Universal, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
You're getting my proofreading skills for free. Don't thank me. It's a free service I offer all my online friends who seem to be grammatically unteachable.

Ask Yoda when to use "its" and "it's" and see if he's learned that yet. ;)

Right now, at this very second, yes it does. The more support you have, the more likely it'll stay around several years from now. Was this not a key factor in Betamax/VHS?
The word "technically" in the phrase "technically speaking" is key. Choosing a format that will be around is obviously important, but this is a discussion about which format is superior. IE: which "deserves" to win. Not which is more likely to.

Assuming Blu-Ray is more likely to come out on top (and I'm not necessarily agreeing with you there), I'd say that would make it "safer," not "superior."

Also, not to belabor the point, but you didn't answer my question as to whether or not you have to pay for these sorts of things on your own. I don't mean to pry into your personal business, but it's directly relevant to the conversation, as price is (rightfully) a major contributing factor for many consumers.

You can only go SO far. DVDs are no bigger then 8.5 GB and have been since they stated using them. HD-DVDs have a max capacity of 50GB, while Blu-Ray has a max of 100GB. Storage space may not be important now, but it sure will be later down the road.
Sure. But I take it for granted that both will undergo plenty of changes, and an increase in storage space for both seems pretty inevitable. Various types of innovation can come in stops and starts, but ever-increasing disk space is a constant in virtually every medium.

Because of two reasons that I mentioned earlier; one, not everyone is educated about the two formats and two, not everyone cares about those features.
I'm not sure how the word "everyone" snuck its way in there; of course not everyone cares about them. But I'm sure some people do, and I'd wager it's a significant number of people. Do you have any basis to claim otherwise, or are you guessing??

Honestly, they're not THAT important. If they were, HD-DVD would be leading Blu-Ray by a mile.
But earlier you said that people weren't educated about the two formats. If they're not educated about them, then sales thus far can't be used as a barometer for what they want. They can't genuinely prefer something when they don't really know what their options are, so they can't both be true.

Anyway, I'm not sure how important "THAT important" is. I think they're significant. I think people like cool features (always a safe bet), and HD-DVD has had them for quite awhile now. I also think that, were the shoe on the other format, you'd be hammering it home as another point in Blu-Ray's favor.

When you can rub the bottom of your disk with steel wool and still play it, it's a hell of an extra.
Not unless there's some kind of tangible benefit to rubbing your disks with steel wool. But if you're the kind of person who cares less about product quality and more about impressing people, then yeah, great extra. Say, you wouldn't want to buy some Ginsu knives, would you? They can cut through your shoes.

Another question, name the first non-Toshiba HD-DVD.
See, now this is the first good point you've made. The lack of diversity is certainly a downside to HD-DVD. Then again, as long as the players are good, it's a pretty minor downside, and there's no chance whatsoever of the dearth continuing much longer. But sure, that's a small mark against HD-DVD, I suppose.

Ask Yoda when to use "its" and "it's" and see if he's learned that yet.
Pfft. I can explain the difference perfectly well and usually use it correctly. Nyah.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
You can only go SO far. DVDs are no bigger then 8.5 GB and have been since they stated using them. HD-DVDs have a max capacity of 50GB, while Blu-Ray has a max of 100GB. Storage space may not be important now, but it sure will be later down the road.
1080p 24, the highest and most practical resolution available today and for the forseeable future, fits just fine on a 50gig HD DVD. If there is ever any increase in resolution that can NOT fit on an HD DVD, but can fit on a Blu-Ray that's cool. But if that ever is the case, have a blast paying for a new Blu-Ray player because its HDMI port - the only player port capable of carrying such bandwidth - is too out of date to handle it.

Updating firmware for new features is one thing, but you simply cannot update hardware in the same manner. And the only area in which the capacity matters is resolution, a resolution which is at its hardware cap already.

Oh, and regarding Toshiba being the only manufacturer. Aside from the fact that this is in no way a bad thing (as price and 3 different models clearly shows), you're just plain wrong. Ignoring LG, NEC and the other manufacturers who make the PC drives/players and the 360 HD DVD Drive, you've forgotten Samsung and their standalone combo players, which are soon entering their new generation.

You ready? You look ready.
And I also think that you would NOT consider the combo players to be actual HD-DVD players because they are unable to take advantage of the advance features you hold dearly. Would you agree?

Yoda: I occasionally buy a Blu-Ray title but, my dad probably buys 3 for my every 1. He's more into Blu-Ray than me. :laugh:

And generally, same title releases are cheaper on Blu-Ray.

"He's more into Blu-Ray than me."

Should I laugh or cry? You finally got "than" right, but it should be "than I," not "than me."

Okay, I'll shut up now.

And I also think that you would NOT consider the combo players to be actual HD-DVD players because they are unable to take advantage of the advance features you hold dearly. Would you agree?
I would agree now, but as I pointed out in that shout, they are soon to release the new generation, which does have the standards required by all HD DVD players.

You can hate on those features you lack all you want, once you experience them you'll fall in love instantly. It'll put your steel wool to shame.

By the way, no animosity in these shouts, just friendly debate.

That I always win.

You can hate on those features you lack all you want, once you experience them you'll fall in love instantly. It'll put your steel wool to shame.
Oh, I don't hate them. I know I'm going to have them eventually but honestly, I could care less.

I want my movie, and my movie only. I rarely watch the extra features, and I've never listened to a director's commentary before. So advance features, such as them, are a little low on my list. :yup:

John, I'm the same as you on that one. I rarely watch the extra features on DVDs. I think Firefly was the last one I did that with.

Oddly, I don't even know if any of the BSGs or Losts have added features. I assume they do, but I haven't seen them yet.