Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

'The Settlers' (2024)

"In Chile in 1901, three horseman are paid to protect a vast estate. Accompanying a British soldier and an American mercenary is a mixed-race sniper, who realizes that his true mission is to kill the indigenous population."

Lovely landscape photography. Some fine performances. Reminded me of 'Godland' and 'Birds of Passage' at some points as the director Felipe Gálvez Haberle explores colonialism and epic journeys in days gone by.

But ultimately it has neither the brutality of those films or the fluidity. The last 25 minutes seems rather disjointed after a really atmospheric frst hour or so. It is an encouragung debut feature though and has some fine moments.

6.9/10

The Bracelet of Bordeaux (2007) The best thing about this film is the two cute girls in the lead roles. I found them endearing, in spite of the film's many weaknesses. The writing is really bad and the performances of the adult actors are all too over the top and completely ineffective. The film isn't very funny or entertaining and feels longer than it is. It isn't well made and feels like it was thrown together by amateurs with a really low budget. Despite the pretty young leading ladies best efforts, this film doesn't work.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Unbreakable (2000)

Yet another one from Yoda's favorites.

WARNING: "Unbreakable" spoilers below
It was at about the 24-minute mark when I figured out that Mr. Glass read his first comic book and imagined Bruce Willis because he wants a superhero who never breaks, which would be his literal juxtaposition.

I think this interpretation isn't necessarily broken by the rest of the film. He imagines Bruce and then himself as the villain.

At the very least, this interpretation surely answers why so much of this film was so stupid.

A kid trying to shoot his own dad to prove a point? This is wrong! But he was RIGHT AFTER ALL? This teaches kids to shoot their dads if they think they're right! How come no Christian site condemned this movie on these grounds alone?!

But yep. This is Child Logic 101.

Didn't care about the story or characters tbh but OK.

Looks good, though, and employs some fancy shots with reflections in screens or from behind the drapes and whatnot.

All in all, this was passable. I definitely prefer it to the vast majority of DC or Marvel.

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The Professor and the Madman (2019)

Good film looing at the endeavours of James Murray (played well by Mel Gibson, brushing off the old Brave heart accent) and incarcerated schizophrenic US Army surgeon Dr. William Chester Minor (again played well by Sean Penn) to put together a dictionary for the Oxford English Press. It's very steadily directed which allows the characters to be expressed, nice to see Jennifer Ehle in a main role too, very underrated actress. All in all one of those movies that had me researching the true story which is always a good sign.

1st Rewatch...This dazzling 2010 Best Picture nominee is a riveting docudrama revolving around internet billionaire Mark Zuckerberg and his humble beginnings where he allegedly stole the idea of Facebook from a couple of snooty Harvard college students and ended up being sued by them and his best friend, who helped him finance the company but was allegedly pushed out of the company by Zuckerberg. This film is anchored by Aaron Sorkin's Oscar-winning screenplay that is unapologetic in its utilization of the techno-babble utilized to explain what Zuckerberg did as well as its completely unflattering portrayal of Zuckerberg himself. The meticulous direction by David Fincher ( Se7en; Fight Club) serves this often ugly story perfectly. The performances are superb right down the line, headed by Jesse Steinberg, whose icy and humorless Zuckerberg earned him an Oscar nomination, Andrew Garfield as his wronged best friend Eduardo Saverin, and Justin Timberlake, in the best performance of his career, as the music mogul who buys his way into the company. Mention should also be made of Armie Hammer, terrific in the dual role of the twin Harvard students battling Zuckerberg. Mesmerizing entertainment from opening to closing credits.

1st Rewatch....Natalie Portman won a richly deserved Best Actress Oscar for her complex performance in a film with a rather confusing screenplay that is fighting the actress all the way. Portman plays a prima ballerina who has just won the starring role in a revival of Swan Lake, despite the director/choreographer's concerns that she will be fine as the white swan but may be unable to handle the role of the black swan. Portman must not only battle a complex relationship with the director, but one with her smothering ex-ballerina mother (Barbra Hershey), a rival dancer who seems to be after her role (Mila Kunis), and the aging ballerina she replaced (Winona Ryder). On top of all that, we observe that not only is the black swan taking over Portman's personality, but she has other mental health issues as well, including self-mutilation, that confuse the viewer to the point that we're not sure if everything we're seeing is actually happening. Portman's characters seems to be going through the same kind of issues that Michael Keaton's Roggan Thompson goes through in Birdman and the jarring shifts from reality to Portman's mental state make it difficult to stay invested in what's going on, but it's so well directed by Darren Aronofsky (Requiem for a Dream, The Whale) and so well-acted that we stay with it. Portman completely commands the screen and Hershey and Ryder both do some the best work of their respective careers and can't help but love to hate Vincent Cassel as the slimebag director. A must-see for fans of Aronofsky and Portman.

