A question for all Atheists

Tools    

As to everything else you wrote I'm not sure how it pertains to my position.
You don't see how having a different standard for religion than your own beliefs might explain why you believe in one over the other?

I've tried to be polite through all this, but the evasions are piling up. I presented you with a clear contradiction. After giving me the run around for a dozen posts you finally (why not sooner?) said "I said that not because I believe it." So I said, okay: do you believe it? At which point you asked "Believe in what?" I indulged this inexplicable question (had you suddenly forgotten what we were talking about?)...and now you're dodging it again, with no explanation.

Keeping this part separate, since it's a separate issue:

I still don't understand what you mean by rational.
I mean the standard dictionary definition of the word: based in reason and logic. You have many instincts, yes? And because you're not an animal, you do not indulge them simply because they're there. You judge them and decide which to indulge and which are just irrational animal impulses that ought to be suppressed. Ergo, impulses can be rational or irrational, and whether or not they have a natural source doesn't change this.

I want to add that if being attacked is considered wrong because of an instinct or feeling to preserve one's welfare that could be said to be a rational reason or basis for such consideration.
Glad you brought this up, because there's an important distinction here: a process can be rational, even if the goal isn't. I've made this distinction a handful of times, but here's an analogy that might help it finally land:

Imagine an insane person. They think there are spiders on them, and scratching at their skin makes this thought go away. The scratching is "rational" in the sense that it is a logical way of achieving something they want. But the thing they want to achieve is not rational, because it is based on an unjustified premise.

Similarly, moral rules can be "rational" in the sense that they achieve some goal ("I wouldn't like X, so let's make a rule that says people can't do X"). But they can never be "rational" in the sense of justifying that goal. That part is always sub-rational. That part is always "just because."

Just don't be butthurt when I point out your comment sounds like it came from some Dawkins-worshipping sophomore's blog comment section...where it belongs.

This facile stuff doesn't fly here. This is a conversation for grown-ups.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
You don't see how having a different standard for religion than your own beliefs might explain why you believe in one over the other?

I've tried to be polite through all this, but the evasions are piling up. I presented you with a clear contradiction. After giving me the run around for a dozen posts you finally (why not sooner?) said "I said that not because I believe it." So I said, okay: do you believe it? At which point you asked "Believe in what?" I indulged this inexplicable question (had you suddenly forgotten what we were talking about?)...and now you're dodging it again, with no explanation.
My position, as I've said countless times before, is that holy books are demonstrably false and therefore should be dismissed as folklore, fabrication. And I don't think any conclusions about anything should be based on belief. If you then want to say morality may evidence your god because you don't feel it's been proven otherwise then you're free to do that, but that means everything unproven is evidence of your god and, as I've also said countless times before, history has proven that a terribly failed position.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Imagine an insane person. They think there are spiders on them, and scratching at their skin makes this thought go away. The scratching is "rational" in the sense that it is a logical way of achieving something they want. But the thing they want to achieve is not rational, because it is based on an unjustified premise.

Similarly, moral rules can be "rational" in the sense that they achieve some goal ("I wouldn't like X, so let's make a rule that says people can't do X"). But they can never be "rational" in the sense of justifying that goal. That part is always sub-rational. That part is always "just because."
The scratching isn't rational because the spiders aren't there, they're a delusion. We make a law preventing attack because being damaged is bad for our well-being, wrong for us.

Your position is made up of all your claims, not just the ones you feel more comfortable defending, and not just the ones you started off making. You've made far more claims than the one you're rearticulating now, and I'm asking you about some of them. It's pretty simple.

The scratching isn't rational because the spiders aren't there, they're a delusion. We make a law preventing attack because being damaged is bad for our well-being, wrong for us.
Indeed, laws against murder are not identical to spider delusions. Glad we cleared that up. But the point was that a process can be rational even if a goal is not.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Your position is made up of all your claims, not just the ones you feel more comfortable defending, and not just the ones you started off making. You've made far more claims than the one you're rearticulating now, and I'm asking you about some of them. It's pretty simple.

Indeed, laws against murder are not identical to spider delusions. Glad we cleared that up. But the point was that a process can be rational even if a goal is not.
My position has been very simple and consistent: Holy books are folklore and divine and metaphysical claims are speculation.

