Who are the Most Underrated Actors...

Tools    

Neutral Milk Hotel
Has Julianne Moore ever won an oscar or been nominated? becaseu to me she is a great actress adn even her performance in The Big Lebowski was great. Also Sam Neil is a great Actor who I have never seen really recognized.
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico
Has Julianne Moore ever won an oscar or been nominated? becaseu to me she is a great actress adn even her performance in The Big Lebowski was great. Also Sam Neil is a great Actor who I have never seen really recognized.
Julianne Moore has been nominated two times for Best Actress in a Leading Role (The End of an Affair in 2000 and Far From Heaven in 2003) and two times for Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Boogie Nights in 1998 and The Hours in 2000).

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Neutral Milk Hotel
Thanks for the info I guess I can cross her off my list.

Mrs. BDT to y'all
Steve Buscemi springs to mind. The guy is one of the best supporting actors out there and i dont believe he gets much recognition. The guy's such a comic, yet takes his profession seriously. Not to mention he's been in some fantastic films including : The Big Lebowski, Reservoir Dogs, The Wedding Singer, Big Fish, Animal Factory, Fargo and Desparado to name a few. Asides from this i think there are many actors in the film industry who do not get enough recognition or any recognition at all because Hollywood is shunned by fake tanned 20-somethings who can't act for s**t, and has been for years and is likely to remain that way!

In my opinion, this is one of the greatest discussions film lovers can have. I love the idea of the underrated actor.

Below are some of my favorites. Some are truly underrated, some are simply not considered that good because of typecasting or historically poor roles, some are just older and perhaps forgotten because they are not as active or young as they once were.

1) Brad Dourif-- a truly underrated actor. Terrific intensity and perfect execution of expression. Check him out in the Deadwood series as Doc.

2) Kurt Russell-- he really is a very good actor. Excellent in Dark Blue and Miracle On Ice.

3) Donald Sutherland-- I love watching him.

4) Sam Rockwell-- great character actor.

5) Timothy Agoglia Carey-- a B-movie nutjob with a terrific and menacing stage presence. Been dead a long time.

6) Chris Cooper-- does a wide range of great roles.

7) J.T. Walsh-- gosh, he was good. Sadly no longer with us.

8) Christian Bale-- is he considered underrated? I seriously don't know.

9) Gene Wilder-- Love watching him, just great stuff.

10) Clancy Brown-- great presence. Usually plays a bullying or strong-willed character.

11) Powers Boothe-- ditto.

Before I reply to your post: It’s great to see you posting again, Karl. We never got to know each other, but I’ve read many of your old posts and have always liked to as well. I hope you stick around for a while.

Originally Posted by Karl Childers
In my opinion, this is one of the greatest discussions film lovers can have. I love the idea of the underrated actor.

Below are some of my favorites. Some are truly underrated, some are simply not considered that good because of typecasting or historically poor roles, some are just older and perhaps forgotten because they are not as active or young as they once were.
1) Brad Dourif-- a truly underrated actor. Terrific intensity and perfect execution of expression. Check him out in the Deadwood series as Doc.
It’s hard to say whether guys like Brad are under appreciated since they work all the friggin’ time, but he has never been an A-list celebrity…not pretty enough…but damn if he isn’t great in whatever he does.

2) Kurt Russell-- he really is a very good actor. Excellent in Dark Blue and Miracle On Ice.
Okay…I’m assuming you mean he’s under rated as a talented actor, and not as a celebrity, because this fella has been worshipped by many for a long time now. I too think that Kurt is a great actor. I have a feeling that now, since he’s gotten older, that more and more often, Kurt will be recognized for his talent.

3) Donald Sutherland-- I love watching him.
Oh yeah, baby. King of quirky cool he definitely was. He and Gould both were.

4) Sam Rockwell-- great character actor.
It’s hard to see him as under appreciated since he’s so popular anymore, but I did like him before it was cool to do so…I assume you did too.

5) Timothy Agoglia Carey-- a B-movie nutjob with a terrific and menacing stage presence. Been dead a long time.
I can’t specifically remember him from much besides The Killing and Paths of Glory…I assume this is in your forgotten realm.

6) Chris Cooper-- does a wide range of great roles.
He’s one I would put on my list pre-Adaptation, but I think he’s doing better now. Always plays a great dad, doesn’t he?

7) J.T. Walsh-- gosh, he was good. Sadly no longer with us.
Yeah, he was awesome. I miss the big lug. He was ALWAYS one of my favorites

8) Christian Bale-- is he considered underrated? I seriously don't know.
Not anymore…especially after Batman Begins comes out.

9) Gene Wilder-- Love watching him, just great stuff.
Hmm…hard for me to label him as such, but the newest generation seems to forget him a lot…unless they think of Mel Brooks, that is.

10) Clancy Brown-- great presence. Usually plays a bullying or strong-willed character.
YES!!! He has played SO many villains, he’s almost perfectly type-cast…but he also plays the good guy occasionally…that’s when I really dig him. I love to see people used against their type.

11) Powers Boothe-- ditto.
Didn’t you just love his short time in Sin City? Wicked eyes. I’ve always liked this guy too…great at the strong, dangerous, roles…but can also be largely sympathetic and charming.

Great list, man!
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I love character actors, so my list isn't so much underrated as it is underappreciated.

Peter Weller
M. Emmet Walsh
Clancy Brown
Marlon Wayans (AMAZING in Reqium for a Dream)
Delroy Lindo
Michael Rapaport
Giancarlo Esposito

And the list goes on....

Oh and how could I possibly forget John Lithgow!!! Aw hell, just add the entire cast of BB, I'm a sucker for a good neurotic and Jeff Goldblum fills that niche perfectly, a pre-mad doctor Christopher Lloyd and Ellen Barkin....droooooooooooool

Great list, man!
Thanks, LS!