Happy Birthday, GENE WILDER!

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
Today is actor Gene Wilder's 74th birthday!

When I was in junior high and high school, I was a member of his short-lived fan club and I have several signed pictures of him. I still adore him, even though he's older than my dad.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GENE! You've been through a lot, but you've always managed to make us laugh! (And no matter what Tim Burton and Johnny Depp say, YOU will always be Willy Wonka!)
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	96q887u8.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	4938  

The People's Republic of Clogher
Happy birthday Mr Wilder.

I heard him on the radio yesterday plugging his autobiography and remembered the time he got me out of a hole caused by a stinker of a European Lit essay:

...well, he helped indirectly.

LOL, Ionesco! Weird movie.

His autobiography (Kiss Me Like a Stranger) is sad, quaint -- just about what you'd expect from Wilder if you knew anything of his personal life. Oddly paced, though. I didn't mind that so much because to me it meant he probably didn't use a ghost writer.

Originally Posted by Austruck
LOL, Ionesco! Weird movie.

His autobiography (Kiss Me Like a Stranger) is sad, quaint -- just about what you'd expect from Wilder if you knew anything of his personal life. Oddly paced, though. I didn't mind that so much because to me it meant he probably didn't use a ghost writer.
He mentioned in the interview that the book was all his own work (and railed, in a nice way, against Burton's Wonka. "It's going to be dark and for the teenagers, not the innocent film we made.").

Originally Posted by Tacitus
He mentioned in the interview that the book was all his own work (and railed, in a nice way, against Burton's Wonka. "It's going to be dark and for the teenagers, not the innocent film we made.").
He did concede that Depp was pretty much the only person to play the part, since it was being remade. But yes, he also expressed "disappointment" that it was being remade at all, and he did expect it to be quite different because of Burton's style.

We'll see, I guess. I'll always love the original, of course. Gene's my honey.

Neutral Milk Hotel
Happy Bday Gene! Wow, i wonder if hes ever gonna go online and see this.
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

...no matter what Tim Burton and Johnny Depp say, YOU will always be Willy Wonka!
Sometimes I literally adore you.

I love Depp...and mildly like Burton, but neither have what it takes to make a better film. At least that's what I expect.

BTW: The original scared the crap outta me when I was a youngin'...innocent my ass. It was dark too...at least for a little child. I didn't truly understand that the kids weren't dead, while they were being picked off one by one...and the blueberry girl...creepy.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
The original scared the crap outta me when I was a youngin'...innocent my ass. It was dark too...at least for a little child. I didn't truly understand that the kids weren't dead, while they were being picked off one by one...and the blueberry girl...creepy.
If there was one book guaranteed to keep a class of thirty 9 year-olds from not the best part of town spellbound, it was Charly & The Chocolate Factory.

And I should know.

Someone Save Us College Kids
They Could have at least gave Gene a part in the movie...... anyways Love you Gene Wilder

I hadn't thought of that! Hey, they did it for Charlton Heston in the new Planet of the Apes -- why not Gene? Then again, maybe he IS in the movie and we don't know it yet.

Slay, I saw the original when I was about 12 or so -- old enough to know the kids were probably okay. Although I did worry the most about Mike TeeVee. And his mother FAINTED! LOL

P.S. Slay, I ALWAYS adore YOU.

I should get out my high school yearbook and scan some of the stuff my friends wrote in it for me: "B.O.L. when you grow up and marry Gene Wilder!" ... "To the REAL Mrs. Gene Wilder ... Give him a kiss for us when you're rich and famous and directing his next movie..." Yes, I was just bold enough to assert that I was going to go to Hollywood to be a director and would meet and marry Gene Wilder.

I ended up marrying a tall blue-eyed blond with frizzy hair anyway, so I'm happy.

P.S. Slay, I ALWAYS adore YOU.
Aww...

It amazes me that there was a high school girl in love with Gene Wilder.

Understanding Chris will be so much easier now.

It's worse than that. I should drag out my JUNIOR HIGH yearbook. I totally fell for Gene Wilder when my folks took us to the drive-in in 1974 to see Blazing Saddles. Omigosh, I couldn't sleep that night because I couldn't stop thinking about those BLUE EYES and that blond hair hanging upside down in that jail cell. (sigh)

I was thirteen years old. My eighth grade diary ends every entry with "I LOVE GENE WILDER!" How sad is that?

I started my first Gene Wilder scrapbook that year. I have three of them, filled with articles, pages of ticket stubs, signed photos, etc. etc. Had movie posters for all his movies plastered on my wall, soundtracks to every movie ... Meanwhile, all my friends had crushes on young guys a third his age.

I had serious issues as a teen. But, I was happy.

HA!

That is so friggin' cool...

Let's see...my first massive love was Linda Carter...easy.