The spider analogy is completely mistaken as I just showed.

Why is that "your position" and not all the other things you've said? Are you not accountable for those claims and arguments because you haven't designated them "your position"?

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Why is that "your position" and not all the other things you've said? Are you not accountable for those claims and arguments because you haven't designated them "your position"?
I'm not sure what you're referring to but I've had only one position which I've stated many, many times.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
You only have one position? So what do you call all the other statements and arguments you've posted throughout the thread?
Actually, almost all my written words have been responses to you. Look, besides my view that holy books are folklore, or expressions of what is thought to be, should be, etc., I don't really have a position. Indeed, I've already said science itself may just be good at measuring the illusion.

Just don't be butthurt when I point out your comment sounds like it came from some Dawkins-worshipping sophomore's blog comment section...where it belongs.

This facile stuff doesn't fly here. This is a conversation for grown-ups.
I'm sorry that i'm pro-science. I need hard facts before i believe something to be true. Faith alone is not a good insurer.

Now a good number of things in the bible I believe are true. There was a man name Jesus. I'm sure that's true. Do i believe that he was the son of god? No. Do i think he could turn water into wine? No. Do i believe he could walk on water? A Puddle maybe but anything larger no. Did he amass a huge following? Obviously since there was a book written about him.

I am simply a realist. Do i wish/hope there is a god? I would hope there is so life didn't end in the physical form but there is no evidence whatsoever to back up there being a god or a higher power and all the things that happen everyday life make me believe less in one everyday (with all these Disasters, children being killed, despicable acts being carried out by terrible people across the planet, etc)

I feel sorry for Atheists when they're misrepresented by above-like posts. Grow up.

I feel sorry for Atheists when they're misrepresented by above-like posts. Grow up.
misrepresented? What was so immature about my post? Those are my feelings on the whole thing. People can go on reading the bible all the want, i just won't be. So bringing science into the debate is "unreasonable"?

I'm sorry that i'm pro-science. I need hard facts before i believe something to be true. Faith alone is not a good insurer.

Now a good number of things in the bible I believe are true. There was a man name Jesus. I'm sure that's true. Do i believe that he was the son of god? No. Do i think he could turn water into wine? No. Do i believe he could walk on water? A Puddle maybe but anything larger no. Did he amass a huge following? Obviously since there was a book written about him.

I am simply a realist. Do i wish/hope there is a god? I would hope there is so life didn't end in the physical form

but there is no evidence whatsoever to back up there being a god or a higher power
Life ending in physical form isn't contingent on there "being a god or not".

From a secular perspective it's unknown what causes individual consciousness (ex. while brain activity might cause consciousness in general - what caused you to be born in your specific body hasn't been explained) - so the idea that one's consciousness can't be "re born" after death in another existence can't be ruled out - god and 'supernatural' having nothing to do with it.

and all the things that happen everyday life make me believe less in one everyday (with all these Disasters, children being killed, despicable acts being carried out by terrible people across the planet, etc)
That'd be less evidence of a "perfect God" than evidence of "a God period" - other scenarios would be

-A non-omnipotent designer - had the ability to create the universe in it's present state but not 'iron out the flaws'

-A deceased designer - god is actually a member of an extraterrestrial race who died or was killed in war in another dimension before it could complete its project

The "bad stuff happens so they're can't be a God" argument though is a stupid one, so atheists need to stop using it. It'd be like saying "A Ferrari couldn't have been designed by someone because it has mechanical flaws".

Wasn't anything wrong with what he said - saying the Bible is fiction isn't 'bad' just because someone's offended who thinks it's all literal events.

On the other hand his arguments were cliche and were bad ones which I think atheists need to stop using - such as the "a designer can't exist because bad stuff happens in the world" argument.

Actually, almost all my written words have been responses to you. Look, besides my view that holy books are folklore, or expressions of what is thought to be, should be, etc., I don't really have a position. Indeed, I've already said science itself may just be good at measuring the illusion.
I guess I'm fuzzy on the distinction between the things you say, and the positions you "really" have. Obviously, you've made lots of different claims throughout the discussion, but it sounds like you're saying most of those don't count/can't be questioned. That doesn't seem particularly fair or reasonable, especially when said after the fact.

