John Connor's Entertainment Log

→ in
Tools    

THE IPCRESS FILE 1965 Sidney J. Furie

1h 49m | Thriller | Drama
Writers: W.H. Canaway, James Doran
Cast: Michael Caine, Nigel Green, Guy Doleman, Sue Lloyd

Best Bond movie that's not a Bond movie. Seriously though, one of the best Spy Thrillers I've seen in a long time.

(80/100)

BROTHER 2000 Takeshi Kitano

1h 54m | Thriller | Drama | Crime
Writer: Takeshi Kitano
Cast: Takeshi Kitano, Omar Epps, Susumu Terajima

Compared to Fireworks and Sonatine this one is under seen and less talked about. Giving it a sort of Beat Takeshi hidden gem status. Yakuza meets LA gangland, the balance between violence, humor and drama is well executed. Also great chemistry between Takeshi Kitano and Omar Epps.

(80/100)

OPPENHEIMER 2023 Christopher Nolan

3h | Biography | Drama | History
Writers: Christopher Nolan, Kai Bird, Martin Sherwin
Cast: Cillian Murphy, Emily Blunt, Matt Damon, Robert Downey Jr., Florence Pugh, Josh Hartnett, Rami Malek, Benny Safdie

+ (82/100)

KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON 2023 Martin Scorsese

3h 26m | Crime | Drama | History
Writers: Eric Roth, Martin Scorsese, David Grann
Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert De Niro, Lily Gladstone, Jesse Plemons, Tantoo Cardinal, John Lithgow

The DiCaprio/De Niro combo, 'fuhgetaboutit'. Plemons and Gladstone were on point as well. Great cameo from Lithgow. The overall message and moral was good, this story needed to be told. Chapeau to Scorsese for telling it. The runtime and tempo was a problem and therefore so is the re-watchability. Other than that; 'best picture of the year'.

+ (83/100)

MIRAGE 1965 Edward Dmytryk
1h 48m | Thriller | Mystery | (Neo-Noir)
Writers: Peter Stone, Howard Fast
Cast: Gregory Peck, Diane Baker, Walter Matthau

(80/100)

A COLT IS MY PASSPORT 1967 ‘拳銃は俺のパスポート’ Takashi Nomura

1h 24m | Crime | Thriller | Action | (Japanese Noir)
Writer: Shinji Fujiwara, Hideichi Nagahara, Nobuo Yamada
Cast: Jō Shishido, Chitose Kobayashi, Jerry Fujio

+ (75/100)

MOLLY’S GAME 2017 Aaron Sorkin

2h 20m | Crime | Drama
Writer: Aaron Sorkin, Molly Bloom
Cast: Jessica Chastain, Idris Elba, Kevin Costner

(80/100)

THE HIT 1984 Stephen Frears

1h 38m | Crime | Drama | Thriller | (neo-noir)
Writer: Peter Prince
Cast: John Hurt, Terence Stamp, Tim Roth, Laura del Sol

- (77/100)

ELEVATOR TO THE GALLOWS 1958 Louis Malle

1h 31m | Crime | Thriller | Drama | (French Noir)
Writer: Roger Nimier, Louis Malle, Noël Calef
Cast: Jeanne Moreau, Maurice Ronet, Lino Ventura

The score and certain scenes were a 10/10! Overall very unique and good French Noir which can be found on the BFI Screen Guides' 100 Film Noirs and 100 unforgettable original soundtracks lists.

+ (75/100)

THE PLEDGE 2001 Sean Penn

2h 4m | Crime | Mystery | Drama | (Neo-Noir)
Writers: Friedrich Dürrenmatt, Jerzy Kromolowski, Mary Olson-Kromolowski
Cast: Jack Nicholson, Helen Mirren, Aaron Eckhart, Robin Wright, Sam Shepard, Benicio del Toro, Mickey Rourke, Harry Dean Stanton, Tom Noonan

+ (72/100)

OWNING MAHOWNY 2003 Richard Kwietniowski

1h 44m | Crime | Thriller | Drama
Writer: Gary Stephen Ross, Maurice Chauvet
Cast: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Minnie Driver, John Hurt

Great film and true story about gambling. Lots of focus on the addiction side, never glorifying the bad habit. Probably my favorite performance by Philip Seymour Hoffman.

(80/100)

DREAM SCENARIO 2023 2003 Kristoffer Borgli

1h 42m | Comedy | Fantasy
Writer: Kristoffer Borgli
Cast: Nicolas Cage, Julianne Nicholson, Lily Bird, Jessica Clement, Michael Cera

(73/100)

THE HOLDOVERS 2023 Alexander Payne

2h 13m | Comedy | Drama
Writer: David Hemingson
Cast: Paul Giamatti, Dominic Sessa, Da'Vine Joy Randolph

Entre nous, this is one of the best Christmas movies of all time.

- (76/100)

JAGGED EDGE 1985 Richard Marquand

1h 48m | Mystery | Drama | Thriller | (neo-noir)
Writer: Joe Eszterhas
Cast: Glenn Close, Jeff Bridges, Peter Coyote, Lance Henriksen, Robert Loggia

From the director of Return of the Jedi comes this awesome eighties (neo noir) murder mystery/court room drama. Robert Loggia was great in this one. Formulaic but nostalgic, loved it.

+ (74/10)

ANATOMY OF A FALL 2023 ‘Anatomie d'une chute’ Justine Triet

2h 31m | Drama | Thriller
Writers: Justine Triet, Arthur Harari
Cast: Sandra Hüller, Swann Arlaud, Milo Machado-Graner, Antoine Reinartz, Samuel Theis

Strong opening scene with an annoying but effective P.I.M.P. instrumental loop. Good performances by the dog, the son and the lawyers. Strong closing statement and scene.

- (66/10)

PRESUMED INNOCENT 1990 Alan J. Pakula (RE-WATCH)

Indy cheats on John McClane's ex wife. Suspenseful murder mystery/thriller/courtroom drama. Surprised this aged so well. The directing and casting was superb. Greta Scacchi seems like the perfect 90's femme fatale and Raul Julia must be related to Javier Bardem somehow. Accompanied by a beautiful and fitting John Williams score. Eligible as neo-noir according to imdb and letterboxd. Recommended!

-

Definitely flawed here and there; accent issues and Adams young hands (nitpicking) but overall very enjoyable good-looking bio pic. Penelope Cruz deserved a supporting actress nomination imo.
+

-

Re-watched Tightrope yesterday, for the first time since the late eighties. The 6,3 on imdb always made me hesitant of rewatching. My theory is that the obvious underrating was done by folks expecting Dirty Harry 6 or something more of that nature. Tightrope ticks all the neo-noir boxes for me. The music, atmosphere, visuals and grimy/sleezy detective story give you that hard to pinpoint noir vibe that separates it from the typical ‘Serial Killer Thriller’. Glad I revisited, props to Wyldsyde for nominating it otherwise I probably wouldn’t have.

-