Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Zone of Interest (2023) -

Does the zone of interest refer to the top or the bottom half of the screen? This is the question I started asking myself halfway into it and I still haven't found an answer. While I'm not as down on this film as some people are, so much of the environment Glazer creates boils down to the contrast between the two halves of the screen. On the bottom half lies a paradise. The vegetation is lush, the small swimming pool in the backyard and the frequent trips to the lake provide a great dose of fun to Höss's children, and the interior of the house looks rather pristine. The top half of the screen is where the reality of their surroundings peaks over the edge. Occasional sounds of screams and gunfire, smoke rising from the incinerators, and steam from arriving trains complicates the serenity down below. Any intrusions the top half has on the bottom half (human ash accumulating on flower petals, unseen dead bodies floating in the river, and concentration camp prisoners working/marching in the background), though fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of the environment, are hard to ignore (for us, at least) whenever the camera fixates on them. A weaker film would've given us a glimpse or two of what goes on over the walls and would've showed the human suffering up close, but Glazer is really careful at how he compartmentalizes us from the Holocaust, linking us aurally through sound rather than visually. With this, he's able to put us in the headspace of Höss's family fairly well, as if we're experiencing his house from their viewpoints.

That said, I felt I got the idea of the film fairly early on. The further I got into it, the more I was beginning to feel diminishing returns as the repetition was growing clearer and clearer. Which isn't inherently bad, but mixing repetition with the abundance of static characters who didn't react much to Auschwitz's intrusion on their lives didn't do it much favors. Hedwig Höss's mother reacting negatively to the burning crematorium was the only time the repetition came close to wearing me down and even that sub-plot was somewhat brief. I also took issue with a significant portion of the final act being set in Berlin and a SS party. Since I had grown largely tired of the film by that point, I initially welcomed the change in scenery only to find the new scenery to be comparably less atmospheric. Also, while I admired the bizarre soundtrack and the uncommon visual abstractions as a curiosity, I'm not sure they fit the tone of the film that well (someone may be able to convince me otherwise for this point though). I don't know if the film will grow on me if I sit on it for a couple days, but as it stands now, I found it to be a fairly mixed bag and I wish I could've responded to it better.

On Chesil Beach (2017)

Class conscious novella from the pen of Ian McEwan about the budding relationship between Edward and Florence from different backgrounds. This ends up leading to a disastrous wedding night when Edwards clumsy physical efforts are rebuffed by Florence (or just not reciprocated). It's a heartbreaking tale of unfulfilled love. Billy Howle in particular is excellent as Edward, I'd like to see him in "bigger" stuff.

I forgot the opening line.

By Unknown - IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=73811512

Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie - (2023)

Well, it's been a season of documentaries giving us an up-close and personal look at various celebrities, but unlike George Michael and Michael Jackson, Michael J. Fox (all three, ha!) is still alive, and can tell us his story directly. I didn't realise his rise to fame was so directly related to Back to the Future - mainly because I knew about Michael J. Fox from Family Ties, and I think that was the same for many people. His becoming a movie star put him more in the limelight, but he was well and truly famous already. I was disappointed that there was no mention of Class of 1984 - he didn't have a huge role in that, but I was a fan of the movie at the time, and so was familiar with Michael cinematically from that. He had a terrible time finding good movies to be in - I don't know why. Obviously, I was sad to hear he had Parkinson's - and had wanted to catch up with him for ages, which is exactly what we do here. An intimate look at his life, his family, and his struggle with the misfortune of all misfortune's - living the life of your wildest dreams, and then having a cruel twist added to the mix. The way this is all put together is very well done, except for the fact that I hate when documentary makers take parts of their subject's movies, and make them part of the narrative. It's cheesy. Other than that - a big thumbs up.

7.5/10

By Unknown - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056160/, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=75583538

Two Half-Times in Hell - (1961)

A retelling of the "Death Match" legend from World War II from the perspective of a Hungarian Labour Camp, where the Nazis want the inmates to form a football team to play the Germans during Adolf Hitler's Birthday celebrations. Compared to it's remake, Escape to Victory (just Victory in the U.S.) this movie is extraordinarily grim, but also inspired in it's earnest sincerity and power. Review here, in my watchlist thread.

8/10

By May be found at the following website: http://www.movieposterdb.com/poster/e3a1ae93, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=38487153

Le Grand Amour - (1969)

Very funny French comedy about a middle-aged factory boss who falls in love with his young secretary. There are many inspired fantasy sequences. Full review here, in my watchlist thread.

8/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

That's some bad hat, Harry.
Swede Caroline (2024)

Had the opportunity to see Swede Caroline ahead of its UK release on April 18th. A wonderful mockumentary comedy about giant vegetable growing! Jo Hartley, in her first lead role, is excellent.

Mad God - (2021)

Uh... waaaay too abstract for me.