Limbo (2023).

The Beekeeper (2024).

Pretty decent action film after a stressful day - where Statham got specialized in "beekeeping" Have to say I still like some of his movies even though he had so many jobs already: a mechanic, a transporter, and so on.

'Buzzard' (2014)

I'm sure I first heard about this film on this website. It's taken me 10 years to get around to it.

This feels like a cult indie slacker comedy. I’ve no idea how popular it is but it’s pretty hilarious in places. It’s like Office Space meets Taxi Driver. Marty, a bored office temp decides to make some money by cheating the bank system he works at, but soon finds himself over his head and his paranoia gets the better of him. Director Joel Potrykus wrote the screenplay and also stars as Derek, Marty’s annoying work colleague. He steals the show, including one particular scene involving a treadmill. I laughed hard. Infact I giggled to myself through most of the film.

I have huge admiration for people like Joel Potrykus who get off their ass and pour their heart, money and soul and time into making their filmic visions onto the screen. He seems to have friends and family as his core team that all work as a unit to get their films made. I’m off to discover more Joel Potrykus films.

I forgot the opening line.

By [1], Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=74750398

Perfect Days - (2023)

It really is a beautiful world, and toilet cleaner Hirayama (Kōji Yakusho) - an excruciatingly beautiful character in my eyes - can see that, his simplicity the key to his clear sightline when it comes to those magical moments so many people miss in the hectic buzz of the modern world. Watching this guy go about his day, over and over again - every deviation from his routine a kind of adventure in itself - wasn't only Zen, it was life affirming - I felt like I was Hirayama by the end, as I'd felt pretty much the same kind of things he did to similar circumstances in my own life. A quiet little moment of visual poetry shared in a cinema with others.

8/10

By Netflix - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt28254460/, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=75146729

Sly - (2023)

A look at Sylvester Stallone through the eyes of Sylvester Stallone. I certainly came away feeling like the stupendous success of Rocky did more to harm his growth as an artist than it did to help him. Nobody gets through all of that adulation and sudden change without being seriously affected, especially after a troubled childhood - never knew Sly had those kinds of problems with his father. Worth watching - was less of a puff-piece than I thought it would be.

6/10

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=75146729

La guagua aérea - "A Flight of Hope" - (1993)

On a short flight from Puerto Rico to New York a passenger plane becomes a microcosm of Puerto Rican society. Full review here, in my watchlist thread.

6/10

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7757086

Miracle in Milan - (1951)

Vittorio De Sica mixes neorealism with pure fantasy to create a unique film that has a lot to say about the poorest of the poor and how closer they are to the simple truths of life, like what a ray of sunshine in winter really means, and how much it is worth to the living. Review here, in my watchlist thread.

8/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It really is a beautiful world, and toilet cleaner Hirayama (Kōji Yakusho) - an excruciatingly beautiful character in my eyes - can see that, his simplicity the key to his clear sightline when it comes to those magical moments so many people miss in the hectic buzz of the modern world. Watching this guy go about his day, over and over again - every deviation from his routine a kind of adventure in itself - wasn't only Zen, it was life affirming - I felt like I was Hirayama by the end, as I'd felt pretty much the same kind of things he did to similar circumstances in my own life. A quiet little moment of visual poetry shared in a cinema with others.
WARNING: "Perfect Days" spoilers below
The 'finding beauty in small things' and 'being a diligent worker in a job that exploits him' are obvious critiques of capitalism, but I'm not as interested in or critical of capitalism myself, so I thought a much better part of the film was how his alleged optimism was just a facade.

There's something dark lurking behind the superficial happiness in that character, which is aptly portrayed in the final scene, where sadness and happiness are fighting with each other, both expressed by his face interchangeably. Many more factors support this thesis.

For one, I believe he was abused by his father and therefore ran away from his family. During the meeting with his sister, she asks if he's willing to pay a visit to his father who's now in an old people's home or an institution (maybe suffering from Alzheimer's). What stuck in my mind is his sister saying that the father "isn't like he was anymore" or something like that, but she said it in a way that suggested there might've been something terrible between the protagonist and the father. Another interpretation is that the protagonist is deadbeat and simply left his family, but I like the idea that he ran away from them far more. There's also the overarching idea that he isn't accepted by them. Like he told his niece about how some worlds never meet and he will therefore be never understood and accepted by his own family.

