.

It's just dated, and isn't scary anymore because society has changed so much since it first came out. The idea of a devil living inside someone just isn't scary, and I'm not religious at all on top of that.

I'm not religious either but I have an imagination and the ability to suspend disbelief and enjoy a story for what it is.

I'm sorry that you were so hurt by the neg-rep. I hope someday you will be able to get over it and move on.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Yeah, I don't think you have to be religious. And I'm not sure if that would necessarily make it more or less scary. Wouldn't it be kind of freakier to encounter that if you didn't believe in anything like it, since it deals in a horror you had completely written off, rather than one you might have at least believed in on some level?

Anyway, everything you use to describe why it isn't scary could be used to describe why anything involving ghosts or supernatural isn't scary. Which is fine: some people just don't find scary movies scary. But that's more a statement about their own posture towards horror films, and not whether this one or that one is better or worse, no? If you say only one film has ever scared you, and even then your fear was probably due to circumstance, then saying you didn't find The Exorcist scary, either, isn't really a statement about The Exorcist.

His name is Frank.

Oh, him. Shoot him on sight - he's after my man. Wants him dead, even.

But the difference was stark with my friend Adam; when I saw it with him, he was absolutely terrified and bit a hole in his shirt on the drive home.
What the hell... is Adam a rabbit?

Is he related to this guy?

The Exorcist is a really good movie, but movies dealing with possession are stupid. Why would an evil demon want to possess a little girl? What is the point? Why hang around in some woman's body on her bed? ... I realize I may never know. It's not really scary because it doesn't seem to me like a good reason to experience horror (though, a lot of people seem to like possession movies.) Zombies are understandable -- getting up and walking around and looking for people to eat has got to be more fun than laying in the ground for all of eternity. Aliens are looking for a new planet or for a new species to snack on. Devils inside women's bodies don't make much rational sense -- seems like it's just a metaphorical thing, a commentary, a farce. Ghosts are somewhere inbetween -- which is, naturally, what ghosts are supposed to be, inbetween life and death.