Luis' thoughts on 2017 theatrical releases

→ in
Tools    

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
63. Atomic Blonde

Release Date: July 28

This will also fall as another very entertaining, yet soon forgettable entry in the year. There really isn't much to say about this film. Let's see.... the only thing I would consider truly wonderful in this is the fight choreography, it was exemplary. A lot of unbroken shots surrounding some gripping action truly elevate the movie a great deal for me. Protagonist was very likeable and easy to get behind, and I was very invested in her story. However, the entire thing surrounding her mission was under explained and I was a little confused. Overall, I would recommend this is a discardable watch, the action sequences are good enough for that.

SCORE - 68/100

64. Call me by Your Name

Release Date: November 24

Yeah, it's not hard to see why this movie is getting so much acclaim, everything about it is so well realized from a filmmaking perspective that the film has actually stayed with me since I saw it couple of weeks ago. The most admirable thing is how well this film handles the romance; it feels real, in the moment, and never too dramatized to the point of falling into absurdity. The cinematography was also a stand out as well as both performances from both stars. The film also delivers one of the most real and impactful endings in recent memory. It just captures the sense of exploration and inevitability of something ending flawlessly. With a fantastic Italian scenery, tight writing, exemplary direction, and a grounded and realistic romance that never feels too over-dramatic, this film stands out as one of the better and more memorable Oscar contenders.

SCORE - 93/100

65. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

Release Date: December 20

Overall, I would say this was an extremely enjoyable experience at the theater. Just to get a couple of negatives out of the way, I think that for the rules established in the film's logic, it does fall into some plot holes that did make me scratch my head, this does take significant points away as it was the result of some lazy writing that could've been easily fixed by tweaking a thing or two. I also found the first few minutes to have very forced exposition, I get that we need to learn about these characters as quickly as possible to make the adventure resonate, but the writing could have been better realized.

All that being said, this might as well be one of the most surprising films of the year, I really was not anticipating this film at all, and when the first trailer came out I thought it looked like garbage, I came out very pleased. The film plays with the idea of intellectual beings going through a real life video game with simulations and rules, while the latter did create some of the film's louder plot holes, it did also provide some moments I felt were clever. The characters all work very well, at least in the long run, the action sequences were nice, the comedy was also effective enough, and overall this is a film I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. This was definitely not a flawless blockbuster but definitely one that was worthwhile.

SCORE - 73/100

Well I haven't seen many of these films but agreed with you totally about Beauty and the Beast and Pirates of the Caribbean.These are very good reviews-
as they are pithy and insightful, but by keeping them down to one paragraph , you make it easy for us to check them all out.Lookong forward to your reviews for the films of 2018 (and you are an ardent fan) and whenever.

66. The Florida Project

Release Date: October 5

This is probably the film which feels the most real I've seen all year, not that it's the best, but it does feel like a plotless series of events, and it is about as well executed as a film of this nature could be. Throughout the entirety of this film, I felt like I was watching real life play out right before my eyes, it puts you in a specific situation normally not regarded much, and does a good job analyzing it from certain perspectives. The film also does a solid job at establishing surprisingly complete enough characters to were one may understand their actions. The characters are all mostly despicable, and even though they each get a few moments to shine, none of them won me over in the end. Overall, I will go high on this considering how good the craftsmanship is, although I do prefer films with more narrative presence.

SCORE - 75/100

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Florida Project is one I felt like I should have just loved, but it came across like a documentary. Yeah, Tangerine looked like a doc., but felt like a movie. FP seemed like street footage with Willem Dafoe acting in it. Especially the soda scene. It was great, but contrasted everything else.

Florida Project is one I felt like I should have just loved, but it came across like a documentary. Yeah, Tangerine looked like a doc., but felt like a movie. FP seemed like street footage with Willem Dafoe acting in it. Especially the soda scene. It was great, but contrasted everything else.
Yeah, once I saw a trailer and read the reviews I pretty much thought this was going to be a favorite of the year. I was a bit disappointed but overall I did feel overall positively about this film.

67. The Shape of Water

Release Date: December 1

Guillermo del Toro directed what may be my favorite movie of all time in 2006's Pan's Labyrinth, so naturally I was very excited for his new project seeing as it was acclaimed as Del Toro's return to form ever since it's production started. It took it a while to start showing were I am from, but I can say that this is definitely a Top 3 film of the year.