Another potent scene is the one where he meets the ex-husband of the woman he might or might not be in love with. They play the shadow game and at one point they're checking out if two people standing one behind the other make the shadow darker: "Do shadows get darker when they overlap?". I think this might be pointing to the sameness between the protagonist and the ex-husband who suffers from cancer, possibly implying that the protagonist is suffering from an illness, too, but probably a mental one AKA depression.

There are some other self-referential and authorial threads here that talk about Wim Wenders as much as about the protagonist (Wenders might even be projecting himself through Hirayama). Hirayama reads Faulkner (with Highsmith on his shelf - both Americans but the Japanese book he buys is on anxiety...) and listens to American music (except for that one time when he listens to a Japanese (?) song - I wonder if that's meaningful). This isn't surprising as many Wenders films talk about how American culture influences us, often subconsciously. This isn't unlike a film like Rhapsody in August by Kurosawa or even the films of Ozu like Good Morning that all explore the influence of American culture on the Japanese.

I'm not saying this film cannot be seen as life-affirming. But I think there's much more to it than that.

Celda 211 - (2009)

Cell 211, for my fellow english speakers. Pretty cool prison movie, but I didn't dig the ending. My guy didn't deserve that.

Limbo (2023).

The Beekeeper (2024).

Pretty decent action film after a stressful day - where Statham got specialized in "beekeeping" Have to say I still like some of his movies even though he had so many jobs already: a mechanic, a transporter, and so on.
We're pretty much on the same page regarding The Beekeeper...a link to my review:

https://www.movieforums.com/reviews/...beekeeper.html

1st Rewatch...One of Steve Martin's best performances anchors this Capra-esque type comedy about a phony evangelist who gets stranded in a one horse town in Kansas where he sets up a revival promising all sorts of miracles to the townsfolk as long as the give him every penny they own. Things get complicated when his partner (Debra Winger) attracts the attention of the sincerely-intentioned sheriff (Liam Neesom) who wants to expose Martin's Jonas Nightingale for the phony he is. Jonah also gets a little too close to a world weary waitress (Lolita Davidovich) and her crippled son (Lukas Haas), but then Jonas' conscience enters the story as selected miracles begin to happen and Jonas doesn't want to take responsibility for them. Martin is battling a melodramatic screenplay, but with the assistance of director Richard Peerce, it's very easy to get caught up in this one.

2nd Rewatch...There is a whole lot of love on this site for this movie and, for the life of me, I can't figure out why. Bob (Bill Murray) is an actor who has arrived in Tokyo to film a series of commercials for a new brand of scotch. Bob accidently meets Charlotte (Scarlett Johansson), an aimless young woman married to an empty headed photographer (Giovanni Ribisi) who has left Charlotte by herself in Tokyo for a week. Let me say first that Murray's performance, that earned him his first and only Oscar nomination, is brilliant and worth the price of admission alone. Every scene that finds Bob trying to deal with anyone who doesn't speak English is gold...especially the early scene where he is shooting the commercial, it puts me on the floor. Johansson's Charlotte is another story...the character is aimless and underwritten and we never really learn why she is so unhappy. We keep waiting for a genuine connection to happen between the two, but IMO, this never really happens. We get several scenes of the two of them in their individual hotel rooms that offer little or nothing in terms of plot or character development and we have to wait for the final scene in the film to feel any connection between Bob and Charlotte. Director and screenwriter Sofia Coppola won an Oscar for her screenplay, which is the film's weakest element in my opinion. Other than Murray's performance, I still fail to see what's so special about this movie.

Johansson's Charlotte is another story...the character is aimless and underwritten and we never really learn why she is so unhappy.
Maybe because her boyfriend left her on her own in Tokyo for a week?

The film is about loneliness in relationships and society and the fact it's set in Tokyo with the language barrier is an allegory for not feeling able to explore or break norms. Like there is an instant conncection between the two of them but they know they'll never see each other again because of their situations. Society has ruined that chance of eternal friendships like these ones because of the pressure of conformity.

Beautiful film.

Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy

Another Ryusuke Hamaguchi gem, this 3-segment anthology is full of tightly-controlled emotions that are ready to burst to the surface at the slightest opportunity. We are continually drawn to the characters and their inner struggles, which we only fully understand slowly, as the layers are carefully revealed.

We're pretty much on the same page regarding The Beekeeper...a link to my review:

https://www.movieforums.com/reviews/...beekeeper.html
Just finished reading your review. One can never trust these cyber thieves. That's why I never click on links and I also check the expeditor on my emails. Was quite an easy film to watch. He's still in shape. Never seems to get rusty

2nd Rewatch...There is a whole lot of love on this site for this movie and, for the life of me, I can't figure out why.
I’m confused. So why re-watch it twice? BTW, I love this movie.