Stuck -

Stuart Gordon's final film is a lean and mean thriller featuring his brand of dark humor that made him one of my favorite directors. A movie that could also be called "Thomas's Adventures Through The Windshield Glass," it ably shows what happens when everyone's (well, almost everyone's) mantra is "sucks to be you." Making the person behind the wheel, Brandi (Suvari), a devoted nursing home employee is an inspired touch in this regard. Besides the obvious in highlighting how neglected senior citizens are, I like how the incident subverts our expectations about her in her not-so-selfless response. By the same token, I approve of how Thomas (Rea) is a victim in more ways than the obvious, whether it’s the corporate system that constantly finds new ways to shirk on paying benefits or the bureaucracy in his unemployment office snafu. This may not sound like material from which anyone could wring comedy, even dark comedy, but Gordon and company manage and then some. Being stuck in a windshield over an extended period of time is funnier than you think it would be, and Brandi's not-so-honorable drug dealer boyfriend, Rashid (Hornsby), defines comic relief. Despite occurring in the ordinary world, Gordon manages to bring his special mix of thrills and spills anyway. I also like how he puts his own stamp on the movie however he can from making the setting Lovecraft's neck of the woods to having a familiar voice as a 911 dispatcher.

In a world where there's little incentive to save anyone but yourself, Thomas's unique situation, which was inspired by a real one, probably isn't that unique after all. Regardless, the movie offers a little hope that the world may not always be this way. Despite its appropriately heightened tone, the movie strains credulity at times. I don't think it's wrong to consider things like thirst and starvation, for instance. Other than that, it proves that Gordon didn't need to lean on mutants and ghouls to shock or thrill. After all, humans can be just as monstrous.

Good movie. Excellent chemistry between the two leads. Callum Turner plays an American with a Polish background & he’s so convincing I had no idea he’s British. He’s a very good-looking guy too. Right now he’s in Masters of the Air. .

Good indie movie from Canada. Nothing much to it, but I watched it twice.

@Allaby would like this I guess.

Umpteenth Rewatch...This joyous compilation of the greatest musical highlights of MGM's golden age of movie musicals still holds up after 50 years. Numbers like "Begin the Beguine" with Fred Astaire and Eleanor Powell from Broadway Melody of 1940 the barn raising ballet from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, and the finale of AN American Paris still hold up beautifully in their entirety, but what I noticed during this viewing is that almost all of the other clips featured are edited together so that we rarely see the number in its entirety, especially the section spotlighting Judy Garland, hosted by her daughter Liza Minnelli, seems kind of rushed through, but we do get a peek at some of the greatest musical numbers ever made including some spectacular Esther Williams water ballets. It was a little sad to realize that, Minnelli is the only one of the eleven stars hosting the film who is still with us.

Good movie. Excellent chemistry between the two leads. Callum Turner plays an American with a Polish background & he’s so convincing I had no idea he’s British. He’s a very good-looking guy too. Right now he’s in Masters of the Air. .

Good indie movie from Canada. Nothing much to it, but I watched it twice.

@Allaby would like this I guess.
Sounds interesting. I will have to check it out.

5th Rewatch...This often hilarious comedy has endless rewatch appeal thanks largely to an amazing cast. Goldie Hawn, Bette Midler, and Diane Keaton play three woman who went to college together who are reunited after the suicide of a fourth (Stockard Channing). As the women catch up, it is revealed that all three of them have been left by their husbands for younger women and decide to get revenge on their scummy ex-husbands, but the ladies plan for revenge takes an unexpected pleasant turn making the story richer than it might have been if it had stopped with the revenge plot. Hawn, Midler, and Keaton are flawless together and they are backed by a superb supporting cast including Victor Garber, Dan Hedaya, Stephen Collins, Maggie Smith, Sarah Jessica Parker, Marcia Gay Harden, Eileen Heckart, Philip Bosco, Timothy Olyphant, and Bronson Pinchot. I also love the detail that director Hugh Wilson puts into every part of this story. Watch that opening scene where Channing is about to end her life...the scene is only five minutes long, but neither Wilson nor Channing phone it in.

2nd Rewatch...The story is kind of predictable and is rife with some rather offensive racial stereotypes but Will Ferrell and Kevin Hart are so funny that you almost don't notice.

[quote=PHOENIX74;2452888]
By Unknown - IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=73811512

Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie - (2023)

Well, it's been a season of documentaries giving us an up-close and personal look at various celebrities, but unlike George Michael and Michael Jackson, Michael J. Fox (all three, ha!) is still alive, and can tell us his story directly. I didn't realise his rise to fame was so directly related to Back to the Future - mainly because I knew about Michael J. Fox from Family Ties, and I think that was the same for many people. His becoming a movie star put him more in the limelight, but he was well and truly famous already. I was disappointed that there was no mention of Class of 1984 - he didn't have a huge role in that, but I was a fan of the movie at the time, and so was familiar with Michael cinematically from that. He had a terrible time finding good movies to be in - I don't know why. Obviously, I was sad to hear he had Parkinson's - and had wanted to catch up with him for ages, which is exactly what we do here. An intimate look at his life, his family, and his struggle with the misfortune of all misfortune's - living the life of your wildest dreams, and then having a cruel twist added to the mix. The way this is all put together is very well done, except for the fact that I hate when documentary makers take parts of their subject's movies, and make them part of the narrative. It's cheesy. Other than that - a big thumbs up.