Del Toro is known for combining beauty and darkness to extreme success, and this film, like Pan's Labyrinth, is the best example of his work. First off, this movie has shots that will be permanently engraved in my mind. The love story was deeply affecting, and amplified to great extremes through Sally Hawkins' breathtaking performance; Del Toro just executes the idea of a lonely person finding completion in the most comfortable place so flawlessly. The plot progression is also intense and every scene amplifies the drama, i was in the edge of my seat. There aren't many specifics I want to address, just the fact that I thought this film was incredible in every way: the craftsmanship, the characters, the love story, Del Toro excels as a filmmaker through this gripping, and deeply affecting story,

SCORE - 98/100

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Well that's the 2nd review of this movie I've read this morning that really makes me want to see it. Thanks, Luis. I also really love Pan's Labyrinth.

Well that's the 2nd review of this movie I've read this morning that really makes me want to see it. Thanks, Luis. I also really love Pan's Labyrinth.
Oh, you're welcome. Please let me know what you think once you see it.

68. The Post

Release Date: December 22

I can see why Spielberg fast tracked production of this film, as you will have a hard time finding anything more socially relevant in the current political climate. Just to get the best things out of the way, seeing Meryl Streep sharing the same screen with Tom Hanks was fantastic. The directing by Spielberg was obviously also noteworthy, as he injects the warmth and wonder that resides in most of his films in this political drama. The mixture surprisingly works, even if it feels a bit out of the film's element in certain key moments. I will say though, that the first 45ish minutes of the film were very hard for me to get into, it moves at a snails pace when introducing our characters and the working enviroment they are in. However, once the main storyline begins, I was gripped for the rest of the film's runtime. It was tense, smart, informative, and I was in the edge of my seat. From the director to the actors, this may seem as one of the most Oscar-bait films of the year, and while it may not be my first choice to win Best Picture, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing it on the nominees list.

SCORE - 70/100

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
67. The Shape of Water

Release Date: December 1

...First off, this movie has shots that will be permanently engraved in my mind. ...
SCORE - 98/100

I would say some got rubbed into mine.

69. I, Tonya

Release Date: December 8

The best thing I can say about this film, is that it will undoubtedly give Margot Robbie attention for Best Actress, and rightfully so, as she delivers the intensity of her role as effectively as the more vulnerable moments. It is also always fascinating to see the alleged true story of a the rise and fall of a public figure, and the way they weaved the interviews with the narrative was rather clever. This film excels the greatest as a character study, we are treated to specific moments in Tonya's career which directly affected every decision, and I was ultimately very invested in her character. There are a few moments in which the film breaks the fourth wall with a very satirical undertone and none of these moments really worked for me. Overall, this film is as effective with pathos as it is informative, and I would definitely look into this for Margot Robbie's performance alone.

SCORE - 83/100

49. Happy Death Day

Release Date: October 13

This was very fun and entertaining! It's not going to go down as one of the greats, and it's definitely not the freshest movie ever made but I did not have the desire to check the clock once in this movie. Charming, funny(surprisingly), well-acted, very well edited, very fun slumber party movie. Ending was a little "meh", but I'll take what I can get after the death of slasher films.

GRADE - 75/100
Wait, they still make these?

Thanks for writing this review. I'm curious to see what 2017 has for this genre.

Wait, they still make these?

Thanks for writing this review. I'm curious to see what 2017 has for this genre.
They still make slashers! However, most of them have trouble reaching the mainstream, or reaching almost anyone. This one was quite good! I also heard the Babysitter was decent, hopefully I can check it out soon.

They still make slashers! However, most of them have trouble reaching the mainstream, or reaching almost anyone. This one was quite good! I also heard the Babysitter was decent, hopefully I can check it out soon.
I've seen the Babysitter, even left a review of it, but if you happen to read it - it's coming from this mentality:

I used to watch slashers, not for the blood, but for the atmosphere. I've always felt that I was robbed of a cabin in the woods childhood. Campfires, ghost stories, and a little hanky panky out behind the baseball park dugout.

I've seen the Babysitter, even left a review of it, but if you happen to read it - it's coming from this mentality:

I used to watch slashers, not for the blood, but for the atmosphere. I've always felt that I was robbed of a cabin in the woods childhood. Campfires, ghost stories, and a little hanky panky out behind the baseball park dugout.
Just red your review! It's quite mixed, I hope I have a more enjoyable time with it, but you and I seem to have similar tastes. If I end up seeing it I'll post a review here as well

Just red your review! It's quite mixed, I hope I have a more enjoyable time with it, but you and I seem to have similar tastes. If I end up seeing it I'll post a review here as well
I may be a bit tempermental when watching movies. You know, if the cocoa isn't exactly the right temperature, or if I've run out of blue chips...high maintenance! ;P

I may be a bit tempermental when watching movies. You know, if the cocoa isn't exactly the right temperature, or if I've run out of blue chips...high maintenance! ;P
LOL. I'm the opposite, I'm very easy to please.