Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I have to return some videotapes.

Enemy - I needed a rewatch on this after I got it explained to me. Enjoyed it very much, even if the people I was watching it with didn't.

I rewatched the Star Wars movies not too long ago after seeing the trailer for the new one. They are not my favorite Sci-Fi work (This may be because I was first introduced to this franchise through the Phantom Menace when I was younger and it came out right when I started going to the cinema and started to develop a taste) but I appreciate them for what they are.
SW: The Phantom Menace
(Gets a 1.5 because of Liam Neeson & Darth Maul)

SW: Attack of the Clones
(Gets a 1 because of Christopher Lee.....that is all. Ewan was slowly getting better through this one but you can't really blame him as almost everybody in the prequels was a cardboard cutout pretty much, Lee and McGregor were just the least terrible)

SW: Revenge of the Sith
(gets a 2.5 because Ewan McGregor was the shining light of these prequels and was pretty good in the third movie and the saber battle at the end between him and Anakin was actually pretty good)

SW: A New Hope

SW: Empire Strikes Back

SW: Return of the Jedi

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994)

I've missed a couple of of the Freddy Kreuger films despite being a fan of the series. I haven't seen Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)---I think I might have dodged that one because Roseanne Barr was in it---can't stand her!; and I haven't seen Freddy vs. Jason (2003) yet. But I rectified missing one last night and that is the one mentioned at the top of the page here.

I really enjoyed this one. Although I think I prefer the joking Freddy, I consider the original a classic horror film and I like that they went back to the dark theme of the first one. If you don't know, actress Heather Langenkamp of the first and third movie plays herself in this one, dealing with strange happenings concerning her young son, mysterious phone calls, and some people from the first movie acting strange. Of course Freddy is involved but I don't want to say how as to not spoil any surprise. Langenkamp is very good in this, in fact I think it's the best she's been in all the Freddy movies. There is gore but it doesn't go overboard for those who dislike it. There is a good mystery going on here and lots of tension. One of my favorite entries in the series.

Despicable Me (2010)

At last I get to see this one, that's up to three movies now if you count the upcoming Minions movie. I loved this flick. The animation is super and the voice work is excellent, especially Steve Carell as Gru, the villain who wants to be a better bad guy than he is. Three children come into his life and gum up his plans for greater villainy. It's easy to see where the story is headed but it's the execution of it that makes it shine. The minions of Gru are of course scene stealers but don't hog all of the action. Still, they came out of this as stars and started showing up everywhere online. Anyway just a fun, fun film.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Despicable Me (2010)

At last I get to see this one, that's up to three movies now if you count the upcoming Minions movie. I loved this flick. The animation is super and the voice work is excellent, especially Steve Carell as Gru, the villain who wants to be a better bad guy than he is. Three children come into his life and gum up his plans for greater villainy. It's easy to see where the story is headed but it's the execution of it that makes it shine. The minions of Gru are of course scene stealers but don't hog all of the action. Still, they came out of this as stars and started showing up everywhere online. Anyway just a fun, fun film.

(1991)---I think I might have dodged that one because Roseanne Barr was in it---can't stand her!
She's hardly in it from what I can remember.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Midnight Cowboy (1969)

The last movie I saw before submitting my 60s list.
It didn't make the cut but it was close. A great soundtrack, impressive cinematography and editing and perfect acting from the 2 main actors, especially Dustin Hoffman who never ceases to surprise me.
It manages to portrait reality without hiding the ugly parts or glorifying the good ones. There are some resemblances to Requiem for a Dream, but without being neurotic.
Overall it's an impressive aural and visual experience that I truly enjoyed.

+

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Les quatre cents coups a.k.a. The 400 Blows (1959)

After some time focusing on the 60s, it's time to return to my watchlist and The 400 Blows was on top of it for quite some time, especially due to its obvious historic importance.
It's a visually stunning film who, thanks to a powerful acting by Léaud and a brilliant direction by Truffaut, never loses its simplicity while conveying a very powerful message.
I didn't connect with Antoine as much as I was expecting but I can definitely see why this is held in such a high regard.
Great movie overall!!!

Care for some gopher?
Go West (USA, 1925, Buster Keaton) -
+

Along with Three Ages the "worst" movie i've seen of Keaton. "Worst", because they're not bad films but very boring with only a few funny scenes in it.

She's hardly in it from what I can remember.
Nausicaa's right, she's barely in it.
Cool! I'll watch it now with the hope that Freddy slices and dices her. Nah, I really don't despise her, I just can't stand that grating voice. It's like Freddy's steel claws on a chalkboard.

Care for some gopher?
My Dinner with André (USA, 1981, Louis Malle) -
+

I really liked this conversation! I mean, the first 30 minutes were a bit dry because i wasn't interested in André's stories but when they turned to the sozial and philosophical themes, the discussion got really interesting.

Inside Out (2015)

This was a very good and original movie that I think deserves its hype. A very creative plot with all the humor and emotion that you expect from Pixar. Definitely worth a watch.

Kinda having trouble rating it but I'd say between
and