The Perfect Double Bill

Tools    

Also, for a good triple bill: All That Heaven Allows, Blue Velvet, and American Beauty. The common theme is the dark side of suburbia, and each film is clearly influenced by the last.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Far from Heaven {directed by Safe's Todd Haynes) goes well with All That Heaven Allows, and of course, the latter film with Ali: Fear Eats the Soul from Fassbinder, the greatest recreator of the Sirkian Universe.

Not yet mentioned:

Matewan + Harlan County, USA

Pan's Labyrinth + Spirited Away or Coraline

Make Way For Tomorrow + Tokyo Story

Aguirre + Apocalypse Now

L'Atalante + Under the Bridges

Bonnie and Clyde + Badlands

Ikiru + Wild Strawberries

Let the night air cool you off
Suspiria & Black Swan

The Time Bandits & Back to the Future

Underworld (1927) & Goodfellas

Le Samourai & Blast of Silence

Eyes Without a Face & The Skin I Live In

Far from Heaven {directed by Safe's Todd Haynes) goes well with All That Heaven Allows, and of course, the latter film with Ali: Fear Eats the Soul from Fassbinder, the greatest recreator of the Sirkian Universe.
Yeah, between Safe and my new love of Sirk, I really want to see Far From Heaven. Is Ali: Fear Eats the Soul a good place to start with Fassbinder?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I started from Ali and don't regret, even though I've only seen 2 films of this director.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I am the Watcher in the Night
Watchmen and TDK, especially if you're a comic fan, 2 of the best comic book adaptations out there.

Or any of Sergio Leone's westerns back to back, can't go wrong there

Any two of my personal faves, Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction

Not Enough Time
Horton Hears A Who/The Lorax

Bobby/Lincoln

L.A. Confidential/The Man Who Wasn't There

"If dreams are like movies then memories are films about ghosts"

These are all terrific films, and hopefully you agree compliment each other well

Iron Man + Batman Begins

Taken + The Man from Nowhere

North by Northwest + Charade

Full Metal Jacket + Saving Private Ryan

Citizen Kane + 3 Idiots

City Lights + Breakfast at Tiffanys

Gladiator + Ip Man

American Psycho + Fight Club

Die Hard + Beverly Hills Cop

Ace Ventura 2 + Dumb and Dumber

Rear Window + Vertigo. Perhaps not the perfect double bill, but it could work.

Things in common: Hitchcock + James Stewart, with the latter suffering from disabilities in both films while trying to solve mysteries. In both films, there is plenty of suspense but there's romance as well, especially in Vertigo. In fact, I would say that in Vertigo there is more romance than suspense.

Name two films that you think would make a perfect double bill and why. It could be same actor, same director, same theme, even same film but one is a remake...Basically, any two films that would compliment or contrast perfectly.
The perfect double bill was actually a historical double bill:

My Neighbor Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies were released as a double bill 3 hour movie in 1988's Japan. It's the best film going experience ever offered to mankind. The cuteness of Totoro and the heart breaking intensity of Grave of the Fireflies are perfectly contrasted and measured if taken on a single dose:

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/stud...n-appreciation

I think that Tarkovsky's Solaris and Kubrick's 2001 would make a very nice double bill as well.

Pan's Labyrinth + Spirited Away or Coraline
Spirited Away is completely different and fits very different tastes than Pan's Labyrinth. The two movies have young girls as main characters and Pan's Labyrinth has some fantasy elements but it is fundamentally a historical drama set in dictatorial Spain while S.A. is a fantasy fairy tale. Del Toto is a huge Miyazaki fan but these two movies are completely different.

Aguirre + Apocalypse Now
That one would be awesome!

Ikiru + Wild Strawberries
Very awesome as well.

I'd go for Midnight Cowboy and The Graduate, though I'd probably put The Graduate first because it has some comic relief. They compliment each other well: there's the obvious Dustin Hoffman link, but there's similar themes of prostitution, alienation, ennui and a critique of Americana.

Brick + The Assassination of a High School President

The Conversation + Enemy of the State

Il Divo + Gomorrah

All the President's Men + Nixon: The Director's Cut

Scarface (1932) + Scarface (1983)

Yojimbo + For A Fistful of Dollars

Heat + Collateral

Gideon's Sword + Munich

LA Confidential + The Black Dahlia