Time Bandits: Was it a dream, or not?

Tools    

Boldly going.
Time Bandits, an underrated movie imo, is one of many fantasy movies that can be interpreted as either a dream that the main character has, or real events in the life of the protagonist.

What is your opinion? Did Kevin dream his adventure, or did it really happen to him?

Ending seems clearly real to me. I'm still traumatized from seeing that as a small kid.

If anything, I feel the final battle cements it as reality, as it presents harsh truth rather than a normal satisfying movie ending.

The truth is that the world is often cruel and random. And who wins at the end of the day has a lot more to do with the whims of fate than good or evil. And if there is a God, then he is not only the creator of such randomness, he's the cause of it all.

And even if you come away from it all as a much wiser person, there usually isn't any way to share that wisdom. Other people close to you will just do what they were going to do anyway.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
He's got photographic evidence, including a copy of the time map. So as far as I'm concerned it happened.

His parents are gone, but he can go literally anywhere, any time.

Also, for what it's worth, it seems a new series is in the works:

https://collider.com/time-bandits-ca...taika-waititi/

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

Victim of The Night
Yeah, I've seen the movie like 20 times and it has never even occurred to me that it was even hinted that it might be a dream. It all happened. And he is just left with the aftermath. Bold ending.

Since you felt strongly enough to start a thread about it here's a 26 minute video that may (or may not) explain it. I didn't watch it.

We're discussing the genre of the fantastic.
“The fantastic occupies the duration of this uncertainty. Once we choose one answer or the other, we leave the fantastic for a neighboring genre, the uncanny or the marvelous. The fantastic is that hesitation experienced by a person who knows only the laws of nature, confronting an apparently supernatural event” (Todorov 25).

Essentially, to Todorov, the uncanny is the supernatural explained, and the marvelous is the supernatural accepted as supernatural.
Source.

It might be a fantasy. It might not be. It's all a yarn anyway.

Since you felt strongly enough to start a thread about it here's a 26 minute video that may (or may not) explain it. I didn't watch it.

The video is by the same essayist, LOL.

Boldly going.
In my opinion, after Kevin first goes to sleep, everything is a dream, including Kevin's parents blowing up at the end.

WARNING: "evidence" spoilers below

1. The first bit of evidence is when Wally's machine guns goes off accidentally in Kevin's bedroom. If it had really happened, surely Kevin's parents would have heard it and come to investigate. Kevin's dad did come in to investigate the first night (when the knight and horse supposedly came through Kevin's bedroom), but likely because Kevin hopped out of bed and was rumbling around.
2. Throughout the movie, Kevin and the bandits drop out of the time portals in the sky from high distances and land on the ground on on top of people, and not only does anybody not die, nobody is even injured from these falls.
3. There's a lot of details that seem like the stuff of a kid's imagination, not reality:
Napoleon Bonaparte gets angry with his generals and fires them all, only to replace them with Kevin and the bandits... A giant has a boat as a hat... The dinosaur bones in the desert indicate that there are dinosaurs walking around, and yet they break the barrier that's hiding the Fortress of Darkness by simply throwing a skull at it...
4. How did the bandits convince all those people at the end to come and help? Seems unlikely, and again, the work of a child's overactive imagination.
5. Just as the video above points out, much of what is in Kevin's adventure we see in Kevin's bedroom: the knights, the ancient Greek soldiers, the tank, the spaceship, the chessboard, etc.
6. The fact that Kevin (seemingly) woke up at the end does not necessarily mean that he's actually awake: he fell asleep in ancient Greece as well. Both instances of falling asleep and waking are all part of the dream. If Kevin's parents blowing up really happened, you'd think somebody would have noticed. I mean, Kevin yells "Don't touch it!" and there's a loud explosion and his parents explode! Yet the firefighters just pack up and leave, and nobody comes to console the boy who is apparently an orphan now.

In my opinion, after Kevin first goes to sleep, everything is a dream, including Kevin's parents blowing up at the end.

WARNING: "evidence" spoilers below

1. The first bit of evidence is when Wally's machine guns goes off accidentally in Kevin's bedroom. If it had really happened, surely Kevin's parents would have heard it and come to investigate. Kevin's dad did come in to investigate the first night (when the knight and horse supposedly came through Kevin's bedroom), but likely because Kevin hopped out of bed and was rumbling around.
2. Throughout the movie, Kevin and the bandits drop out of the time portals in the sky from high distances and land on the ground on on top of people, and not only does anybody not die, nobody is even injured from these falls.
3. There's a lot of details that seem like the stuff of a kid's imagination, not reality:
Napoleon Bonaparte gets angry with his generals and fires them all, only to replace them with Kevin and the bandits... A giant has a boat as a hat... The dinosaur bones in the desert indicate that there are dinosaurs walking around, and yet they break the barrier that's hiding the Fortress of Darkness by simply throwing a skull at it...
4. How did the bandits convince all those people at the end to come and help? Seems unlikely, and again, the work of a child's overactive imagination.
5. Just as the video above points out, much of what is in Kevin's adventure we see in Kevin's bedroom: the knights, the ancient Greek soldiers, the tank, the spaceship, the chessboard, etc.
6. The fact that Kevin (seemingly) woke up at the end does not necessarily mean that he's actually awake: he fell asleep in ancient Greece as well. Both instances of falling asleep and waking are all part of the dream. If Kevin's parents blowing up really happened, you'd think somebody would have noticed. I mean, Kevin yells "Don't touch it!" and there's a loud explosion and his parents explode! Yet the firefighters just pack up and leave, and nobody comes to console the boy who is apparently an orphan now.
I agree. This story is too crazy to be real, even for a movie.