I'm not sure the distinction is even possible; most positions are made up of other positions. You don't think holy books are folklore as an axiom, you think they're folklore because you've taken other positions about how to weigh evidence that they fall short of. So those positions are, in fact, part of this one. Which is why they came up in the process of discussing it.

I'm sorry that i'm pro-science.
Okay...? Is there a scientific principle that forces you to leave juvenile remarks in otherwise thoughtful discussions? If not, then being "pro-science" has nothing to do with it.

The comment you posted was a simple provocation without any point. It contains no insight. It contains no argument. It's just a drive-by swipe, with a pinch of memetic slang thrown in just to spite people. Whether or not you're right doesn't even have anything to do with it; it would still be juvenile and useless. It's the kind of thing you'd expect to see in the comments section of some angry YouTube video, not something grown-ups say when they want to discuss something serious.

Moreover, when someone says they disbelieve in God because they're "pro-science," all that tells me is that they have a twisted notion of what science actually is. It has literally nothing to do with the metaphysical. They can't even conflict, by definition.

and all the things that happen everyday life make me believe less in one everyday (with all these Disasters, children being killed, despicable acts being carried out by terrible people across the planet, etc)
See, this is what I'm talking about. This has the whiff of the adolescent rite of passage that says "I just thought of this problem, and I'm going to act like it's never occurred to anyone else."

Do you really think religious people are oblivious to suffering and the questions it poses, or that there are no arguments about this? It's one of the most discussed theological concepts in history. It's called the Problem of Pain, and literally millions of words have been written about it. It's all there for people who actually want to get to the truth of things, as opposed to those who just want to feel reassured in their beliefs.

You know how science actually works? You know how you try to determine if something is true? You work your ass off to try to disprove your own theory. And arguments are the same way. If you're actually a skeptical, questioning person, then you will actively seek out the best arguments against your position you can find. Because those are the ones that should actually matter to you.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
I guess I'm fuzzy on the distinction between the things you say, and the positions you "really" have. Obviously, you've made lots of different claims throughout the discussion, but it sounds like you're saying most of those don't count/can't be questioned. That doesn't seem particularly fair or reasonable, especially when said after the fact.

I'm not sure the distinction is even possible; most positions are made up of other positions. You don't think holy books are folklore as an axiom, you think they're folklore because you've taken other positions about how to weigh evidence that they fall short of. So those positions are, in fact, part of this one. Which is why they came up in the process of discussing it.
I'm not sure what you're referring to in regard to other claims I've made and holy books make demonstrably false claims about matters of fact so they discredit themselves. As to rationality and morality I'm still not sure what you're getting at by process vs goal but let me say a few short things on the matter.

Just because something may be instinctual doesn't mean it doesn't serve a purpose, the fight or flight response being a good example. Many see the underpinnings of morality as instinctual or hardwired, as part of our nature, but it serves the purpose of keeping our social units intact. The basic laws that all societies and tribes have had from the beginning as well as kindness or altruism maintain the group and prevent it's disintegration. In fact, we see this in the first of all social units the family: Parents treat their children fairly, with kindness, prohibit certain behaviors, protect them from harm, including each other, etc. Certain conduct can thus be understood as good or bad, right or wrong, because they are necessarily so, required to ensure the welfare and viability of the the group, ourselves.

Some who argue divine morality accept a biological view on a basic level but feel it can't explain everything, but this is answered by pointing out that not everything we believe or do is adaptive--although it may have its roots in that--but emerge from psychology, culture, contemplation etc. A short and very good piece on this can be found in Paul Bloom's (Yale psychology professor who did morality in babies studies) reply to Francis Collins' (physical chemist, medical geneticist, former head of the Human Genome Project) view that morality is evidence of the divine.

That at least the bulk of morality can be placed in a evolutionary context is supported by what we would deem moral behavior in other social species and would seem to pose a problem for divine theory. The observation that morality doesn't appear entirely universal or fixed seems to be a problem as well. There are, and have been, differing moral views on sexual conduct for instance and practices such as slavery which were once widely accepted are now condemned. One would think that if a god implanted our sense of morality it wouldn't differ or be subject to change. Additionally, I wonder that if a divine moral sense is so very important why is psychopathy and other brain malformation allowed that prevents or renders it impotent.