7.5/10

I loved this movie...a link to my review:

https://www.movieforums.com/reviews/...fox_movie.html

The Big Parade (1925)

They really don't make 'em like they used to!

'Kin-Dza-Dza' (1986)

“Two Soviet humans previously unknown to each other are transported to the planet Pluke in the Kin-dza-da galaxy due to a chance encounter with an alien teleportation device. They must come to grips with a language barrier and Plukian social norms (not to mention the laws of space and time) if they ever hope to return to Earth.”

Yeah this film is as batsh*t crazy as the synopsis suggests. It’s a little like ‘Hard to be a God’ but in the desert. The first hour is rather repetitive but then it just gets more weird and wild as it goes on, with black comedy meeting theological philosophy and time travel chaos.

The two soviets must figure out how to communicate with the species on planet Pluke and find contraptions and shuttles to transport them home to Earth, or to other places that will lead them home. It’s an absurdist film filled with the most strangest dialogue, but at the same time the viewer feels like the film is one hundred percent Director Georgiy Daneliya’s true vision.

Some of the images are so striking that they will remain ingrained on my eyes for a while. This feels like a film that should be checked out by any enthusiast of Sci-Fi.

7.4/10

'La Chimera' (2024)

Alice Rohrwacher really is a fabulous director. Her last feature ‘Happy as Lazzaro’ was a strange trip into a slice of Italy, and ‘La Chimera’ is another oddity from a corner of Italy that is beautifully captured and presented in vignetted aspect ratios and topsy turvy camerawork.

Josh O’Connor is amazing here as a sort of regional, ethically dubious Indiana Jones figure who leads a group of low lives that raid archaic tombs for relics that he sells on the black market, and as others have written – this feels like a troupe that wouldn’t be out of place in a Fellini film. He speaks Italian most of the film and his performance is nothing short of magical. Along with this bunch of other misfits helping to raid the tombs he is fresh out of prison (presumable for being caught stealing relics)and cuts a forlorn, troubled character looking for a remnant of his lost love Beniamina. He lives in a dilapidated hut and visits Beniamina’s mother, played by Isabella Rossellini (who just seems to get more elegant with every film she does).

Although the story gets a tad histrionic in the third act, it’s a beautiful dose of strange, alluring magical realism that captures love and grief in a really lovely way. This one’s sure o be at the top of the 2024 list

8.5/10

I forgot the opening line.

By http://www.impawards.com/2024/monkey_man_xxlg.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=75924282

Monkey Man - (2024)

Fans of intense violence and fast action mixed together should get a lot out of Monkey Man - the hero and his nemesis are of a type who can take the most brutal of hits 10, 20 or even 30 times, along with stabbings, cuts, burns and scrapes. This film wants to take you to the edge, and wrap it up in a very basic level revenge narrative. What I found most interesting was the total darkness that surrounds our characters - this film takes place in very low-light conditions indoors and outdoors. I can't remember one single shot of daylight, or a fully lit room. Nightclubs and brothels run by crime kingpins - catering to the elite, and in the end at the mercy of lowly Monkey Man (Dev Patel) - who has an axe to grind with those in power, and those on the verge of grasping power. They took something from him, and he'll take something from them (ie, their life.) Not much of a story, but the grimy characters, dark photography and fight choreography will do enough to appease fans indeed.

7/10

By Disney IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=75712601

The First Omen - (2024)

The First Omen teases, and I'd have been delighted if they'd taken a page out of the Suspiria remake handbook and got more freaky. As it is, things get freaky at times (there's a wonderful spider motif that rears it's head briefly from time to time - I'd have liked to have seen more of that), and gave me one really great scare, but it just as often falls back on mainstream crowd-pleasing tropes and effects. When the camera came around, leaving one character on the sidewalk while we faced the other backing away, I said out loud in the theater (too loud) "gonna get hit by a car - whump!" and did a gesture with my hand. Sure enough, the character in question was hit by a surprise car. So overused by now. It wasn't a bad movie though - really. There's enough "nuns acting very strange" in this to build an atmosphere of dread which gets more intense the longer it goes - finishing with a bright flourish of the grotesque, weird and horrific. A pleasing prequel overall, but not a repeat watcher.

7/10

By https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12277540/, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=75035755

Mr. Dressup: The Magic of Make Believe - (2023)

Believe it or not, I'd never heard of, nor ever seen, Mr. Dressup before. Ernie Coombs appears to have been a sweet man with a loving attitude towards life, his family, and children - watching his career blossom, and seeing his life in documentary form right up to the end was a bittersweet experience. Another touching 'life story' documentary - of which we've seen quite a few these last couple of years.

7/10

By May be found at the following website: http://www.movieposterdb.com/poster/e8f2ac82, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=28757300

All About Evil - (2010)

Goofy, cheesy horror/comedy about a theatre owner accidentally recording and broadcasting herself murdering her mother. When her act produces applause and acclaim, she decides to create more "short films" by offing those she finds most unpleasant (including her fans) - could have been funnier, but it's gory fun all the same. Full review here, in my watchlist thread.

6/10