Timeline

Tools    

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
I just about to do a thread on this. I'm glad you did though, because it seems all of my threads suck and die off....

Oh well. I can't wait for this movie! It looks awesome!

Never conform, never compromise....
looks like it could be a pretty good movie, I don't remember hearing anything about before though. When is it supposed to be out?
- Corey Taylor (2002)

Timeline will be released on November 26th by Paramount Pictures, and will be directed by Richard Donner.

Stars : Paul Walker, Gerard Butler, Frances O'Connor, Ethan Embry, Marla Welsh, Neal McDonough, Michael Sheen, Billy Connolly, Anna Friel and David Thewlis

It was beauty killed the beast.
Kong thinks the trailer looks pretty bad to be honest. Kong hasn't read the novel, but Crichton's books have often gotten slaughtered when made into movies (remember Sphere, and Congo?). Added to the shaky record of Crichton adaptations we have Paul I-can't-act-to-save-my-pathetic-life Walker as the leading man, and Frank I'm-sorry-for-writing-Suburban Commando Capello doing the scripting. And added to all of that is the fact that it's a Paramount movie. Paramount releases 90% crap, and almost all of their films have this underlying feeling that it was all for money. The only thing the film has going for it is Richard Donner, and he's not even that great. It's hokey trailer, and will probably end up being a hokey movie as well.

You've shattered my dreams Kong.

But Kong… it does have Gerard Butler and Ethan Embry…
Anyway, I haven’t read the novel either but I like most of Crichton’s stuff and will give this a chance… I liked The 13th Warrior

And Beale… your threads are good…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Thank you. I'm feeling much better about myself!

I recently checked out the online trailer to this movie after reading Crichton's book and liked it more than I expected to. What does everyone think about Timeline? Are you guys planning on checking it out?

When first I heard about Timeline months ago, I thought it sounded just bad-ass: students going to medieval France to save their teacher? I mean, come on. Then I found out it was a Crichton book, and I thought that boded well. Crichton's stuff doesn't exactly bat for .1000 on the big screen, but more often than not it works nicely.

Seeing the trailer, however, was a bit of a disappointment. It doesn't seem nearly as cool as I thought it would, either in looks or in story... and Paul Walker is just so f*cking annoying... but, then, it's only a trailer.

Will I be going to see it in the theater? The Magic 8-Ball says, "Maybe"... so we'll see.

I've read a number of Crichton books and have enjoyed most of them. Timeline is my favorite. I doubt that I will like the movie, just one of those feelings. One reason is who they chose to play the stranded professor, Billy Connelly. I have never liked this guy. Another reason is that they changed him to be the young male leads Father, which he wasn't in the book. The book treated this as a serious science fiction story, and I really feel that the movie won't. It'll be an action movie with over the top performances. Oh well. I'll rent it.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

>>Crichton's stuff doesn't exactly bat for .1000 on the big screen, but more often than not it works nicely.<<

True...but in the case of Timeline we are also getting Donner as director and he has had a lot of box office success - Lethal Weapons, Goonies. I agree with you on Paul Walker....I am not a huge fun....but my perception was that this is more of an ensemble cast rather than a Paul Walker leading man movie. I'm not completely sold yet...but the more I hear of this movie the more I think it might be better than we all thought.

The movie comes out November 26.

It will also be interesting if they treat the character, Kate, seriously. In the book she is a central figure of strength, not weakness. She never really has to rely on the men all that much, and has a pivotal role in the fight with the central villian. I'll be pissed if she winds up being a minor character.

Can someone please tell me why they chose Paul Walker for this film?? If someone has an answer for that, I would love to read it. Thanx.

I’m not a Walker fan either but I normally enjoy Gerard Butler, Ethan Embry, and Francis O’Connor… and I like Crichton’s work so I’ll probably check this out. I'm one of the very few who actually enjoyed The 13th Warrior

>>Can someone please tell me why they chose Paul Walker for this film??

I don't know but I think I heard that Crichton was consulted so he must have thought Pual Walker was a good choice. I guess I'll wait to pass judgement until I see the film, but if he ends up being a poor casting choice I think this will be the last Paul Walker film I see. I am hopeful though.....

I agree with you both. The film definitely seems interesting, especially being based on a Crichton book. But I am also questioning the casting choice of Walker. But I am open to give it a chance for the sheer fact that the plot looks interesting.

Originally Posted by Fletch F Fletch
I agree with you both. The film definitely seems interesting, especially being based on a Crichton book. But I am also questioning the casting choice of Walker. But I am open to give it a chance for the sheer fact that the plot looks interesting.
That's exactly how I feel. Crichton, Donner, the cast as a whole outweigh my hesitation of Walker. I too am going to give it a chance. We will all have to resume this conversation once it is released and see if we are born again Paul Walker fans. :-)