One Movie A Day Review Thread

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Should've watched My Bloody Valentine on Valentine's Day. I know I did.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
DAY 168: February 17th, 2009.

Punch Drunk Love

The thing that P.T.A films tend to have in common is that they are all overly long. I always mention how he could trim a few minutes here and there and still attain the same picture. Magnolia cracks in at 3 hours for crying out loud. Then comes Punch Drunk Love, the so called loner of his film resume. Okay, so I came up with that one myself, but I think it fits. This film has the same feel as any other P.T.A film, yet it still feels different. Hence a part of the family, but the loner of the group. It's funny how this one film of his is his shortest and yet I wanted it to be longer. That is irony.

Punch Drunk Love doesn't have any real plot, it's just about this weird guy who desires attention, among other weird things he wants/does. Smashing a family members glass windows? Okay, whatever helps you buddy. He gets messed up in some phone sex scam and falls in love with his sisters friend around the same time. These new things challenge him to step out of his comfort zone and do something that takes courage. There is no going from point A to B here, in my opinion, just things that happen to this guy and how he happens to react to them.

The lead character is played by Adam Sandler, in his first of a few semi serious roles. There is still a bit of comedy in his performance, and in the role itself. Running into a glass window is a gag you'll usually find in low-brow comedies (The Whole 9 Yards, even though I like that film) so seeing stuff like that seems out of place here. The subtle use of colour to draw attention to things was very well done. They even point this out numerous times in the film. (Why are you wearing that suit?)

This is my least favourite Anderson film, yet it's still a good film overall. It just doesn't seem as important as the others. It stands on it's own and I appreciate that, I just wanted a bit more from this one.

Suspect's Reviews

Nice review While I did like it, I found the whole idea ridiculous

I was waiting to see if anyone was going to ask me about this.

Yes, I missed a few days and seeing as my posts were so far back I decided to give up on it. Missing the days really put the nail in the coffin.

I missed a couple in June I believe.

Eh, that's cool. I'm amazed you kept it up as long as you did. I probably would've lost it inside four months at the outside.

Although I wouldn't know for sure unless I tried for myself...maybe in about five years.

Should've watched My Bloody Valentine on Valentine's Day. I know I did.
I'll have to check into this.

I was waiting to see if anyone was going to ask me about this.
Yes, I missed a few days and seeing as my posts were so far back I decided to give up on it. Missing the days really put the nail in the coffin.
I missed a couple in June I believe.
This thread just hit me a very few days ago. I was wondering if it was still going on, but I doubted it. I bet it's pretty much impossible for anyone to do this for an entire year. You know, because of life and stuff.

I don't know, I'm still considering tackling it at least once. Like I said earlier, it's probably not going to be anytime soon, though.

I think a slight change, like taking weekends off so you can stockpile a couple or something, might make a world of difference. That and major holidays.

I must say this was a valiant effort. I try to review about a movie every other day on my site and get burned out from time to time. I find that if I take a step back and then try to write three or so in the same day it works out pretty good. Still, that is a lot of work. Yoda's stockpiling suggestion is a good one.

With the re-emergence of this thread, it's got me wanting to try it all again.

If I tried, it would have to be in May, when I've finished school and I actually have something called time on my hands.

It would also give me an excuse to finish off the list that everyone posted in this thread of films for me to watch.

DAY 132: January 12th, 2009.

Tremors

Believe it or not, this is a smart film and one that I believe is underappreciated, despite spawning numerous sequels.

I agree. I was pleasantly surprised when I first saw this. I think a re-watch is in order.